3/4 Collie 1/4 Greyhound

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well just a wee short story, A past mate of mine in the mid 70s, mated a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie over a first cross collie grey, he wanted me to take a pup off him and I said, you are only breeding rabbit

This is the sire a dog that takes all quarry on all ground ,and with a prey drive that would put any cross to shame. He is at home on big land , woodland, dales or mountains. But his tump card is his

Heavily saturated Collie crosses ain't for many people when it comes to a hunting companion..no they ain't going to impress on the Fens or on them big bunnies in the main but just about ANY other type

Posted Images

Awrite mate.have a wee look on the ferreting discussion page theres a post 'leather net bags' on it theres a link to simon whiteheads las test film,his friend,I believe is called torchie has this cross of dog and you get to see it work.theres also more vids of him on youtube with the dog working.atb

well just a wee short story, A past mate of mine in the mid 70s, mated a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie over a first cross collie grey, he wanted me to take a pup off him and I said, you are only breeding rabbit dogs, any way time went on and my good dog recieved a bad injury, so The mate brought down this young dog about 5 months old black with a white blaze, he had length, and I could see he was going to make the 26" mark, he said this is the pup that I wanted you to have, he is for you if you want him,I said ok I will take him and see if I can make something of him, well Lads, that young pup started killing, rabbits,, at about 7 months of age, on his own, and carrying them back to my house, in those days my young dogs run free in my Yard, there was couple of stables in the yard, the young dog slept in the straw bales that i kept there for bedding the horses,by 12 months old he was taken hares, and carrying them back to the yard, he could hunt a field as good as any springer spaniel, A natural retriever, to hand or to the house, as said in those days he was free to roam, No problems with dog thieves, not around our way in those days, that dog had pace, Stamina, and a great mouth to strike and for carrying, he had tight collie feet, in truth the dog was just a natural, basically, self taught, I was so busy with my work I only had time for him at the weekends, that dog was a treat to have and own,

• Like 13

I have two offspring out of Torchies Dan, my dog also called Dan, which i bred using Dan to my bitch Gwen, who is 9/16,s collie, 7/16,s greyhound, he is turning out to be a very good both in the day, and on the lamp, had him upto Canna with me this year, whilst working on the Big Rabbit Job, i also have a 7 week old bitch pup out of him to my old friend the late Typp Ratcher bred 3/4 greyhound, a 1/4 collie bred bitch, owned by my mate, these pups are like first crosses on paper, i prefer collie saturated bred dogs, most collie greyhounds being bred today are no more than collie marked greyhounds with poor coats, bad feet, snipey greyhoundy heads, there not for me. regards collie john.

Edited by colliejohn
  • Like 7

I have two offspring out of Torchies Dan, my dog also called Dan, which i bred using Dan to my bitch Gwen, who is 9/16,s collie, 7/16,s greyhound, he is turning out to be a very good both in the day, and on the lamp, had him upto Canna with me this year, whilst working on the Big Rabbit Job, i also have a 7 week old bitch pup out of him to my old friend the late Typp Ratcher bred 3/4 greyhound, a 1/4 collie bred bitch, owned by my mate, these pups are like first crosses on paper, i prefer collie saturated bred dogs, most collie greyhounds being bred today are no more than collie marked greyhounds with poor coats, bad feet, snipey greyhoundy heads, there not for me. regards collie john how is

how is your pup doing john ? mines a big bugger an clever to for his age . i seen the whole litter [BANNED TEXT] you picked yours up an to be honest its the best litter I've seen in a while

a.t.b Adam

Those pups sound great. As Collie John said, that litter out of the 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie bitch to Dan would work out pretty much half crosses. Any pups left?

There's a litter not far from me in this weeks Counteymans, first cross collie greyhound back to a collie. Sound a nice litter, but I'm always thinking that a dog like that might not have enough speed.

Does a 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound offer more than a well bred first cross?

Wouldn't say so Mustelid IMO first crosses have as much brain, substance and stamina as you will ever need, even racy first crosses which contrary to popular opinion do exist.

Any one thinking of more collie than 50% would be as well considering a big leggy hill collie for all the difference there would be.

• Like 1

Heavily saturated Collie crosses ain't for many people when it comes to a hunting companion..no they ain't going to impress on the Fens or on them big bunnies in the main but just about ANY other type of work you can throw at a lurcher then a heavily saturated Collie lurcher is capable of performing to a decent standard..i like having one around me, mine has the nigh on 3/4 Collie in him and the rest is just lurcher with hardly any Grey blood at all.Never faltered at what ive thrown at him..if it breathes from the smallest to our very largest he will do it,lamps,ferrets,hunts..don't be put off with all this bollox of being too slow in general..

Canon11012_zpsbc8b3f43.jpg

• Like 12