Bought Or Reared?

The 2 best dogs I've owned I bought in, the dog was through a change of circumstances for the previous owner, awesome animal had him from 4yrs old til he was PTS at 10, the bitch my friend had, and was the best foxing bitch I'd ever seen so just told him if he ever was to let her go to give me first dibs, got her at 6 and had some cracking sport with her in her later years, bred the two of them 3 yrs ago and now I have my own dogs and base stock to go back to.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to take in quite a few lurchers as rescues, not necessarily dogs that had been dumped; just dogs people didn't want any more, and I wouldn't have kept a single one myself. They were all rehomed

Seen a lot more rubbish that was bought than anything, the reason there's so much shite about is people don't PTS failures, they'd rather make a quick buck and sell on rubbish.....

or some don't have the heart to put to sleep a healthy animal

bought in an older dog about 15yrs ago, all he had done was lamp, getting him to mooch was a bit of a trial but once he got it there was no looking back, bitch i have no got her at 8 wks but i knew the guy who bred her & she turned out a sound bitch & ive kept a dog pup from her (3yrs old now) & hes decent too so ive had the best of both really

• Like 1

Had my old bitch of a mate but seen her lamp and day time for a while first so new what I was getting we bond really well and I adore the bitch ! But only pups from now on had two now the bitch is 2 1/2 and has been a dream to work with the dog is more of a slow starter but getting there with time

Got my first lurcher bought for me for my 11th birthday a cracking dog on everything the lads much older than me told me every were with them he ended his days up Scotland bought a couple more in than started breeding me own off me old bitch Rio she was a sal/gray collie/gray am in to the third generation now an they suit me fine

I used to take in quite a few lurchers as rescues, not necessarily dogs that had been dumped; just dogs people didn't want any more, and I wouldn't have kept a single one myself. They were all rehomed as pets eventually. Not only did they all have 'baggage' of one sort or another, but I just couldn't form the necessary bond with them. I applaud people who do take in second hand dogs and make useful workers out of them, but it is so much harder, and not always worth the struggle, to try and fix problems of bad breeding, bad rearing, bad or nonexistent training, and in my experience, most dogs that get sold on as adults will be victims of one or more of those conditions or situations.

Not to mention physical issues stemming from injuries that hadn't been treated correctly at the time of injury: ranging from broken bones not set correctly, to less major issues such as old muscle or tendon damage that hadn't been treated at all.

Quite different if you know where the dog has come from, the person who owned it previously, and you know that the dog has a decent background.

• Like 4