Looking For Some Advice . . .

I have followed this thread with interest.....there's something you could try that might work. Take her to a new hunting area, one where she's never been before, and give her a run on the lamp. As soon as she's caught the rabbit shut the beam off and literally run away to get some distance between you and the dog. She might realise that she's lost, get a bit of a panic on and then on next rabbit she may want to find you a greater sense of urgency knowing that, once again, you're 'abandoned' her and she might just click out of it. What I'm getting at is; if you can create a sense in her mind that she doesn't have time to bury prey then it might just stop her thinking about it. It's worth a try.

The bitch is burying rabbits because she wants them for herself,for later, just in case an instinct that is in all dogs, to food cache. I would give her a break, of a couple of weeks then try something new. Keeping doing the same thing with her will only reinforce the bad habit IMO. Keep us all informed of her progress..... :victory: and good luck.

• Like 7

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have followed this thread with interest.....there's something you could try that might work. Take her to a new hunting area, one where she's never been before, and give her a run on the lamp. As soo

That's what I am getting at mate...it is obviously not a recall issue or a retrieve issue...not directly anyway. Something's clicked in her head that she must store /cache food. You'll have to break h

Just from what you wrote i say lack of game in front of her so shes protecting what shes caught. I'd say with some serious game put infront of her it will channel out of her. Last thing how ever much

That's not a bad idea. I might try legging it in the opposite direction when she catches one, even if she isn't worried about losing me, she'll probably think i'm chasing something more exciting, and might join in (hopefully with rabbit in mouth). Although I have a feeling she will just bury the rabbit quicker and then catch up, she's smart. But its worth a try.

Just for the record, I have not taken her out on the lamp for a bit, only ferreting to see if she was the same. Not been out on rabbits at all since last week.

I've been trying all sorts, lots of 1:1 time, tug training, cassos feeding suggestion, various forms of retrieving, just to convince myself that she does actually understand the concept. She will happily retrieve a skin dummy over a fence, from across a field, from out of the woods etc. Other than the burying thing, she doesn't really put a foot wrong. Ive also arranged a night out on some different ground, with a member on here.

I do think she may be coming into season, and I defiantly agree its a feral, instinctual, food cacheing thing, most likely linked to the lack of rabbits in her mouth and the presence of others.

your lucky you getting free tips i had to pay for mines in the circle of life , learning from mistakes and my older mates , no computers or all that shit

Guy int pub been waiting for you to mention a price, started of a real nice gesture, now your hinting for payment lol

think what he means we never had the internet for tips just found out the hard way but that's whin for you its all about the money for his skills lol

That's not a bad idea. I might try legging it in the opposite direction when she catches one, even if she isn't worried about losing me, she'll probably think i'm chasing something more exciting, and might join in (hopefully with rabbit in mouth). Although I have a feeling she will just bury the rabbit quicker and then catch up, she's smart. But its worth a try.

Just for the record, I have not taken her out on the lamp for a bit, only ferreting to see if she was the same. Not been out on rabbits at all since last week.

I've been trying all sorts, lots of 1:1 time, tug training, cassos feeding suggestion, various forms of retrieving, just to convince myself that she does actually understand the concept. She will happily retrieve a skin dummy over a fence, from across a field, from out of the woods etc. Other than the burying thing, she doesn't really put a foot wrong. Ive also arranged a night out on some different ground, with a member on here.

I do think she may be coming into season, and I defiantly agree its a feral, instinctual, food cacheing thing, most likely linked to the lack of rabbits in her mouth and the presence of others.

That's what I am getting at mate...it is obviously not a recall issue or a retrieve issue...not directly anyway. Something's clicked in her head that she must store /cache food. You'll have to break her out of it. I have had dogs that would bury quarry, i.e squirrels, if I was busy with the gun and didn't take it off them. They would bury the body rather than just leave it and I have seen dogs do the same with hares once they've caught them.

I'm just thinking outside the box here, BUT how about you try going with someone with a young pup or a little terrier that will try and take the rabbit from her once she's caught it. She dare not put it down as she knows the other dog will want it. I have seen this before, poor retrievers turning into field trial champs as there was another dog present and it wanted the rabbit. The safest place the dog knew was in it's owners hands. If you catch my drift. Just trying to think of things that will break the mental habit.

Stay patient and you'll get there in the end....

edited to add: I don't think this is due to lack of rabbits.

• Like 5

Darcy - It's funny you mention that, the only time she has been doubled up on a rabbit was accidentally with the whippet, he caught it and she mugged him double quick and legged it back to me, straight into my hand. I think, probably for the reason you mentioned. Usually she is out there with a rabbit in her mouth and then there is me, with some other strange bloke and dog stood near me . . . . . .

Malc - I am sorry mate, I've not really been on here till now, i've PM'd you.

Zerky - Yes I have with her mate, and I do hope it works out or i'll have the nutter burying rabbits for the next decade of my life lol.

For the record, I'm now not so sure how much of a good idea a saluki / collie type is.

• Like 2

Darcy - It's funny you mention that, the only time she has been doubled up on a rabbit was accidentally with the whippet, he caught it and she mugged him double quick and legged it back to me, straight into my hand. I think, probably for the reason you mentioned. Usually she is out there with a rabbit in her mouth and then there is me, with some other strange bloke and dog stood near me . . . . . .

Malc - I am sorry mate, I've not really been on here till now, i've PM'd you.

Zerky - Yes I have with her mate, and I do hope it works out or i'll have the nutter burying rabbits for the next decade of my life lol.

For the record, I'm now not so sure how much of a good idea a saluki / collie type is.

It's worth trying mate...and maybe change the recall whistle while she is deciding what to do. You might have to change the recall to click her out of it. I know its a ball-ache, but if she brought back with another small dog/pup chasing her the next step would be to have the other dog there but only on the lead to see what she does, then see if this can be morphed into a full retrieve with the other person and dog (on lead) at greater and greater distance. But, like I say, I'd change the recall for that in case it works then it's like starting the recall fresh again....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought i'd stick up a couple of photos of the bitch in question from today.

Still trying a few different things, managed to get her a good night out and a fair bit of fur in her mouth thanks to the kindness of a member on here. She still did her party trick, although there was a glimmer of hope toward the end when she just stood in the middle of the field with her catch, rather than burying it straight away lol.

Working on the tug training etc. We'll see how it goes!

IMG_2773_zpsb70d1878.jpg

IMG_2778_zps174d1903.jpg

IMG_2785_zpsa0481571.jpg

• Like 1

I had a very irractic dog.bouncing about before we went lamping .panting like crazy.heavy breathing.I know this is normal once the dogs knows it going out for the night.I used to trot her alongside my truck first.get the breathing calmed down. Settled her in for the night ahead.