Older Dog And Lamp : /

Right well I've got me tin hat on ready for this one,

: )

So daytime man myself till late, not the dogs fault,

. But the opportunity has risen for some night time excursions nothing big , I snook on tonight amidst the drisel three easy rabbits, easy runs for a lamp dog , and my dogs using his ears and looking at the cover , now if the sun was up id be pleased as punch , I even had our back to the cover hoping he'd spot the little feckers dancing across the beam , dogs 5 by the way , what can I do even walked up on one tonight , can I turn him any input cheers j ,

Get him out get him out and get him out again he will soon click .... Just make sure every slip he had are easy ... If in doubt leave him on the slip and look for another one .......

• Like 11

Get him out get him out and get him out again he will soon click .... Just make sure every slip he had are easy ... If in doubt leave him on the slip and look for another one .......

That's the thing walkiking up he ain't spotting them ? so didn't slip him . He's all bloody ears lol . Will keep going hopefully get a squater soon ,

That's the thing walkiking up he ain't spotting them so didn't slip him . He's all bloody ears lol . Will keep going hopefully get a squater soon ,

Try and get one running so he sees it easier :thumbs:

first time I went lamping was with an older bitch slipping on rabbits that looked massive and so obvious to me' she could not see em though . but as soon as I started walking her up and just quietly sising her on the penny dropped. I now lamp all mine' but being a day man I start that first and have never had a problem entering one to the lamp since. and despite popular belief coursing dogs make passable lampers. atb two crows.

• Like 1

For an older dog ,unused to the dazzler, it is like entering a whole new world... :yes:

Yeah, but as u know all too well, it's still ALOT easier for the dog if the rabbit is running before the dog is slipped on it :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark

it will soon click if you keep getting him out and are you using a dark red filter if so try a amber one and try an find a field just cut the grass will be shorter so he may see them a bit easier im sure myxi will raise its ugly head soon and thats a ideal time to get him spotting an do the poor feckers a favour at the same time good luck with your night time forays

Yep just keep getting him out. Only thing can add is bigger fields the better. So can walk out on a squatter. I would get someone to do the lamping for you so you can hold the slip and with other free hand gentle direct his head in the direction of the rabbit to focus his vision to the direction of the rabbit so if it lifts he should spot. That combined with little hish or psst so he learn that noise means rabbit in beam. No good slippig from distance as old habbits of scent and hedge rows will kick in to his mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Well bit of an update we're getting close : ) I've had a few shines round the field since I posted not slipped the dog much , the other night there was one a good way out I was heading to it side on but the dog hadn't seen it I slipped him anyway the rabbit moved and ye mutt carried on in a straight line towards the trees : /

Tonight was improvement I've been going on and making sure the covers well behind us , I've not been using any noises I use in the daytime as this has him doing a u turn and looking at the bushes ,

Anyhow must use a bit of rope as a slip doh , there was two slap bang centre of the field in the beam, I felt the dog pull he'd spotted one of them at least I put the light off while I undid the lead double doh the feckers moved I picked one of them up as the dog thundered across the field but he ran straight to where they originally were and wasn't following the beam and began sniffing about the bushes , I wandered over put him on the lead and shined back In the direction He'd just ran , what's that I thought just in front of us some ones dropped a jumper or is it Brock no it's a rabbit , it had obviously dropped to the deck as the dog thundered over it in the dark , once agAin I dropped the beam as I undid the clip doh doh doh slip lead doh , and it must of been fast away as there was no sight , so we had a wander round in the other direction not expecting anything as the thundering of the dog would have spooked most f not all. I got back round to near where we entered the field light on, two half growns some ten metres from the edge of the wood I had the collar in my hand and thought what the heck he was looking straight down the beam, I let him off and he was straight behind one up the edge of the wood , now it was clear to tell that we both new Mr rabbit was going to slink off at any point into the black of the wood down his leafy corridor , but you just never know a false move and game on , but as sure as chips are chips he did that,me dog danced back toward me along the edge of the wood and I put him back on the lead with a good bit of fuss made of him , it was a cracking evening ok the moon was out but there's a fair bit of light pollution even on a good night there , so i headed to the middle of the field for a sit down it was bliss the grass felt good I'm getting used to this darkness foraying lol, after a while I shone the beam around in a couple of spots the dogs head followed the beam as it moved across the half moon lit darkness : ) progress any night now for sure , then off home for a nice cup of tea,

• Like 2