• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eat less + work out more = weight loss   Been saying it for years. Apparently I'm lacking in empathy and compassion, and its never a fat person's fault that they are fat...

I follow the whole food diet.........             the whole packet of biscuits, the whole bottle of Coke, the whole packet of popcorn........

21 it not bad mochara,,,,but them things can be way off,,,lots of very fit lads that carry a bit of muscle can be way over,,,,,the best measuring tool,,,,is the mirror,,,and just be honest when you lo

Posted Images

Must admit I used all them bits of kit years ago,,,knee wraps,,belt ,,straps ect,,,but you soon figure out the knee wraps are ading lbs to your squat,,,but as you say it's not realy you doing it,,,

And the belt won't fit round me now,,lol

:laugh: +1 :thumbs:

Support gear, and PED's, IMHO are for competition.

I stick with compound lifts, and some unorthodox shit like splitting cords of firewood. For decades I've read up on some of the old time strongmen/lifters. Louis Cyr, Paul Anderson, Joe Greenstein. They trained hard and ate well. Their training regimes were incredibly simple. I believe we have a tendency to overthink the training. The latest greatest gear is bigger and better than last year.

With the fitness industry worth billions, per year, it's easy to get swept up in the chrome and mirrors aspect.

Lift

Eat

Rest

Repeat

Have fun with it. You're more likely to come back and do it again.

• Like 1

Just got back from the gym,,, did shoulders ,,,then went and did the circuit class again,,,I'm flat out on the sofa now,,,I'm budgeted,,,lol

Still i'll be shredded in another month.. :icon_redface:

Get on the mutant mass tomo

Feck that socks already calls me shrek ,,lol. ,,and if I'm going to have a thousand calories in one meal,,I could have Burger King.

Must admit I used all them bits of kit years ago,,,knee wraps,,belt ,,straps ect,,,but you soon figure out the knee wraps are ading lbs to your squat,,,but as you say it's not realy you doing it,,,

And the belt won't fit round me now,,lol

:laugh: +1 :thumbs:

Support gear, and PED's, IMHO are for competition.

I stick with compound lifts, and some unorthodox shit like splitting cords of firewood. For decades I've read up on some of the old time strongmen/lifters. Louis Cyr, Paul Anderson, Joe Greenstein. They trained hard and ate well. Their training regimes were incredibly simple. I believe we have a tendency to overthink the training. The latest greatest gear is bigger and better than last year.

With the fitness industry worth billions, per year, it's easy to get swept up in the chrome and mirrors aspect.

Lift

Eat

Rest

Repeat

Have fun with it. You're more likely to come back and do it again.

Much as i agree in theory you are talking about basic strongmen....men born with unusual natural strength....but for most people it does take a certain amount of support to go beyond their genetic potential,those guys back then never did that,freakishly strong as they were thats how they was made......most people never get anywhere near their natural potential clean they just dont have the patience......but for those who do things the right way and hit the wall of their development i dont see a problem with getting a little help to push beyond that.

Much as i agree in theory you are talking about basic strongmen....men born with unusual natural strength....but for most people it does take a certain amount of support to go beyond their genetic potential,those guys back then never did that,freakishly strong as they were thats how they was made......most people never get anywhere near their natural potential clean they just dont have the patience......but for those who do things the right way and hit the wall of their development i dont see a problem with getting a little help to push beyond that.

Agreed Gnash but I guess it depends what you want from your training. I found their stories inspiring and it's what got me into lifting. I knew I'd never be able to replicate their feats but I'm also a realist! How many people honestly look at an Olympia era picture of Arnold and think that is possible?

This whole thread is dedicated to diet. If you're serious though, it's a lifestyle. It doesn't have to be complicated. No one has to spend hours in the gym when some of the most grueling routines can be completed in under ¾ of an hour.

PEDs. I care not who uses them but I think they're largely pointless unless a competition, or some kind of money is on the table. I have nothing against steroid use whatsoever but the health risks of misuse are massive and irreversible. You know as well as I do that way too many people look at steroids before they look at anything else training and diet related. I've seen people spend fortunes on the stuff only to damage their renal systems negating everything they'd trained for up to that point.

I've trained on and off for the best part of 3 decades. I hope that doesn't come across as a boast as I'm trying to illustrate it more as a lifestyle, than anything else. The point I was trying to make is that I only care about functional strength. I'm not interested in cutting phases and symmetry (although I can appreciate the work involved.)

