Single finger chins hanging off the door arcitrave don't cost a lot of $'s. Allcroft used to grab the beams in his house whilst he was talking to ya and knock ten chins out, they were beams with only three plaines exposed

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eat less + work out more = weight loss   Been saying it for years. Apparently I'm lacking in empathy and compassion, and its never a fat person's fault that they are fat...

I follow the whole food diet.........             the whole packet of biscuits, the whole bottle of Coke, the whole packet of popcorn........

21 it not bad mochara,,,,but them things can be way off,,,lots of very fit lads that carry a bit of muscle can be way over,,,,,the best measuring tool,,,,is the mirror,,,and just be honest when you lo

Posted Images

Grip training is one of the most physically demanding areas of strength training there is,theres no cheats to it !!.....The Captain of Crush grips are a good place to start....dont feel a fairy about starting on the easier ones if its something your not used to as you can easily injure yourself starting too high.....rope climbing of course is a good exercise......Ive had a lot of hand trouble over the years and have a fair bit of arthritis in them so ive been very lucky to retain the strength in them that i have.

Stop saying you feel a c**t......any gym where folk take the piss out of any level of lifter aint a proper gym anyway ;)

I was waiting for someone to mention Ironmind products. They're seriously high quality. A lot of emphasis on the old school strongman exercises. I like their no nonsense philosophy. I'm a couple of quid away from the Vulcan squat racks for the garage!

Nice to see you closed the number 3! Did you get certified on it, or was it just a personal best?

No it wasnt under official conditions and at a time when they was modifying the rules regards start/finish positions......this was at the Zloty Tur arm wrestling tournament in 08 probably 15/20 men closed it a Russian puller Taras Ivakin was closing it for reps :icon_eek: ....but like i say it was at a controversial time with Ironmind and nobody was certified.

I believe those Vulcan racks are good for 1000 lb which in my opinion is crazy weight for home equipment as it encourages people to lift dangerously close to their limit alone......commercial grade equipment should be in commercial premises.....home grade equipment should be in the home.......just a little gripe ive always had :D

Edited by gnasher16

Tomo its not just about body strength a lot of the heavier guys just dont have the grip strength to hold their own weight its nothing to be ashamed of......im not as good on the wide grip these days but i,ll still do 2 minutes constant 1 handed with palm facing.......its a great arm wrestlers exercise as the constant brings the tendons in to play more so than muscular strength.....and of course grip strength helps :D

Pull ups seem to be a weakness for a lot of people, then often neglected for that reason in favour of curls. Personally I think that makes the pull up family of exercises that much more impressive.

2 mins constant 1 handed? I assume thats a hang for grip training? On a similar note, I saw a gruelling challenge the other day. 1 pull up over the course of 2 minutes, 1 min up a 1 min down continuously. Not tried it but looked evil.

:D

Tomo its not just about body strength a lot of the heavier guys just dont have the grip strength to hold their own weight its nothing to be ashamed of......im not as good on the wide grip these days but i,ll still do 2 minutes constant 1 handed with palm facing.......its a great arm wrestlers exercise as the constant brings the tendons in to play more so than muscular strength.....and of course grip strength helps :D

Pull ups seem to be a weakness for a lot of people, then often neglected for that reason in favour of curls. Personally I think that makes the pull up family of exercises that much more impressive.

2 mins constant 1 handed? I assume thats a hang for grip training? On a similar note, I saw a gruelling challenge the other day. 1 pull up over the course of 2 minutes, 1 min up a 1 min down continuously. Not tried it but looked evil.

Good stunt that single handed born.

Tomo....i'll be one to say it....sack the gym/training for now, buy a skipping rope...they're easilly sustainable :thumbs:

Edited by oneredtrim

No it wasnt under official conditions and at a time when they was modifying the rules regards start/finish positions......this was at the Zloty Tur arm wrestling tournament in 08 probably 15/20 men closed it a Russian puller Taras Ivakin was closing it for reps :icon_eek: ....but like i say it was at a controversial time with Ironmind and nobody was certified.

