3/4 Collie 1/4 Greyhound

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well just a wee short story, A past mate of mine in the mid 70s, mated a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie over a first cross collie grey, he wanted me to take a pup off him and I said, you are only breeding rabbit

This is the sire a dog that takes all quarry on all ground ,and with a prey drive that would put any cross to shame. He is at home on big land , woodland, dales or mountains. But his tump card is his

Heavily saturated Collie crosses ain't for many people when it comes to a hunting companion..no they ain't going to impress on the Fens or on them big bunnies in the main but just about ANY other type

Posted Images

gvc, that's the best looking half cross I've seen in a while. :thumbs:

Second that, looks tough and racy, great example

[/quote.

Thanks for the comments he really is a very smart animal in the flesh. He is the type of dog that you'd love any collie haters to try and work there dogs along side. Now the question is can he produce offspring of an equally high standard.

• Like 1

As has been said now several times...great thread...good to see such a positive slant on this "type" of dog.

Thanks to a lot of lurcher books and articles in the 80s and 90s we were all led to believe that in order to hunt x,y or z you needed to have a dog with particular percentages of particular breeds. You were "allowed" to own others if you really insisted but you might start certain people tutting. So, reading a thread like this, it's good to hear so many accepting (or realising...not sure which word fits best here) that what you really want/need is a dog that does what you want/need...regardless of the breeds involved.

When I used to buy The Shooting News (and later The Countryman's Weekly) I'd cut out all the articles I liked and still have them saved in ring binders. Most of my favourites were one-off articles about one-off dogs which weren't necessarily regular crosses but which still did what kept their owners happy. As well as all the Stag Carter and Les White articles (and some chap writing about heeler crosses :whistling: ), there was one about a Labrador loaded whippet cross and, my all time favourite article, one by somebody called S. Merrell all about collies. As well as touching on their use in lurcher breeding, it mainly dealt with their use as hunting dogs in their own right and when crossed with other breeds like spaniels and terriers. Looking back, I think it was this article which lead me from half crosses to three quarter crosses and, eventually, to pure sheep and cattle dogs...that Merrell chap's got a lot to answer for...I may have been catching more rabbits if I'd ignored him! :laugh:

• Like 4

gvc, that's the best looking half cross I've seen in a while. :thumbs:

Second that, looks tough and racy, great example

[/quote.

Thanks for the comments he really is a very smart animal in the flesh. He is the type of dog that you'd love any collie haters to try and work there dogs along side. Now the question is can he produce offspring of an equally high standard.

If you do use him with a equally good bitch please pm me I would be very intrested, if the timing is right.

• Like 2