If I can't bust up this cord of firewood I'm going to have a very cold winter! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just got back from the gym,,, did shoulders ,,,then went and did the circuit class again,,,I'm flat out on the sofa now,,,I'm budgeted,,,lol

Still i'll be shredded in another month.. :icon_redface:

Get on the mutant mass tomo
Feck that socks already calls me shrek ,,lol. ,,and if I'm going to have a thousand calories in one meal,,I could have Burger King.

:laugh:

Agreed Gnash but I guess it depends what you want from your training. I found their stories inspiring and it's what got me into lifting. I knew I'd never be able to replicate their feats but I'm also a realist! How many people honestly look at an Olympia era picture of Arnold and think that is possible?

This whole thread is dedicated to diet. If you're serious though, it's a lifestyle. It doesn't have to be complicated. No one has to spend hours in the gym when some of the most grueling routines can be completed in under ¾ of an hour.

PEDs. I care not who uses them but I think they're largely pointless unless a competition, or some kind of money is on the table. I have nothing against steroid use whatsoever but the health risks of misuse are massive and irreversible. You know as well as I do that way too many people look at steroids before they look at anything else training and diet related. I've seen people spend fortunes on the stuff only to damage their renal systems negating everything they'd trained for up to that point.

I've trained on and off for the best part of 3 decades. I hope that doesn't come across as a boast as I'm trying to illustrate it more as a lifestyle, than anything else. The point I was trying to make is that I only care about functional strength. I'm not interested in cutting phases and symmetry (although I can appreciate the work involved.)

If I can't bust up this cord of firewood I'm going to have a very cold winter! :thumbs:

I like to think im an honest person and so what i once believed to be true i have recently been forced to re - think.......but over a lifetime of fitness the one thing ive learned more than anything is that the inside of a gym and the inside of a persons head is not a 1 size fits all combination.....whats right for me may not be right for you and as an extremely competetive person i could never have entertained bodybuilding if there had been no competetive aspect to it.......yet having competed for a while it taught me that it really wasnt for me and thats the beauty ive found in training over the years it constantly teaches you so much about yourself.

Couldn't agree more Gnash. It started for me as a tool for my rugby. But it evolved. Training for me has been a zen thing, for a long time. No matter how shit my day. No matter what I've had to deal with. The barbell is honest. It asks for nothing more than the load you put on it. Will I lift it today, or not?

It f***ing hurts, but that's what we do.

• Like 1

Absolutely Chris....having had a reasonably succesful boxing career i was always searching for that same high as fighting and nothing even came close........having been around gyms from a kid it seemed a natural progression to lift weights after my career ended and although it was never as rewarding as fighting i did experience the same pureness of competition when i first started arm wrestling......it gave a purpose and honesty of competing i had not felt for many years so for me regardless of physical strength the iron game is a place where you can lose yourself or find yourself.

• Like 1

Its a complicated little turn out Socks its more of a northerners thing really even though myself and a few likeminded folk have got competition tables in many of the well known gyms in London now and we are pushing it as a sport.....the British Armwrestling Federation have a handful of clubs round the country but being affiliated to them means you cant compete in competitions that are not sanctioned by them so even though they probably run the best tournaments here like the Armwars series you are still limited unless you compete independently but that means paying your own entry fees and qualifying through the rounds etc......In America its a whole lot more serious they have the Pro Armwrestling League,The World Federation etc....and up until very recently the best pullers in the world.....The Zloty Tur in Poland is the pinnacle of the sport ive competed in some of the early ones and yes thats an international tournament where you,ll get the best pullers from around the world....a,because its the most prestigious tournament and b,because it pays the most prize money :D ........but its a cracking little sport,a very pure sport,highly technical and of course for us older chaps it drags out the competetive side to sport a few more years :D

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

I saw a program on the tele a few years back of some yank who came over to arm wrestle some bloke can't remember his name but he was some arm wrestler he would get into the heads of his opponents and he says he has never been beaten .

Sounds like it could be a good little thing to get going which in turn may turn into something big ... Is the competition weight based as in light welter heavy etc or is it you have to be a big old lump to enter as the obvious size will give you an advantage ...,I used to be a real decent arm wrestler ... I don't know if it was down to short stocky arms or powerful shoulders or just raw strength ... Anyway all that stopped when I separated my elbows lol ........

Sounds like it could be a good little thing to get going which in turn may turn into something big ... Is the competition weight based as in light welter heavy etc or is it you have to be a big old lump to enter as the obvious size will give you an advantage ...,I used to be a real decent arm wrestler ... I don't know if it was down to short stocky arms or powerful shoulders or just raw strength ... Anyway all that stopped when I separated my elbows lol ........

Or all the wanking you did as a teenager :whistling::whistling:

• Like 2