• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i in my bloody wisdom!!! when i come back home decided that a small village wasnt the place for a otter nearly 3 ft long so i gave her to a animal charity that looks after wild animals in the unders

just my 2p worth the only dog ive ever had killed in action was by a otter we were looking at mink traps and she slipped to ground she was a nice lal white sealyham from welshpool called taffy....th

I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in it's natural state but I live in hope. I've seen signs of them in Shropshire but again I never came face to face with one and I could never see the day whe

Posted Images

One ruthless predator alright think water stoat! In the big picture animal for animal bet they do more damage to stock and wildlife than a fox. On nature reserves they must kill bitterns,waterrails and a lot more. They found pads on Farne Islands 3 year back in tern colony.

Pal had caught mink cage trap and otter mangled trap and mink to bits. Mink numbers have decreased since otters have increased. Would love to see them hunted with hounds and even dig one but would take no satisfaction killing one. That said they need taking in hand just for the good of other wildlife not to mention fisherys etc. But Bill oddball n co aint never gona say that are they.

• Like 1

Im living beside a small river here, there are loads of them about here. See them very regular, they can be heard whistling most nights around here. Lovely animal for sure. They can be a nuisance when the mink hounds hunt the river, they seem to be everywhere!!! Luckily the huntsman has great manners on the pack and can call them off pretty quick..... Takes a good terrier to shift one if it doesn't want to leave ive been told from yester year......

I was trout fishing last year and one came up middle of the river and didn't see me,but next thing you could see him taken a hunt and took a lovely couple pound trout from under my nose.nice animal but

You must be thousands of years old JD, what with work, digging, lurchers and so on I don't know how you do it.

As others have said anything in the wrong place is a pest. The fisheries have my sympathy but after my lifetime of having little or no Otter in the UK I personally think they deserve a break until they're genuinely the pest you say.

And yes given half a chance I'd work my dogs to one and be happy for the chance, it doesn't have to follow that I'd kill it at the end though.

• Like 2

You must be thousands of years old JD, what with work, digging, lurchers and so on I don't know how you do it.

Doubt me if you like....I can back everything I say up. I wouldn't say it otherwise.

But anyway, you have your thoughts and I have mine.......

Bolted a few over the years never dug to one. There's 2 swim in the river in the middle of a town not far from me. You'll see them most mornings and evenings in the river. Great to watch and a lovely animal, that is unless you own a fishery ?

bolted one from the earth at the blue bridge

JD I don't doubt you've seen them or studied them, but to make the presumption they're at plague proportion and are definitely at pest levels is as daft as me saying there isn't any because I didn't see one catching the bus today.

One thing I can tell you is I've been in the field since I was 15 years old and I've never seen one. I've lamped for years and guess what, I've never seen one.

Like I said earlier, I've got other things to worry about these days so I'll leave it at that, have a very good day.

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 1

Dilly dog there was none down the river where I walk the dogs every day a couple years ago now I can see 3 or 4 on a mile stretch of the river so there the fishermen are cracking up with them last year I seen a couple of rainbow trout dead in the bottom of the river and the first thing that came to mind was bait for the otters wouldn't want to see them poisoned but have heard of it been done in local lochs

JD I don't doubt you've seen them or studied them, but to make the presumption they're at plague proportion and are definitely at pest levels is as daft as me saying there isn't any because I didn't see one catching the bus today.

One thing I can tell you is I've been in the field since I was 15 years old and I've never seen one. I've lamped for years and guess what, I've never seen one.

Like I said earlier, I've got other things to worry about these days so I'll leave it at that, have a very good day.

Not that common a sight around here either.The best time to see them on the rivers around here is when the salmon are making there way up to spawn then you might get a glimpse of one.The 1 we bolted a couple of year back was right on the bank of a river,the drain he/she was in ran right to the edge of the water.1 that i dug back early 80s was in the middle of a wood,a couple of mile from the nearest waterway,the 2nd was in a bank about 100yds from a river and the terrier had run him in.They give a good account of themselves but are in the same class as badger pre-ban.