Hawkings Search For E.t

Problem is people don't give religion the time of day, maybe if you tried praying for something and giving it a try you would understand ask The Lord something within reason and see what happens just use your prayers wise and don't be selfish and pray for silly things such as your team to win at football etc no point saying you don't belive if you don't at least try to belive

Have you ever watched 'the secret' the law of attraction. If not you might find it interesting. It's basically about believing you have something until it comes to you. No praying involved;)

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't even initiate conversation with the wife half the time lol

we put men on the moon long before we put little wheels on suitcases ....how funked up is that?

hmm I don't have a watch of this it's not long and very interesting '  

It's a bit puzzling when you look out into the cosmos an see such complicated, mindbogglingly, yet beautiful things, an then look on earth at us humans, an think et done it, no evidence, nothing like

An I get laughed at for thinking, it was created, oh well

Problem is people don't give religion the time of day, maybe if you tried praying for something and giving it a try you would understand ask The Lord something within reason and see what happens just use your prayers wise and don't be selfish and pray for silly things such as your team to win at football etc no point saying you don't belive if you don't at least try to belive

Have you ever watched 'the secret' the law of attraction. If not you might find it interesting. It's basically about believing you have something until it comes to you. No praying involved;)
ive been believing Iam going too have the winning euro millions ticket the b*****ds still not come too me yet
  • Like 1

So wats the story on this new planet that's like earth THL science squad how come were not sending building a mothership and heading there the now and something that has boggled my mind for a while hoping some one can explain why is it we can't just make a planet habitable for human race I mean we alrdy change the structure of DNA why can't we change the DNA of an organism too that can produce a atmosphere around it's self

So wats the story on this new planet that's like earth THL science squad how come were not sending building a mothership and heading there the now and something that has boggled my mind for a while hoping some one can explain why is it we can't just make a planet habitable for human race I mean we alrdy change the structure of DNA why can't we change the DNA of an organism too that can produce a atmosphere around it's self

NASA's Voyager 1 probe launched in 1977 and has just left our Solar System, the nearest star in which it will eventually pass is 40,000 years away......

• Like 1

NASA's Voyager 1 probe launched in 1977 and has just left our Solar System, the nearest star in which it will eventually pass is 40,000 years away......
ow we'll not that long too wait then
  • Like 1

This Kepler 452b, or Earth 2.0 as it's being called, is 1400 lightyears away. So it takes light 1400 years to travel from there to here. According to Special Relativity, nothing can break the speed light (approximately 300'000 km/s), so assuming a space ship can travel at very close to the speed of light, for us on Earth it would take that space ship just over 1400 years to get there! Which is obviously of little use to us sat at home waiting for 'contact'...

However, special relativity also teaches us that time dilates (slows down) as you travel faster.... to the point where it effectively stops as you reach the speed of light. You can't reach the speed of light as mass is also relativistic and increases to be infinite at light speed, but we could theoretically achieve speeds of anything up to light speed making time VERY VERY slow for the travellers compared to everyone on Earth. If we could hit speeds of 99% the speed of light then the 1400 year journey would only take 197 years for the travellers (still 1400 years on Earth, so don't stay up late watching the news). At 99.9% light speed the journey would be reduced to 62 years but still for those on Earth it would appear to take 1400 years.

Reaching ever greater speeds would be a compounding problem. As mass increases with velocity the acceleration will decrease making it more difficult to achieve the required speed in a reasonable time. My calculations above assume instant speed. Accelerating to those speeds is the real problem. It's fairly safe to assume any mission would be a multi generational one.

I hope that illustrates how Relativity can be used both to our advantage and disadvantage with space travel.

Edited by Born Hunter

This Kepler 452b, or Earth 2.0 as it's being called, is 1400 lightyears away. So it takes light 1400 years to travel from there to here. According to Special Relativity, nothing can break the speed light (approximately 300'000 km/s), so assuming a space ship can travel at very close to the speed of light, for us on Earth it would take that space ship just over 1400 years to get there! Which is obviously of little use to us sat at home waiting for 'contact'...

However, special relativity also teaches us that time dilates (slows down) as you travel faster.... to the point where it effectively stops as you reach the speed of light. You can't reach the speed of light as mass is also relativistic and increases to be infinite at light speed, but we could theoretically achieve speeds of anything up to light speed making time VERY VERY slow for the travellers compared to everyone on Earth. If we could hit speeds of 99% the speed of light then the 1400 year journey would only take 197 years for the travellers (still 1400 years on Earth, so don't stay up late watching the news). At 99.9% light speed the journey would be reduced to 62 years but still for those on Earth it would appear to take 1400 years.

Reaching ever greater speeds would be a compounding problem. As mass increases with velocity the acceleration will decrease making it more difficult to achieve the required speed in a reasonable time. My calculations above assume instant speed. Accelerating to those speeds is the real problem. It's fairly safe to assume any mission would be a multi generational one.

I hope that illustrates how Relativity can be used both to our advantage and disadvantage with space travel.

The power needed to reach near the speed of light for anything approaching our size would be gigantic, maybe centuries away.

Yeh I remember that stuff from that program that cox fella did,,I remember him saying it would take 200 years to get to the closest planet they think might have life on...I also seem to remember them saying the space craft wouldn't just be big,,,,but something so big it's almost inconceivable to us,,,as big as a large city,,,or bigger....

It's watching programs like this,,,that make me completely disbelieve ailien sightings....don't get me wrong,,I think there's life out there ,,,hell they think there may have been life on Mars albeit ,,,inverterbrate life...but I'm sure there must be life somewhere ,,even intelligent life,,,,but I just can't believe they are traveling here,,,the distances are just to great,,,,

Unless there is a stargate.....

• Like 1

This is all assuming the travellers in question are subject to the same laws of physics as we know them. :thumbs:

This is all assuming the travellers in question are subject to the same laws of physics as we know them. :thumbs:

It's highly likely they will be. Gravity didn't suddenly change when we went to the moon, or sent probes across the solar system etc etc. Despite what everyone seems to think, we are capable of experimentation through observation of natural events on the galactic level. :thumbs:

It's entirely likely that we will encounter new phenomena though which require modifications to existing theories in light of experimentation carried out under previously untested conditions. But to say what we have tested here, under the same conditions in another point in space and or time, might be different, I find highly unlikely.

• Like 1

If the Big Bang theory is correct then the chance of us meeting intelligent life in the next few centuries is slim to none. Earth is perfect for life and it's took us this long to evolve into the intelligent creatures that we are, the same timescale of evolution would more than likely be similar on other planets that could contain life.

Edited by DogFox123

So what is the universe expanding in to? If light travels at 186000 miles per second at the 1second mark after the bang light traveled 186000 miles, but into what exactly?????? If nothing was there before

yeah this gets me and surely something cannot expnd in to nothing? someone said the universe is like a bubble expanding but the bubble is expanding in to the atmosphere what can the universe be expanding into?

Edited by staffs riffraff
  • Like 1

Another thing about E.T and aliens,,,,I've always thought,,the conspiracy theory's ,,we're started by governments to cover up other stuff,,ie spying testing new air craft,,or whatever,,,there's so many folk out wanting to believe in ET,,,that it's a convenient scape goat...

Here's a for instance....joe blogs takes a pic of a space ship,,,he's interviewed by plod,,,then airforce and finally ,,,the men in black suits...then his pics go missing nice and convenient ,,,he's told to keep stumm by the suits,,..but he doesn't (and actually the black suits don't want him to) he goes to press,,they run the story,,,,and yet another conspiracy that there must be aliens and the government is covering it up...

The actual pic was some new top secret aircraft...

• Like 1