Bushing Herding Dogs

Tozer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Collie loves hunting, he not scared of getting fired in. Good ferreting / marking dog, smashes through cover, loves to work. Also an excellent watch dog. Bred him myself and both parents are t

The various pastoral breeds, still used for working and herding tasks,..usually offer something worthwhile to justify their inclusion within most types of hunting dog...

She looks like a lovely little thing reddog.   It's funny how often, when you ask people about their best dogs or the ones they have the fondest memories of, they're often, "Oh it had a bit of this

She looks like a lovely little thing reddog.

It's funny how often, when you ask people about their best dogs or the ones they have the fondest memories of, they're often, "Oh it had a bit of this and a bit of that," and they're often not what you'd necessarily go for on paper but something about them clicks.

• Like 4

Had a Collie on the Farm many years ago.25" to the shoulder.Work cattle and sheep all day.Used to lamp her in the Night .Caught a fair number of Rabbits.But she was a Demon on Fox. :yes::yes:

When my grandad had the old council farm dad says he had collies that worked cattle well, stopped foxes and would pull up a bolting bullock. I only really see kelpies with the same pig headedness now

• Like 1

Had a Collie on the Farm many years ago.25" to the shoulder.Work cattle and sheep all day.Used to lamp her in the Night .Caught a fair number of Rabbits.But she was a Demon on Fox. :yes::yes:

When my grandad had the old council farm dad says he had collies that worked cattle well, stopped foxes and would pull up a bolting bullock. I only really see kelpies with the same pig headedness now

Kelpies...pig-headed? Mine are all sweetness and light and "Yes Sir; straight away Sir!" Honest! :whistling:

• Like 1

Not necessarily pig headed to commands but hard and stubborn with their jobs

Mine are definitely both! Having said that, it's a trait I've come to like and appreciate. With previous collie crosses I expected instant compliance (and invariably got it). When I got Rusty I was one of those people who was under the misapprehension that kelpies were like border collies but with better feet and heat tolerance...so I had a steep learning curve. I could have forced him into a steep learning curve but I'd like to think I was wise enough by then to realise that I was the one who needed to change.

As a result I now find that I almost always have to ask for things twice. First time means 'this is what I'd like you to do' then, if they ignore me, I'll reassess whether I was possibly in the wrong and, if I decide I'm still right then the second time means "no: I really mean it!' Adding an 'F' word into the sentence or adding "NOW!" at the end can help too! :D

• Like 2

Not necessarily pig headed to commands but hard and stubborn with their jobs

Mine are definitely both! Having said that, it's a trait I've come to like and appreciate. With previous collie crosses I expected instant compliance (and invariably got it). When I got Rusty I was one of those people who was under the misapprehension that kelpies were like border collies but with better feet and heat tolerance...so I had a steep learning curve. I could have forced him into a steep learning curve but I'd like to think I was wise enough by then to realise that I was the one who needed to change.

As a result I now find that I almost always have to ask for things twice. First time means 'this is what I'd like you to do' then, if they ignore me, I'll reassess whether I was possibly in the wrong and, if I decide I'm still right then the second time means "no: I really mean it!' Adding an 'F' word into the sentence or adding "NOW!" at the end can help too! :D

I have come to accept I ask for everything twice from most dogs you are not alone. I know a lot of farmers either love or hate them

Farm i use to help out on had a collie, mean as sin and i was warned she would try and bite me , true collie style in a sneek attack , while her acompliss a gordon setter barked like fury she would sneek round, first day i arrive the setters barking and running at me i suddenly sensed midge the collie there, i turned and kicked her square in the jaw, she stopped , looked puzzled and then followed me around everytime i was there, she checked traps, feeders , bushed , retrived shot game , ferreted , and generally acted like she was my dog, i was only 15 and i still remember this dog, she truly was an exceptional animal, the farmer used her to work sheep and pigs , but everything she did with me she just picked it up as she went along saw her tackle mink and rats and worked on shoot days like a spaniel, im a true collie convert and would only have collie blooded lurchers now, and if a collie came my way id definately find space to keep it !

Once a cur bites your arse nothing ever bites the same again,fact.

She looks like a lovely little thing reddog.

It's funny how often, when you ask people about their best dogs or the ones they have the fondest memories of, they're often, "Oh it had a bit of this and a bit of that," and they're often not what you'd necessarily go for on paper but something about them clicks.

thanks neal yeah im really pleased with her so far, shes picking things up just great for what i wanted her for really. i got her so i can retire my old bitch whos also just a random terrier mongrel and 11yrs + old now, she has been spot on marking ferreting and bushing all the yrs ive had her,i hope this little one can fill her shoes :)

Yeah, it's an odd one that...when I knew Rusty was on his last legs I did a lot of research before getting Noggin as his future replacement so that their characters would be similar. However, although Scout is a pure kelpie too she looks a lot more mongrelly and whenever I cast my eye to the future and think about replacing her I tend to imagine a whippet cross taking her place as that's what she is to me...a little nondescript black and tan thing which looks like it's a quarter whippet and has a fantastic nose. She marked a baby rat in a rubble sack full of folded up plaster board in amongst a heap of sacks and kids plastic toys where somebody had been fly-tipping at the weekend. Not quite as nippy as she was though so Noggin got to it first when I ripped the bag open.

• Like 1

plenty of Kelpies are used as hunting dogs over here. Mostly as finder bailers on the pigs and a lot a farmers use them as fox dogs to push the foxes from cover deepends on the dog really some have it some do not.

The sire of my two bitches was a cattle-working kelpie and his owner told me he'd seen off a few foxes in his time. He also told me how his massive stud bull used to shake with fear whenever he stepped into the field!

My first kelpie Rusty (in my avatar) never showed any interest in foxes and Scout doesn't seem that fussed either whereas Amber always gave chase and Noggin is showing signs of being keen too. Noggin also has the benefit of being a lot bigger so I'm less concerned about him getting in trouble (Scout is barely 18" and about 26lbs whereas Noggin is over 22" and weighs about 43lbs). :icon_eek:

• Like 1