I believe those Vulcan racks are good for 1000 lb which in my opinion is crazy weight for home equipment as it encourages people to lift dangerously close to their limit alone......commercial grade equipment should be in commercial premises.....home grade equipment should be in the home.......just a little gripe ive always had :D

Awesome pull though, mate. I could never close the 3 but I could rep with the two. I put that down to deadlifting with 3" barbells! :D

This isn't my first set of vulcans. First set got stolen when I live in Manchester, and I paid a lot of money for them at the time. The reason I'm buying these is for longevity. They're cheaper and better than a lot of the commercial racks available, plus the space requirements for a commercial set isn't great for a home set up. Not to mention the gyms around here are set up for posers and playtime triathletes. I don't like the atmosphere where appearance is king and work is secondary. There's a lot of serious lifting going on in garages around the UK and US. Workspace is what you make it.

I buy good gear because I don't want shit failing on me. I've been there in some of the shitty maintained gyms. With the use it's going to get Argos gear ain't going to last. My big squat days are years behind me but there's nothing more terrifying than trying to rack a bar and see that the welds are failing! :laugh::thumbs:

The singe handed is for reps,gripping the wrist with the free hand of course so its not full bodyweight .......any slow pull like that is a tendon builder rather than a muscle exercise............i believe the basic pull up is not popular for that reason......grip !........I know lads that can curl a 120 lb dumbell but dont have the finger strength to pull up their own bodyweight.

• Like 1

The singe handed is for reps,gripping the wrist with the free hand of course so its not full bodyweight .......any slow pull like that is a tendon builder rather than a muscle exercise............i believe the basic pull up is not popular for that reason......grip !........I know lads that can curl a 120 lb dumbell but dont have the finger strength to pull up their own bodyweight.
Ahh, I thought you meant single handed chin ups! Seeing as I can only do 1, the thought of repping those for 2 mins was impressive! LOL

I thought you hit it with the weak lats comment previously. Most lads in an average gym wanting 'beach muscles' seem to rather spend time on exercises that more directly hit their arms.

Obviously there are some hulks that will just have poor strength to weight for certain body parts, as with any body type/weight. Would you expect someone who deadlifts fairly seriously to suffer with this though?

Edited by Born Hunter

Awesome pull though, mate. I could never close the 3 but I could rep with the two. I put that down to deadlifting with 3" barbells! :D

This isn't my first set of vulcans. First set got stolen when I live in Manchester, and I paid a lot of money for them at the time. The reason I'm buying these is for longevity. They're cheaper and better than a lot of the commercial racks available, plus the space requirements for a commercial set isn't great for a home set up. Not to mention the gyms around here are set up for posers and playtime triathletes. I don't like the atmosphere where appearance is king and work is secondary. There's a lot of serious lifting going on in garages around the UK and US. Workspace is what you make it.

I buy good gear because I don't want shit failing on me. I've been there in some of the shitty maintained gyms. With the use it's going to get Argos gear ain't going to last. My big squat days are years behind me but there's nothing more terrifying than trying to rack a bar and see that the welds are failing! :laugh::thumbs:

That Russian fella was flipping a 25 kg Olympic plate over with one hand and catching it on edge with the other hand....ive never seen hand strength like it.....im told the strongman competitor Magnus Samuelson has closed the number 4 !!.......How do you get on with the 2.5 thats rated at 230 if i remember right....i know the 3 is rated 280 so its a fair jump.

Ive heard about a few nasty accidents over the years with people training to their limit alone..........its different now with the quality of some of the Smiths Machines but having been stuck under a heavy barbell more than once i wont train hard alone......anyway my seriously heavy days are gone now :D

That Russian fella was flipping a 25 kg Olympic plate over with one hand and catching it on edge with the other hand....ive never seen hand strength like it.....im told the strongman competitor Magnus Samuelson has closed the number 4 !!.......How do you get on with the 2.5 thats rated at 230 if i remember right....i know the 3 is rated 280 so its a fair jump.

Ive heard about a few nasty accidents over the years with people training to their limit alone..........its different now with the quality of some of the Smiths Machines but having been stuck under a heavy barbell more than once i wont train hard alone......anyway my seriously heavy days are gone now :D

I've never tried the 2.5... but I'll have to work up to it again. Samuelson was the last man to close the 4 about 10 years ago. Joe Kinney is the grip man though... They made the 4 to his ability and he was the first to close it in 98. It's a phenomenal 365lbs crush! His home made grip machines are the stuff that Ironmind based some of their gear on!

