Can A Terrier Be Any Good If Its Not Line Family Or Inter Bred

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is unfortunate we can't discuss the full working abilities of individual Terriers and what they have done, prior to being considered worthy of breeding from. Even taking the Ancestry into the equat

Gus and Sid, Gus is the smaller cobby one. He's by Sid and out of Treacle, Treacle is Floyd x Reeces Roxy, all original blood.

Nope, sorry FD she was totally unrelated and breeding unknown ! :-) When you come across an animal that impresses you so much you've got to try and bring it in. The pups from that litter are still

Posted Images

Thanks marshman

twist and snap

Ones 12 months the other 10 month out of full litter sisters

both bred by dogs of the same line

family bred,line bred,inbred,worker to worker bit of it all I supose

Seen a fair few of their relations/ancestors work and all knew their job.

Cracking thread DD .Must take more pics .

I've got more, didn't want to come across as a know it all :-)

Far from it Dilydog, you can see from the comments that we are enjoying your posts and pics and we would all like to see more.

Thanks

• Like 3

Cracking thread DD .Must take more pics .

I've got more, didn't want to come across as a know it all :-)
good thread lads

dilly dog do you get many/any bad traits or habits in your terriers we all like to talk of good traits in our terriers but not many mention there being bad ones mine have a few but ive learnt to put up with it

atb woods

I can't think of any, the only thing I've got now which I didn't have before is wet sores. NS stuff always had them, I'd never even heard of them until I went to his yard. If you breed tight to a family you'll get all the successful bits but you'll get the bad things to.

I've tried all sorts of foods, remedies and old wives tales. I've been to vets and tried antibiotics and all manner of creams to but mostly they go as fast as they come and for example the old bitch Treacle might get one a year the size of your thumb nail.

Temperament is good and the work is there.post-55605-0-62793800-1428562221_thumb.jpg

They'll all chill out all day with each other without incident, what's not to like.

• Like 11

Up until the last 30 odd years terriers were bred mostly worker to worker fit for purpose came with this type of breeding ,since then a lot of breeding as gone on with terriers that look fit for purpose hence the reason why terriers are so hit and miss ,breeding from work is everythingfor myself looks and colour ??? have never done a days graft to my knowledge jmo

• Like 1

I don't know about other lines I don't keep them, Nicks yard was like this one, full of terriers all day. I wouldn't go out and leave them alone, I don't pay attention to them all day but I'm not stupid either.

The terriers I used to have would fight for the sake of it but they were the older part of his blood. Everything here is where Nick was when I last saw him or as close as humanly possible. I'd sooner have the older stuff to work but lifes a lot easier with this lot.

Why I'd sooner have the older stuff ? It's a personal thing, I get results with these the same as the old dogs but these have more brains and a steadier temperament.

• Like 5

Up until the last 30 odd years terriers were bred mostly worker to worker fit for purpose came with this type of breeding ,since then a lot of breeding as gone on with terriers that look fit for purpose hence the reason why terriers are so hit and miss ,breeding from work is everythingfor myself looks and colour ??? have never done a days graft to my knowledge jmo

Why wouldn't you breed worker to worker (best to best) from within a line ? English hounds have been bred like this and race horses for hundreds of years.

The colour and stamp starts to set itself because your doubling up on common traits.

• Like 4