Top Tips

Guest vin

Its a bit like Vin's tip if a ferret won't come out and you have another ferret then gut the rabbit rub the paunch on the back of the other ferret and put to ground. This will tempt the other out.

another is like Pie-Eyed's tip put a bell on a elastic band but put it on the ferret tail it does not get clogged with mud so easily.

IF a ferret wont come out? its mostly likely trying to get a rabbit to bolt :thumbs: which is the purpose of the ferret being entered into the warren IMHO

So gutting a rabbit, or as you suggest rubbing it on another ferrets back to get your ferret back :hmm: does nt fit my idea of a working ferret that leaves a rabbit to go after a smell of guts??? a jacker by any other name

Y.I.S Leeview

I wouldn't go as far as classifying it a Jacker if its stuck down a warren trying to bolt a bunny... it must be doing something right . ? I'm just saying that sometimes when there scratching away for ages at a bottled up bunny, they might get a whif of an instant take away around the corner..they will often come for a quick look in-case they're missing something... this often presents the opportunity to quickly grab the Ferret before it goes back down.

I have done this myself many many times on warrens too deep or awkward to safely dig.

I would not feed a Jacker of any sort in my team.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dont feed cheap cat biscuits from supermarkets as a staple diet for your ferrets excluding anything else...seen this done over a few generations with a mates ferrets and they always seem to snap thei

Try not to over-complicate the ferreting game,...keep it simple,..in and out,..no fecking about..

Always take a smaller bloke with you,,,,to order around and fetch and carry......

Posted Images

I agree.

No didn't mean it to sound like that. Its a thing we used to do if we were laid up, we didn't used to have finders and rough and windy day made it hard to locate ferret and rabbit.

I never heard the work "jacker" is it local to your area Vin. Got the meaning now though.

Cheers Arry

Its a bit like Vin's tip if a ferret won't come out and you have another ferret then gut the rabbit rub the paunch on the back of the other ferret and put to ground. This will tempt the other out.

another is like Pie-Eyed's tip put a bell on a elastic band but put it on the ferret tail it does not get clogged with mud so easily.

IF a ferret wont come out? its mostly likely trying to get a rabbit to bolt :thumbs: which is the purpose of the ferret being entered into the warren IMHO

So gutting a rabbit, or as you suggest rubbing it on another ferrets back to get your ferret back :hmm: does nt fit my idea of a working ferret that leaves a rabbit to go after a smell of guts??? a jacker by any other name

Y.I.S Leeview

I wouldn't go as far as classifying it a Jacker if its stuck down a warren trying to bolt a bunny... it must be doing something right . ? I'm just saying that sometimes when there scratching away for ages at a bottled up bunny, they might get a whif of an instant take away around the corner..they will often come for a quick look in-case they're missing something... this often presents the opportunity to quickly grab the Ferret before it goes back down.

I have done this myself many many times on warrens too deep or awkward to safely dig.

its doing something right till it leaves the rabbit then its a jacker, it comes away giving the rabbit a chance to move on(not bolt) ask any terrier lad if they'd have a terrier that left a fox for quick look about? or a coursing dog left running a hare to check out a bit of game cover? or a marking dog after a bolting rabbit stops and marks a warren

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

its doing something right till it leaves the rabbit then its a jacker, it comes away giving the rabbit a chance to move on(not bolt) ask any terrier lad if they'd have a terrier that left a fox for quick look about? or a coursing dog left running a hare to check out a bit of game cover? or a marking dog after a bolting rabbit stops and marks a warren

Y.I.S Leeview

Your picking at fine straws there Leeview.. its not fox digging were talking about or hare coursing. jacking Is a subject for a different type of situation altogether.

I would be quite happy to show you any of my Jackers outwork your team any day of the week..and I would not be leaving any bunnies below ground.

I've a couple of good jills and my mate has a couple rescues jills we trying bring on. I'm not saying there better that anybody else's. The pair of us go and have a good day. All i'm saying is its some old little tricks we used to use, try it if you want. We have nobody round here who is taking up ferreting no youngsters no new people just my old mate and there all in there sixty's too. its nice to be able tell people little thing we used to do to get use out of trouble.

I'm really am interested in the word you are using "jackers" i've never hear that before.

