Lacking Height

Had a quick hour or two out with the lamp the other night with my whippet.he's quite small at only a tiny bit over 19tts.quite a bit of the ground I work is rough.and because of his height he isn't seeing as many rabbits as I'd like,especially if they lie down tight.he had two rabbits on his first couple of runs but then missed a few.also scared quite a few away as I had to walk up on a couple cos he couldn't see them.as I've got a bit more time now I'm thinking of getting a lurcher pup later this year to bring on to use on the lamp.so just a wee question to the boys who use whippet/collie/grey lurchers.what's the average height of these?and are they tall enough to see game at a decent distance on roughish ground?cheers

Mate..all I say is work with what you got..add like mine to have a little more height bit hay ho. When getting a pup in all these things should be consided. Height.ground your running.prey your running...shit dont always go to plan.work with what we got and enjoy

• Like 4

pick him up then, just get rabbit in the beam, bend slightly forward with dog, so just off the ground ,the dog will deff see then whats going on and slip him. I have seen this done before . a lad I know had little track whippet bitch no more than 20in and he dis the above , and I was surprised at 1st. But feck me it worked great, the little bitch nailed 9 rabbits that night , :thumbs: so try it give it a go but make sure he deff seen the rabbit 1st :yes:

• Like 8

Iam sure if you keep taking him out an lamping the dog it will soon learn that not all the bunny's get up an run an you'll find he will or should slow down an look for the bunny my bitch is five now an still goes over top of the odd bunny on rough ground stick with him bud he'll come good its all about learning I've been doing this most of my life an still learning all the best

• Like 2

My dog at just 21tts gas the same problem but over the years knows that if he runs the beam something will be at the end of it, there has been loads of time that I have seen something and the dog hasn't and I have slipped him he knows to just run, it's what I call a blind slip ?

• Like 1

If its taught to run down the beam it will spot whats there and it will learn to expect something at the end of the beam, use a reflected dummy to train it on your local park.

On rough ground with lamp shy rabbits that won't work too well, rabbit be gone before the dog get a good chance.

I love whippets, but taller dogs are more versatile on the lamp, and extra height certainly does help on most ground

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 4

I wouldn't worry about a few inches my self having a nice little portable dog has its own benefits

I sort of agree with you, but a few extra inches in height is beneficial most of the time, as with the extra height, not always perceivable in many dogs, normally goes a bit of extra power, useful on many occasions :thumbs:

years ago i lamped my Whippet X bedlington ist cross who was 18 inches, although no where would you class her as a lamper, she was a ferreting dog, I could pick up 6 to 8 rabbits with her, which was fine by me. there's photos on the working whippet forum, with lads that lamp their whippets, and do okay.

• Like 3