• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

used to have a little beddy whippet not sure of height but the terrier in this picture was 14 inch. She had 21 one night on the lamp and was a lovely little dog  

I have a beddy whippet bitch, just over 18". Decent ferreting, ratching, bitch. Catches a few daylight but to be honest just a yard short of pace, does ok on the lamp though in small fields. Sharp lit

Posted Images

A lot of small dogs look fast because of the fast action. I have a 12tts terrier here that looks electric and goes full pelt. Run alongside the lurcher pup you soon realise the little un is going nowhere fast. I think sometimes I hunt a different species of rabbit than others because a fit healthy rabbit on decent ground is no push over and can shift. I don't doubt there are some flyers around that are small but catch, but percentage wise a larger dog not big but 22tts - 24tts IMO at least where I hunt will catch more. Not knocking those smaller dogs I have a small lurcher pup myself just stating what i have seen in the field atb

Edited by matt1979
  • Like 3

I have a beddy whippet bitch, just over 18". Decent ferreting, ratching, bitch. Catches a few daylight but to be honest just a yard short of pace, does ok on the lamp though in small fields. Sharp little turner, she is a powerful built little thing for the x, Good drive in it which puts a few extra away i think.

DSC_0702_zps1r9yjl1d.jpg

• Like 4

A lot of small dogs look fast because of the fast action. I have a 12tts terrier here that looks electric and goes full pelt. Run alongside the lurcher pup you soon realise the little un is going nowhere fast. I think sometimes I hunt a different species of rabbit than others because a fit healthy rabbit on decent ground is no push over and can shift. I don't doubt there are some flyers around that are small but catch, but percentage wise a larger dog not big but 22tts - 24tts IMO at least where I hunt will catch more. Not knocking those smaller dogs I have a small lurcher pup myself just stating what i have seen in the field atb

Same thing I'm thinking. Alot of the places we lamp are arable, and no slow dog is getting near them. Same thing as some of these reverse 3/4 breds and heavier types, if you took one of these to some of these places, you'd go home empty handed, no matter how experienced the dog is. Again, just what I've seen

• Like 1

I have a beddy whippet bitch, just over 18". Decent ferreting, ratching, bitch. Catches a few daylight but to be honest just a yard short of pace, does ok on the lamp though in small fields. Sharp little turner, she is a powerful built little thing for the x, Good drive in it which puts a few extra away i think.

DSC_0702_zps1r9yjl1d.jpg

ive watched this little bitch work a cracking little worker plenty of drive.

i think the itie greys are very weak boned merlin better getting a purpose bred lurcher around the 2 4 inch mark if i was looking thats what i would get

well i bought a whippet x italian grey today along with 2 ferrets so i am hoping he'll be ok for ferreting , i have a whippet with a small bit of coliie in him as well , so we'll see how he does ... if he's no good he'll be a lovely little pet ..

Used too go out with a little jack Russell when we were like 11 never had a lurcher up here back then but we used too get a few rabbits with her and the slug guns back when nobody paid any attention too two kids walking up the town with an air rifle on there back

• Like 1