Desperate To Get Them Catching Rabbit

Here are my two Whippets, brother and sister and just under two years old. We live opposite a large field where in the early morning (around 6.30 by the time I get over there) it's crawling with rabbits. Both dogs only have to see them to put a chase on, they've come so close so many times to taking one down. I do think it's a matter of time before they get one. The only problem is the rabbits will naturally dive in to thick bush and as such the dogs lose them.

I have two quick-release leads that I use but I was wondering if there were any tips anyone has that'll help them with their first catch? I'm hoping once they've had one they'll be off and running. It's just trying to get that first one!

Am I going over too late? Do I need to be earlier to get them?, perhaps waiting with the dogs on a lead for one to stray too close before letting them off?

Any ideas welcome as I cannot wait for the day they catch one!

post-99759-0-63167500-1433180964_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

As above, day time take a ferret, or go at night, pick ur runs dont slip them on just any rabbit, wait till you see one far out squatting to start with, dogs might not see it straight away so be sure they seen it before u release?? good luck keep us posted

• Like 1

Get used to not catching much in the daytime,because it will mostly be like that. You dont want to get the dogs too used to loosing or they will loose belief in themselves.. Young dogs need success.

Take one out at night with a lamp and give them the easiest ones you can find..If they have myxy all the better..At night they will get farther out and have further to get home. When you catch for the first time,stop and take the dog home. Once they have had success missing a few in the daytime wont matter,but try not get them used to just chasing time after time without getting a catch.

• Like 2

Take a gun over the field with you. Tie dogs to the fence. Shoot a rabbit, the closer the better, you will know why in a min, then here's the trick, get the dogs attention, then get on all fours and go and retrieve the rabbit as fast as you can, when you get back to dogs make sure you got the rabbit in your mouth, take it out your mouth, get up and say right you soft pair of cnuts, if I can get one so can you. If that fails just do what gnipper says, and take 1 dog for now, on a wet windy night, learn where the rabbits are, what way your gonna approach them, where they usually bolt to and try and cut them routes off. If your dogs getting close of a day then should have an even better chance at night. Good luck and keep at it.

• Like 5

Hi lads, It's the first time I've had working dogs so getting used to how it all works to be honest, I slip them as soon as they rear up when they catch sight of a rabbit. It's amazing how much ground they cover in next to no time. Once all the rabbits have cleared they stay off the lead but are constantly sniffing trails and trying to get in the bushes. In fairness my bitch gives a good go at going through brambles but she'll only go so far before giving up. She's small but so agile.

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep at it (also set my alarm clock a little earlier) hopefully they will start catching before long. I took them out again this afternoon and Fin (my dog) nipped ones back legs before it got in to the bush out of the way, so near!

I'll give your pointers a go and will keep you all posted. Hopefully I'll upload a picture of a rabbit before long.

Really appreciate your help, what would be the best starter lamp to use? any old lamp off amazon? guy I go shooting with now and again told me to get a red lamp (which he uses) but it cost him quite a few quid, I'm just after a starter for now and as we get better I'll invest more.

Thanks again! I'll keep the updates coming..

Take a gun over the field with you. Tie dogs to the fence. Shoot a rabbit, the closer the better, you will know why in a min, then here's the trick, get the dogs attention, then get on all fours and go and retrieve the rabbit as fast as you can, when you get back to dogs make sure you got the rabbit in your mouth, take it out your mouth, get up and say right you soft pair of cnuts, if I can get one so can you. If that fails just do what gnipper says, and take 1 dog for now, on a wet windy night, learn where the rabbits are, what way your gonna approach them, where they usually bolt to and try and cut them routes off. If your dogs getting close of a day then should have an even better chance at night. Good luck and keep at it.

I believed you up until the point of getting on all fours! :laugh: although after a few too many I won't put it past us to give it a go (minus the gun..)