Cheers Arry

I totally agree with Vin ferretting cannot be compared to fox digging or hare coursing and as far as the ferret being a jacker thats far from it, what if the ground is undiggable are you going to walk away and leave your ferret

Its a very useful thing to be able to draw a ferret out when you cant dig, for example I do an old landfill sight where digging is very difficult. If the ferret is a jacker you wont need to open a rabbit to get them out theyl come out on their own.

We have found putting a net curtain ( weighted, where the wire would go ) over the ferret courts at this time of year , keeps un wanted pests out, even though they are kept clean, the flys are always going be attracted, assuming You feed flesh of course.

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

Your picking at fine straws there Leeview.. its not fox digging were talking about or hare coursing. jacking Is a subject for a different type of situation altogether.

I would be quite happy to show you any of my Jackers outwork your team any day of the week..and I would not be leaving any bunnies below ground.

fine straws,no you were talking about a ferret leaving a rabbit because it was distracted by another scent and I asked about the terrier leaving a fox to go investigate something else, same with the coursing. If the ferret,terrier or lurcher is nt committed to the job you want it to do its a jacker plain and simple.

Not once have I ever dug a dead rabbit thats been killed by having its arse scratched, the ferrets done a job sticking with the rabbit until dug to, other scenario is the kill and move on type.

"....and I would not be leaving any bunnies below ground." a ferret coming off a rabbit is surely doing just that IMHO?

I'll decline the offer of seeing your team work as I already have seen them, unless you have some new lines now?

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Yea I agree with you. All I'm saying was, its like a last resort at the end of the day somewhere where you can't dig and you want to get every thing together and go home before darkness comes in. Its not the sort of thing you do all the time just when needs must and rarely these days with ferret finders.

Im not trying to offend any body. Its some thing that was shown to me when I was a kid and I thought I would share it nobody has to use it but it has got me out of trouble before now.

thanks for explaining Jacker as we don't us that term down here.

Cheers Arry

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

fine straws,no you were talking about a ferret leaving a rabbit because it was distracted by another scent and I asked about the terrier leaving a fox to go investigate something else, same with the coursing. If the ferret,terrier or lurcher is nt committed to the job you want it to do its a jacker plain and simple.

Not once have I ever dug a dead rabbit thats been killed by having its arse scratched, the ferrets done a job sticking with the rabbit until dug to, other scenario is the kill and move on type.

"....and I would not be leaving any bunnies below ground." a ferret coming off a rabbit is surely doing just that IMHO?

I'll decline the offer of seeing your team work as I already have seen them, unless you have some new lines now?

Y.I.S Leeview

Have you ever had to or wanted to get your ferret out of a warren without digging it out ? If so in your infinite wisdom..how is this achieved when its scratching away at a bunnys ass ? Plus how many times have you had the ferret balled up with a bunny in more than one place in a warren ? you think its 1 rabbit moving and it 2 or 3 seperate bunnys all stuck up tubes..the ferret comes away from one to another and the one he was on previously then has chance to bolt,which it often does..

Trying to compare a terrier battling below ground face to face with a Fox and a Lurcher in hot pursuit of a course is stupid...really isnt it ? Because that's at the height of its adrenalin flow...now if you compared the ferret coming off a rabbits throat in the middle of a death roll I would be thinking you had a point because it would be jacking from its objective. . yes they will stay scratching away at a balled up bunnies arse until they are dug too obviously ...but what if you cannot dig them ?

Don't forget I've seen you work old chap. . Stick to making the wheels pal..cause that's the most work your team gets...

My line's a lot better than your netting lines...so don't even go there.

Arry,

Jacker a term used to indicate someone or something has packed in or had enough, like the ferret has stopped hunting rats its jacked in, or the terrier has jacked to fox or a lurcher coursing or lamping.

Also used lot in the armed forces he jacked in training or jacked on a run, or tab/yomp (forced march) or a hard exercise in the field. Nowt to do with ferreting this mind but their you go.

PUD

Guys I'm sorry if i've pissed on you chips I didn't mean to offend you or any body. I'm sure your happy with your team as I am with mine.

I won't slag your team off as you are so passionate about them they are obviously really good.

I also are very happy with my small team.

So once again i'm sorry if i've pissed you guy off.

Cheers Arry