Best You've Seen?

Ive seen an assortment of terriers bush to a very high standard,many were origin unknown,ive seen Springers,cockers and sprockers,again bushing to the highest standards,ive also witnessed a few beagles and their crosses and again bushed with serious intent.Spaniels are to hypo for me,Beagles and their crosses range to far for many areas i work.Terriers offer me the best option and they are the best bushers for the ground i work and are the best ive seen out of all others,the terrier that stands out for me,time after time,is the Beddy and the Beddy hybrid,an old bedlington i have retired here now is possibly the best example of a busher that ive seen in the field,probably because it was educated to work the ground it became accustomed to,it as also passed on its abilities to its progeny,on the same type of ground.A decent busher in one location will prove itself wherever it works.Going off track a tad,i don,t see the purpose in owning a bushing terrier that won,t enter,to me that is poor breeding,if i wanted a busher that did not enter id source something more Spaniel or Beagle based.

Night walker do you think that terriers in general enter cover better than spaniel and beagle type dogs

I wouldn't say terriers enter cover better no it's just I prefer to work terriers

That's a good point mate I prefer terriers to the rest myself they have some attitudes probably best to use what we prefer instead of constantly trying to improve.like with lurchers the saluki crosses are supposed to be the best for daytime but anyone I hunt with all hate their attitude and would rather use more traditional crosses or with a bit of everything bred in it

Not seen loads of other people's terriers bush, always seem to be on my own, but my best over the the years is my little old fashioned jack russell that is now eleven and still working fine. Not that she's taken loads of game, but what she has taken she's always tried to retrieve it back and given her size its a laugh to watch. She's taken duck, pigeon, pheasant and a few other birds plus rabbits. My lurchers were once just stood looking up at a pheasant on a branch, little jack climbed a wall, aimed pointed jumped and grabbed it off the branch mid air.....amazing given her size, she's constantly digging down to mice in the fields etc..... But the main thing I like about her is she's slow when works...very slow which I personally like.

She gives voice on hot scent or sight knowing it pulls the other dogs to her, but her main mission is to get a hold of what she's after. Cracking little dog.

Sounds like a great little dog, i like a dog that hunts fur n feather my one will but only if their are no rabbits about also she used to go mad for deer but has started to ignore them completely which is fine by me seeing as thats how my last dog was killed. atb daywalker.
  • Like 1