Giant Hogweed

Its been around for years we were always warned about it as kids in the 80's

Are you from that area?

I don't think I've ever seen it down here.

Mate, its everywhere, I`m in Hampshire.

Theres also a few look-a-likes that are slightly less toxic.

I didnt know it was so toxic till Walshie mentioned it. Its making big news lately, burning children... Look for the purple blotches on the stems, thats the one to avoid.

It was around where I grew up in Essex, I'm amazed I never got burnt by it.........I had no idea it was so toxic. I was actually photographing one in holland a couple of weeks ago......

Are you from that area?

I didnt know it was so toxic till Walshie mentioned it. Its making big news lately, burning children... Look for the purple blotches on the stems, thats the one to avoid.

hemlock............

Are you from that area?

hemlock............

No, Giant hog weed... Although hemlock also has purple stems/blotches - http://www.maine.gov/dacf/php/horticulture/hogweedlookalikes.shtml Either way, leave well alone.

Common hogweed CAN emit the same stuff that giant hogweed does, but it's unlikely. It's something to do with a defence mechanism, so if common hogweed is attacked by say a fungus, it can be nearly as toxic as its larger cousin. You'd have to be very unlucky to come into contact with it while it's in this state, but I wouldn't want to find out.

Gets confusing with the good growing conditions we've had this year. I pick common hogweed every day for the rabbits, it's their absolute favourite, but the stuff has grown MASSIVE this year, I find the giant hogweed stinks if you even get near it.

There is one plant of the giant hogweed near me, and everything avoids it. The common stuff i have to fight the cattle and deer for lol!