Ferret Finders

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never seen a mk 3 that is as acurate at depth marking than the mk1,,, the km 3 is always out,,,usually over reading,,,if it says 4 foot its 2 foot,,,and never seen one go to 8 foot above the collar,,,

Got both a mk3 and a mk1, plus mate brings his mk1 along as well.   Generally use the mk3 for searching with its 16ft range and finding the ferret to within a metre or so. Then if a dig is required

I hated the MK3 at first and slated it on here,regularly....wouldn't be without it now,much prefer it to the MK1,still think theres room for improvement though.Search/Locate is unnecessary,should just

Read them all, defiantly sticking to the mk1, it's perfect.. Why did deben not stick with it or just make it again

They say it was due to component parts being obsolete, which is complete bollocks. I can build a complete new mk1 ferret finder including brand new chip sets, the only issue is the ferrite rod. every other component can be bought off the shelf.

The reason the MK1 stopped being produced is because the company that made them moved onto new technology, these are drain finders adapted to our use. the same for the mk3. The mk3 finders are only have to be accurate to within 12" to pass quality control hence the inaccuracy with a good few of them. I have however used one that was pin point accurate.

I have a pile of mk1 boxes and collars and a mk3m, the latter is only used in certain spots where the interference is too much for the old knocker boxes.

• Like 1

Love them or loathe them if your doing some serious ferreting you need one you don't have the time to sit idly by waiting on the ferret so there will always be a market for them weather it's the mo 1,2,3 or 4 when it shows

Read them all, defiantly sticking to the mk1, it's perfect.. Why did deben not stick with it or just make it again

They say it was due to component parts being obsolete, which is complete bollocks. I can build a complete new mk1 ferret finder including brand new chip sets, the only issue is the ferrite rod. every other component can be bought off the shelf.

The reason the MK1 stopped being produced is because the company that made them moved onto new technology, these are drain finders adapted to our use. the same for the mk3. The mk3 finders are only have to be accurate to within 12" to pass quality control hence the inaccuracy with a good few of them. I have however used one that was pin point accurate.

I have a pile of mk1 boxes and collars and a mk3m, the latter is only used in certain spots where the interference is too much for the old knocker boxes.

I work at a university and took a mk1 box in to our electrical dept and they reckoned they could knock one up for change back from a fiver but with the id numbers scored off the chips it could take years to try and find what components they used

I work at a university and took a mk1 box in to our electrical dept and they reckoned they could knock one up for change back from a fiver but with the id numbers scored off the chips it could take years to try and find what components they used

components are peanuts, the PCB's are also peanuts once youve done the PCB file. finding the exact mix used in the ferrite is the problem, i could use another ferrite but the frequency would be slightly different so wouldn't work with existing mk1 collars. the chip numbers arent a problem ;)

Think the problem in getting a investor to put up there cash is its a limited market and not a big return , or else somebody else other than debens would be making them

Hi Nelson

Found this out off another blog some where the guy said the IC's are 4007 if that makes sense.

Cheers Arry

Arry,

That blog was a long time ago if i remember. chips have a bigger id than simple numbers, however i can see where that chap thought that could be part of the numbers if deben had made a poor job of rubbing them off.

Think the problem in getting a investor to put up there cash is its a limited market and not a big return , or else somebody else other than debens would be making them

you'd get a fairly good return but the licence fee would cost an arm and a leg :yes: