Food Aggression

As some of you may remember I rehomed my dog five month ago and recently got him back! I've got him back with a whole load of problems! But the one that's causing most concern at the minute is his new found food aggression! Before he left I and anybody else could put there hand in his bowl and hand feed him! Now though he's started growling at the kids! I know I must feed him separately away from the children but has anyone had experience of this and overcome it? Please no negative comments!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is NOT the right way to treat a dog that has been abused. I would suggest the dog is kept apart from children completely while you try and rebuild his confidence. If you can't keep the dog away f

Robin hood considering you have worked or do work around 37 greyhounds you don't know a lot about dogs that live in a domestic environment, which greyhound kennels are not. I have been around hunting

Never mind scruffing the dog, whoever left him in this state wants a kicking Hope you get it sorted though.

Get him outside then mate and scruff and pin him when he growls show him who boss. Try feeding him out your hand a bit build his trust again

That is NOT the right way to treat a dog that has been abused. I would suggest the dog is kept apart from children completely while you try and rebuild his confidence. If you can't keep the dog away from the kids, then you'll either have to rehome to someone that will understand the problem and work to rehabilitate the dog, or PTS.

These sort of posts fill me with sadness, and make me even more sure that I'll never rehome a dog ever again to anyone I don't know as well as my own self.

• Like 9

I am so upset with myself for letting him go but I thought I was doing the right thing! Other than the food he shows no aggression towards people at all! The kids love him and vice versa and spend hours playing and cuddling! They are supervised at all times!

In that case feed him quietly away from the hustle and bustle of the home. Shut him in a room on his own when you feed him, not a cage where he will feel doubly defensive with everyone able to see him and stare at him. If the food is really the only problem then do what it takes to make the dog feel comfortable while he's eating and make sure the whole family know what you are doing and why, so no one goes and disturbs him at his grub. Also make sure that it is you who let him out again afterwards, just in case.

Feed him in a room but you remain with him,. put the bowl down and while he is eating it push the bowl with your foot he wont bother with you then get him use to you picking up his bowl while he is eating, only for a few seconds and then put it down and let him finish his food don't let any one else do it only you once he realises you are not taking his food away and if you do, it comes back quickly he will begin to feel less food aggressive. Where kids are concerned or in fact anyone in the house the dog cannot be allowed to show any kind of aggression,no matter what the reason is behind it. if a dog is allowed to show aggression in the home it is an accident waiting to happen, the dog new boundaries before and it needs to have them reasserted asap.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 2

Feed him in a room but you remain with him,. put the bowl down and while he is eating it push the bowl with your foot he wont bother with you then get him use to you picking up his bowl while he is eating, only for a few seconds and then put it down and let him finish his food don't let any one else do it only you once he realises you are not taking his food away and if you do, it comes back quickly he will begin to feel less food aggressive. Where kids are concerned or in fact anyone in the house the dog cannot be allowed to show any kind of aggression,no matter what the reason is behind it. if a dog is allowed to show aggression in the home it is an accident waiting to happen, the dog new boundaries before and it needs to have them reasserted asap.

spot on that.

Having dealt with quite a few rescue dogs, may I second Skycat's advice. Before you do any re-'training', the dog must be feeling relaxed again about the whole feeding business. This won't be achieved by doing anything that might add to the stress he is already feeling.You need him to trust you 100%. WHEN he is relaxed and trusting again, then you can start gently getting him used to you being around him while he eats, when that is going ok, see if he will let you add some tasty treat to his bowl or even just near his bowl without reacting. You want to stop just short of provoking a reaction. Don't rush it and he will come round. Well done for having him back and trying to get him right, it may take some time and lots of patience but it is always worth it.

As some of you may remember I rehomed my dog five month ago and recently got him back! I've got him back with a whole load of problems! But the one that's causing most concern at the minute is his new found food aggression! Before he left I and anybody else could put there hand in his bowl and hand feed him! Now though he's started growling at the kids! I know I must feed him separately away from the children but has anyone had experience of this and overcome it? Please no negative comments!

Firstly if it showing this type of aggression,especially towards kids,then its a dog that can never be trusted and kids should never be left unsupervised around it,if it shows food aggression it will show aggression for other reasons.Id feed it with the kids around and gently chastise its indiscretions,taking a far firmer stance if necessary,id repeat this process time after time after time,until the growling stops and you can move its bowl and feed from hand without the aggressive response,ill warrant the dog will soon learn and get back to its early ways,yet dogs like this can be a ticking time bomb.Id give it a chance,only one.Personally it would be outside in a run for me.Good luck.