Best You've Seen?

Probably been asked before but I'll ask again, what's the best bushing type you've seen with your own eyes,used mainly for rabbiting but will turn its hand to all sorts, working all types of cover. For me I prefer a good Russell type that doesn't drop to ground on every mark, also I want a busher to not only push game out to the lurchers I want them to try there hardest to catch game not just to flush game?

• Like 1

Best I have seen were jack / boarder x ruff terrier (Heinz 57) ,this bitch could flush, and kill in the bush and out of it she looked like a boarder type but rounder if that makes any sence. Every pup from her made the grade and she was line bred for years. She was steady and the only time she made a noise was when she was right on the kill.she was so steady she was only ever a few feet away and her recall was excellent. Atb basil

I have only seen terriers first hand bushing all have been decent enough some more useful than others. I like them to be steady but there is a danger they get too steady IMO. Basil when you say border you rated was only ever a few feet away, how did she follow a line? Genuine question as all terriers I have worked and seen will hunt up a little way on a strong scent and I wouldn't want any different. I know different people work different ways just curious, incidentally never had a terrier make a noise either the pet schnauzer on the other hand yaps on a scent lol atb

• Like 1

Not seen loads of other people's terriers bush, always seem to be on my own, but my best over the the years is my little old fashioned jack russell that is now eleven and still working fine. Not that she's taken loads of game, but what she has taken she's always tried to retrieve it back and given her size its a laugh to watch. She's taken duck, pigeon, pheasant and a few other birds plus rabbits. My lurchers were once just stood looking up at a pheasant on a branch, little jack climbed a wall, aimed pointed jumped and grabbed it off the branch mid air.....amazing given her size, she's constantly digging down to mice in the fields etc..... But the main thing I like about her is she's slow when works...very slow which I personally like.

She gives voice on hot scent or sight knowing it pulls the other dogs to her, but her main mission is to get a hold of what she's after. Cracking little dog.

post-44376-0-61828400-1420463836_thumb.jpg

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 3

Saw some good russells over the years. A bedlington a good time ago caught a fair amount in cover fur and feather very good marking dog and a patt/springer a very good bitch.i have watched very few spaniel/terrier crosses there seems some very good types on here.

Edited by darbo

Ive seen an assortment of terriers bush to a very high standard,many were origin unknown,ive seen Springers,cockers and sprockers,again bushing to the highest standards,ive also witnessed a few beagles and their crosses and again bushed with serious intent.Spaniels are to hypo for me,Beagles and their crosses range to far for many areas i work.Terriers offer me the best option and they are the best bushers for the ground i work and are the best ive seen out of all others,the terrier that stands out for me,time after time,is the Beddy and the Beddy hybrid,an old bedlington i have retired here now is possibly the best example of a busher that ive seen in the field,probably because it was educated to work the ground it became accustomed to,it as also passed on its abilities to its progeny,on the same type of ground.A decent busher in one location will prove itself wherever it works.Going off track a tad,i don,t see the purpose in owning a bushing terrier that won,t enter,to me that is poor breeding,if i wanted a busher that did not enter id source something more Spaniel or Beagle based.

• Like 2

Each to there own I suppose but if your working rabbits you don't want a terrier in the ground and if your bushing foxes you definatly don't want more than one in the ground. I prefer a terrier that's not to head strong and know when to leave a rabbit it's marking when it's called off, haven't seen many terrier spaniel crosses but it's something which I would try in the future because on paper it seems the ideal type

Ive seen an assortment of terriers bush to a very high standard,many were origin unknown,ive seen Springers,cockers and sprockers,again bushing to the highest standards,ive also witnessed a few beagles and their crosses and again bushed with serious intent.Spaniels are to hypo for me,Beagles and their crosses range to far for many areas i work.Terriers offer me the best option and they are the best bushers for the ground i work and are the best ive seen out of all others,the terrier that stands out for me,time after time,is the Beddy and the Beddy hybrid,an old bedlington i have retired here now is possibly the best example of a busher that ive seen in the field,probably because it was educated to work the ground it became accustomed to,it as also passed on its abilities to its progeny,on the same type of ground.A decent busher in one location will prove itself wherever it works.Going off track a tad,i don,t see the purpose in owning a bushing terrier that won,t enter,to me that is poor breeding,if i wanted a busher that did not enter id source something more Spaniel or Beagle based.

Night walker do you think that terriers in general enter cover better than spaniel and beagle type dogs