Can A Terrier Be Any Good If Its Not Line Family Or Inter Bred

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is unfortunate we can't discuss the full working abilities of individual Terriers and what they have done, prior to being considered worthy of breeding from. Even taking the Ancestry into the equat

Gus and Sid, Gus is the smaller cobby one. He's by Sid and out of Treacle, Treacle is Floyd x Reeces Roxy, all original blood.

Nope, sorry FD she was totally unrelated and breeding unknown ! :-) When you come across an animal that impresses you so much you've got to try and bring it in. The pups from that litter are still

Posted Images

The best example I could give you is my yard, I came by new blood that impressed me so much I brought it in to my blood. Almost everything in my yard has blood from the new bitch in it now to varying degrees but it's always folded back into the original blood.

• Like 4

not everyone takes off there rose coloured glasses dillydog. in fact most line bred working terriers are badly inbred. due to the fear factor :yes: also like you say you fold it back into the old stock. have you ever crossed out to a different breed. ? when you brought in an outcross was it totally unrelated. and did the size come up when you outcrossed. .

Years ago i would have thought yes, but no id only have respect to the man who keeps his own line of all being the same, andwwhich is proven on. Its also what some woud say good and others say different , honesty ,and not jelousty.i met a man who breeds ,what he calls his family of workers for 30 years, black dog start, russel, then middleton type, and all the men be saying, brilliant terriers, yeh, whatever.

i agree with tinytiger. i do know that line bred terriers will have a better percentage of workers. and that the workstyle and type is more predictable. but the best ive seen the ones that stand out to me have been mongrels and crossbreds. worker to worker . i can only go on what i have seen and to be honest that wont be as much as most of you chaps. but it is fairly varied.

You will hear some say an outcross should be far removed from your own stock but this is not the case .Root stock of any type that is kept by different lads will go different paths ,different studs .This is imo the perfect outcross .To go far outside is too much of a gamble .Some similarities have to been present or a short fix is all it will offer ,been there done that never again .Your are only looking to reinvigorate not change .A swap pup is ideal for this as both parties benefit .To fold in a quick fix is too much of a gamble but others may have different veiws im sure .

Might be wrong but i think what Dillydog refers to is another branch of his type kept tight but non related in the short term .

• Like 2

Nope, sorry FD she was totally unrelated and breeding unknown ! :-)

When you come across an animal that impresses you so much you've got to try and bring it in. The pups from that litter are still outstanding now at nine and a half years old.

post-55605-0-22890200-1428435135_thumb.jpg

Each of these bitches have been bred from, some with dogs bred out of the same dam as them, half brother and sister and some have had dogs over them that are out of each other when bred to original stock and dogs that are half original and half new themselves.

Almost a line within a line

• Like 11