I hear you on the injury front. I think when you're younger and invincible you're more likely to push the point but the insurance of decent gear pays dividends. I'm simply not able to drop the kind of money on the memberships, for 4 of us, as my kids want to learn to train. They've got the option to work on Olympic and power lifts, at school, and they're really keen.

I don't want them in that posing bullshit gym/healthclub environment, that we have here. There's enough testosterone in the house as it is. As the nearest quality gym is a 300 mile round trip I'll make do with the gear in my garage, and the money in my wallet. I figure that if they're schooled in the basics, with the correct technique, they can train wherever and whenever down the line.

If you want to be good at something, and you're passionate about it, then the best way will reap it's own rewards. Barefoot squats anyone? :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1

Obviously there are some hulks that will just have poor strength to weight for certain body parts, as with any body type/weight. Would you expect someone who deadlifts fairly seriously to suffer with this though?

Deadlift is more about technique than outright crazy strength you could be the strongest man alive but if you dont know how to position your body correctly and push your hips through etc you,ll never be a good deadlifter.

A lot of it depends on the reason someone trains,very few people are strong in the whole body we all have strong/weak points a deadlifter might not be able to curl much weight but he doesnt need to.......the tricky part is when its simply down to genetics,without sounding big headed im genetically blessed in shoulders and arms but it becomes a problem when training shoulders as everything else fatigues except the bodypart you are training !!.......People with more balanced strength regardless how strong,have a much better chance of a complete physique.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

Deadlift is more about technique than outright crazy strength you could be the strongest man alive but if you dont know how to position your body correctly and push your hips through etc you,ll never be a good deadlifter.

A lot of it depends on the reason someone trains,very few people are strong in the whole body we all have strong/weak points a deadlifter might not be able to curl much weight but he doesnt need to.......the tricky part is when its simply down to genetics,without sounding big headed im genetically blessed in shoulders and arms but it becomes a problem when training shoulders as everything else fatigues except the bodypart you are training !!.......People with more balanced strength regardless how strong,have a much better chance of a complete physique.

Absolutely. I wasn't really talking about incredible strength though, more why people struggle with pull ups. Deadlifting regularly improved my grip strength considerably. I guess what I'm getting at is that if someone has a well rounded training program I find it very hard to understand how they lack the grip strength for BW pull ups. Of the traditional lifts youd expect to see in a well rounded strength training programme, deadlifting seemed a sensible one to mention regarding grip strength.

I'm trying to squeeze information/knowledge out of you without asking. LOL. So please take it as a compliment, not as me being a know it all qualified pretty boy. LOL

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

No need for compliments me ol son we,re just swapping thoughts on a common interest thats all :thumbs:

My philosophy of strength/fitness has changed so much over the years i honestly believe that when you push your ego to the side and forget about numbers you really get a more true understanding of what strength is i see so many lads in the gym using straps for deadlifts,straps for shrugs ive even seen them used for barbell curls !!....Armwrestling changed my whole outlook on functional strength a chain is only as strong as its weakest link and all that....i always liken human performance to car performance and its like running a big powerful v8 engine on cheap crappy tyres yes the power is there but if you have no way of putting that power down whats the use in having it......i see lads deadlift 550 with straps who can barely lift 350 without them !....is that true strength ? did they really lift 550 ? or did they just have a 550 weight tied to their body.

A lot of people just train for " a look " i believe in building true real world strength as its a great feeling.......if that lad can deadlift 550 with straps but cant take the lid off the pickled onion jar where does the motivation for strength come from ?.....likewise years ago we would train for sheer brute strength and power with no real thought for cardio or conditioning but whats the point in being strong and healthy if you cant run a few miles without coughing a lung up !

Plenty of lifters dont even train grip/forearms as they feel it gets worked through other lifts but i believe you can have great musculature throughout the entire body but if your grip strength is weak you will never reach your highest potential.

• Like 3