Ferreting Dogs... Whats The Best Type / Cross ? Size ?

Guest vin

Hello all.

What types of dogs make the best ferreting companions ?

We all have different types to suit the ground we work on etc etc,But if you had to start again next week with a puppy what would it be ?

Sometimes we make the dogs we have adapt to the ferreting from other jobs they were doing..But if you found yourself stuck with no old dog to help train the new pup and no mates to help you out etc ...What would you buy ?

Solely for the rabbiting job..not anything else ?

Not an all-rounder or jack of all trades....just a 24/7 365 rabbit dog. ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whippet x spaniel     Bushes, marks, catches, obedient, hard to pick fault really  

vin this bitch ticked every box for me saluki greyhound whippet collie the bitch     i am going to add a collie x to this bitch just for more brians      

thats just what I did 22/23" intense little beggar

Posted Images

What's up you board,, lol

Answer your question,,, up there on them hils,,just bolting to the dogs,,,venus is the dog,,,60lbs 25 ish ,,,strong wrists toes plenty of speed ,,get the job done quick...

Down here on the hedges,,, bonnie,,,, is the dog,,22inch 30 odd pound,,, with plenty of drive to stick there heads in the bushes

• Like 1

:no:Vin just won't have it Tomo...

I've offered, to send him up some of my finest, home bred, rabbiting Curs,...but, he is a man, 'obsessed with speed'...As you know, my stock relies, on pure stealth,...they are canine genius and trained in all the secret tumbling skills,.essential attributes that would be of great benefit on them steep Yorkshire Dales...

But still, he mocks my stock,..and laughs at my most kind offer... :blink:

DSC_8869.jpg

Now thats a nice dog. Is that what you use for ferreting...?

Hello all.

What types of dogs make the best ferreting companions ?

We all have different types to suit the ground we work on etc etc,But if you had to start again next week with a puppy what would it be ?

Sometimes we make the dogs we have adapt to the ferreting from other jobs they were doing..But if you found yourself stuck with no old dog to help train the new pup and no mates to help you out etc ...What would you buy ?

Solely for the rabbiting job..not anything else ?

Not an all-rounder or jack of all trades....just a 24/7 365 rabbit dog. ?

A collie and a lot more nets ;)
  • Like 3

I use my we beddy whippet 2nd cross bitch great nose marks silent and can catch bolters and can take tumbles and can work all day never need to speak to her does everything by instinct the way a ferreting dog should be and doesn't yap lol

• Like 3

:no:Vin just won't have it Tomo...

I've offered, to send him up some of my finest, home bred, rabbiting Curs,...but, he is a man, 'obsessed with speed'...As you know, my stock relies, on pure stealth,...they are canine genius and trained in all the secret tumbling skills,.essential attributes that would be of great benefit on them steep Yorkshire Dales... :yes:

DSC_8869.jpg

is that a lurcher?

very nice looking dog whatever it is.