Bushing Herding Dogs

Tozer

Ok I don't know all that much about them what made me think about it was a guy I know another forum swear that his bust trap dog was one but if any of you guys know of one that might make a better choice most looking for one to find traps on drags find beaver muskrat and mink den's and blood tracking big game

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Collie loves hunting, he not scared of getting fired in. Good ferreting / marking dog, smashes through cover, loves to work. Also an excellent watch dog. Bred him myself and both parents are t

The various pastoral breeds, still used for working and herding tasks,..usually offer something worthwhile to justify their inclusion within most types of hunting dog...

She looks like a lovely little thing reddog.   It's funny how often, when you ask people about their best dogs or the ones they have the fondest memories of, they're often, "Oh it had a bit of this

They have tremendous noses, used in the UK as gundogs, deer tracking dog's to name but a few.

Some are now crossed to make good lurchers.

They are a powerful animal as stated, some lads use them on here, I think Tiercel has one and a few lads have them crossed as lurchers and I believe they get results

Don't listen to them kyboy...follow your dreams and get a heeler! :D

Only joking! In all seriousness, if you know someone who used one for the same job then maybe it is the right breed but I'd also agree that a scenthound should be ideal for it too. I'd argue that the main point to consider would be matching your character/temperament to that of the dog as it'll make every day (both the working and the non-working ones) a lot more enjoyable. I guess that's what people are understandably saying above i.e. a heeler could be perfect for that job but​ would it be as happy when it's not working? Only you know how much on-time and off-time the dog will get. I'd try meeting a few individuals of the breed(s) you're thinking of first to see how you gel with them.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what the rulebooks say you just connect with a certain breed or type and everything else becomes a secondary consideration. ;)

• Like 2

Don't listen to them kyboy...follow your dreams and get a heeler! :D

Only joking! In all seriousness, if you know someone who used one for the same job then maybe it is the right breed but I'd also agree that a scenthound should be ideal for it too. I'd argue that the main point to consider would be matching your character/temperament to that of the dog as it'll make every day (both the working and the non-working ones) a lot more enjoyable. I guess that's what people are understandably saying above i.e. a heeler could be perfect for that job but​ would it be as happy when it's not working? Only you know how much on-time and off-time the dog will get. I'd try meeting a few individuals of the breed(s) you're thinking of first to see how you gel with them.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what the rulebooks say you just connect with a certain breed or type and everything else becomes a secondary consideration. ;)

that's what i was trying to get at.mine would be 100% up for hunting and killing things very high prey drive.but she would be no good at the beach or just hanging around the back yard for the weekend ect. And they are damn near impossible to tire out.you can run the legs off mine now and 10mins later she's bouncing to go again

• Like 1

I understand what you guys are saying the guy I was talking to did it for a living so they were out 5 or 6 days a week but with me it a weekend thing so go out Friday evening and come back Sunday night so with the G.W.P do they need any kind of special training for ground tracking I was just wondering because the only time I have seen them was on TV as a bird dog

I understand what you guys are saying the guy I was talking to did it for a living so they were out 5 or 6 days a week but with me it a weekend thing so go out Friday evening and come back Sunday night so with the G.W.P do they need any kind of special training for ground tracking I was just wondering because the only time I have seen them was on TV as a bird dog

Na they hate foxes, over in nz they used on pigs which will be like your feral hogs, they all round varmint dog probably better choice than the heeler tbh.

Just noticed if that's the guy with the heeler out all week.then that's how he can use one as he is out nearly every day working it, a herding dog won't take to being left all week kicking it's heels.

Ok something that I have noticed as I was looking around was there is the G.W.P and something called the D.D which from what I have been able to find same say is the more the old school dog and the G.W.P being the Americanized version so were you guys talking about the D.D or the G.W.P also if anyone knows of any training videos or books in English for them as varmin dog which I grew up with treeing hounds so if they are trained like a hound for fur I can probably do ok

my pup is just starting her ferreting/bushing career :laugh: shes just quarter collie.. has pushed out a few bits and bobs for the lurcher and is taking to it quite well..

nice looking dog what is she x with

thanks, shes just a mongrel really.. the dam was a collie x bedlington x whippet and sire was a jack russell.. happy she turned out quite light framed and racy really considering the mix and is suprisingly quick over a short distance

ive seen a few like that whippet/lurcher cross terrier back in the 80s good marking dogs /bush well and did ok ferreting in tight spots best of luck :thumbs:

• Like 1