Collie Greyhound

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love em or loathe em..nothing stirs a debate when the words collie & lurcher are talked of in the same sentence..some owners me included just seem to gel with a cur x where others would rather tea

I have to be honest here the collie x was my first Lurcher, back in 1958 I was 14 years old still at school, I wrote about this before, Now this is the crunch, I learned with that dog by listening t

i've run cur dogs for best part of 30 years now, and it has to be said that the owner does make an enormous difference to the dog. yes failures do occur, but have you ever wondered why most profession

Posted Images

For Rabbit very good, depends how you train them, Fox ?????? some will, and some wont, but after saying that I think there is a lot of other breeds like that as well, concentrate on the edible, and they will fill your freezer, and keep the pot full, (((((( a MANGY ole fox, terrier x ,,, Hard mouth, on rabbits,though, and liable to yap, :yes:

• Like 2

tallyman -when i were lad lol we all used 1st xcollie greyhounds and a few used 3quarter collie greyhounds -to say they dont kill fox? we killed hundreds with them most done single handed and were very very useful dogs -i owned a dog called glen that put 5 fox in boot of car single handed in one night -he worked with terriers he done bamby he worked with ferrets played with the kids and would gaurd you with his life! -billy

• Like 18

As been said I think handy ferreting dogs!handy on the lamp for rabbits ! And preban seen a few take hares and deer but they are a sensitive cross and can be ruined easy enough ! And as for a foxing dog (preban) the odds are against the collie cross I belive ! More will fail at the sport than make the grade!

• Like 1

tally-dont get ya knickers in a twist i wasnt having a pop at you just saying how it were when i worked lurchers -some right touchy buggers on this lurcher forum -no wonder everyone says its the most argumentative forum around-storm i totally agree with you in that a lot dont make the grade but when you get a good one it really is a good one but that can be said about most crosses i reckon -billy

I must add that the collie x grey with coursing grey blood in the mix they were hard to beat, they were bred in the late 50s and 60s in those days dogs were kept to do there job, IE, the hill collie that worked the hills, Long legged, stood 24/25" could run, stamina, biddable, and would face up to anything take the coursing greyhound around 26/27" speed, stamina, (((( the gentry had been breeding that dog for over 150 years, competition, was immense, when you bred from those two types you had some thing decent, 2or3 out that type in a litter was good for Hares, Bambi, rabbits, the rest of the litter were only rabbit dogs but very good ones, I never heard or experienced, the faults about the collie cross, as you do on the THL Probably, they bred of a pet collie couldn't work all it was good for was chasing cars, and barking next they went for a greyhound, off a local flapping track or even worse, A dog that never raced, then they expect the litter of pups to be world beaters, I am TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE, not from reading books written by a dreamer, Hoping that his dreams can come true, ONe of those types of hill collies would do a fox run all night for you, ASK Fuji, why he owns a 3/4 collie, one eye and can still do his job, I owned a bitch collie /whippet/ greyhound stood only 23" she took plenty of Hares, that was her job, Hunt from the road, kill her quarry, and carry back up to the van, Yes and proper wee guard dog as well no body would come into yard at night when she was about,

• Like 13

Well said border lad I think most of the collie crosses you see and hear of are the Hancock dogs bred from everyone else is waste! Them dogs sound good handy hounds! What kind of bags of rabbits was these dogs capable of taking or was the pre lamp days?

As been said I think handy ferreting dogs!handy on the lamp for rabbits ! And preban seen a few take hares and deer but they are a sensitive cross and can be ruined easy enough ! And as for a foxing dog (preban) the odds are against the collie cross I belive ! More will fail at the sport than make the grade!

yeh fair point :thumbs: , had big 3/8 collie b/b 5/8 grey 1/2 hancock bred Blaze, he kill foxes no prob solo, in fact I think he liked them and feral cats more than rabbits lol. But he was my only collie x like that , my other colliexs that ive had were not as game as him regards getting bite by old Charlie , so you are right some will tackle the teeth job, but a lot wont :yes: Blaze 27in had him in the 80s

blaze_zps0b7fae91.jpg

• Like 7

tallyman -when i were lad lol we all used 1st xcollie greyhounds and a few used 3quarter collie greyhounds -to say they dont kill fox? we killed hundreds with them most done single handed and were very very useful dogs -i owned a dog called glen that put 5 fox in boot of car single handed in one night -he worked with terriers he done bamby he worked with ferrets played with the kids and would gaurd you with his life! -billy

agree with billy on this one saw glen run many times,and he did job with ease also saw a lot of other types including pure greyhounds do the job,before bull crosses came on the scene,so i think i would still go for the cross over a bull cross ,but thats just me atb mc

• Like 1

the collie crosses I was talking about was run daylight, never lamped, Run on plough, seed fields, Tattie fields, and Moorland, and Ive run them on Hard frost,

with no problems, Back in those days, deerhound/grey was a common breed then, x that breed into a good collie cross, and it did not stop there, once you crossed with the deerhound cross you get dogs upto 28/29" when you had a good bitch out of all those crosses especially, a bitch with a broken coat or rough coat which was common the next cross, a Grew dog, grey/whippet, and that litter you were on the money for all edible, a good coat good feet, with pace and a hunting brain, Prey drive, then I screwed up I emigrated, and I lost all that good breeding, when I came back 10 years later things had moved on LAMPING,

and the saluki xs the Saluki x has great recovery from a hard run, and can run clever, good feet, eye sight, prey drive,, you have to learn to work with them

they are the aristocrats, of the lurcher world, oh they can do there job, but sometimes they try your patience to the limit, such as life, nothing wrong with a good ole collie x biddable, I think it has a lot to do with the man on the end of the Lead, thats the problem, and if you run any dog Long enough , hard enough, you will sicken them always keep your dog sweet, that dog what you keep dreaming about does not exist, you HAVE to PUT the WORK IN front of the dog,But also know when he or she has had enough, you cannot keep emptying the tank, because its going to run dry,

• Like 9

Some wise words border lad been about the game for a few years have you?you can sicken the collie crosses easy I belive !you need to understand the dog you have! Yes bird I just think if you look at the collie it's not in the nature to kill and risk getting hurt on another predator? They are more clever and ready to live another clever day ! We're the bull cross is out to do battle with anything that comes into it's path! Given the exception in both crosses! I've always own the collie cross and suits my all-round rabbiting do I require tho on bigger nights on the rabbits I think a little bit of bull/terrier influence to keep that hunger!