Feed Or Not Feed

A hungry dog has its mind on food not on the job and has less energy for job in hand.

You cannot compare a fox hound to a lurcher but you can to a gsd standing by a gate lol.

​What is a dog doing when its working its hunting ,why does a animal hunt because its hungry.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a load of pish..for the sake of 30 bob id rather put my buddy a pan of scran down..work em hard and treat em like heroes not starve em once a week because of some old wives tale!!

This ole Lurcher World seems to get ever more complicated,..

A dog digests its meal in 8 hours so if your lamping at 10 then why not feed at 2pm ... You will have a dog that's fully fuelled for a hard or easy night whichever it turns out to be ... Its common se

i think all this starving talk is quite exaggerated. i don't believa a dog is tarving by skipping one meal. i was under the impression before races, pit, etc dogs were not fed, though i could be wrong. i know i would not want a belly full before a sprint.

• Like 2

If you really want to learn go and make your own mistakes gaz,You wont learn blindly following others.

I"ll guarantee thats the best advice you will ever get on here :thumbs:

But with respect weasel,,it's exactly what you are doing,,blindly following others....

The reason you feed last thing at night,,,is because that's how you were taught when you were younger,,,I know cos I was the same,,,all the older chaps did it that I went out with....and you just take it as gospel,,,,and for the most part it works ....

Yes tomo you could be right :icon_redface: Thats why i still pull my ferrets teeth,feed bread and milk,blow smoke up there noses to make them angry.

And i never ever feed the dogs lamb or they will start killing sheep :laugh::laugh:

I knew lads 25 years + feeding dogs before lamping :icon_eek:

Edited by weasle
  • Like 1

Mods will you please move this thread to the hound section,All over the country hunts find hounds rioting on foxs,Next thing you know fox and hounds are heading towards busy roads,train tracks ect ect.Hunt staff, foot followers, car followers frantically trying to stop them ,all they have to do is throw down a cheese sandwich job done :clapper::clapper:

A hungry dog has its mind on food not on the job and has less energy for the job in hand ....

This dog was never starved off and believe me he was plenty animated lol ........c89a3768-caae-4b82-a3ea-358e94e66e6a.jpg

Did you eat that bloke in the photo?........... :laugh:

• Like 2

A hungry dog has its mind on food not on the job and has less energy for job in hand.

You cannot compare a fox hound to a lurcher but you can to a gsd standing by a gate lol.

​What is a dog doing when its working its hunting ,why does a animal hunt because its hungry.

I never mentioned a fox hound ... There you go again seeing words that are not there ... There really must be a medical term for this ??? Yes an animal hunts because its hungry ... It catches its prey it eats it and goes to sleep ... Wouldn't be much of a hunting dog if did what a wild animal did would it ??? That's why comparing a wolf that's hungry and kills to survive is irrelevant when talking about a dog that's expected to catch rabbit after rabbit after rabbit ... The dog is hunting because we have developed it into what we want not what it was ... We have increased its prey drive but also its willingness to work with us and go against all its instinct and give us its prize time after time ... Wolf hungry hunts catches eats sleeps ... Dog hungry hunts catches ... Catches ... Catches ... Gets depleted and tired misis ... Misis .... Misis .... Done for the night ... Pretty simple really ........

• Like 2

A hungry dog has its mind on food not on the job and has less energy for the job in hand ....

This dog was never starved off and believe me he was plenty animated lol ........c89a3768-caae-4b82-a3ea-358e94e66e6a.jpg

Great photo socks, how did you find it, working with german shepherds?

I found the shepherds out of all the dogs the most reliable and able ... Rotties can't easily do obstacle work and burn out fairly quickly on intense exercise and Belgian shepherds just don't have an off switch and are easily distracted if they are not kept busy ... I did do a bit of work with a giant schnauzer and that was a very capable dog ......

• Like 1

Oh i get you know yes, a hungry fox hound does have its mind on the job a hungry lurcher dosnt.

Now it all makes sense...

You did say dog? a hound is a dog am i right so far?

Presuming my lurcher is a dog :hmm: next time she takes of after somthing i dont want her to chase will she stop if a throw a cheese sandwich at her head?

Great photo socks, how did you find it, working with german shepherds?

I found the shepherds out of all the dogs the most reliable and able ... Rotties can't easily do obstacle work and burn out fairly quickly on intense exercise and Belgian shepherds just don't have an off switch and are easily distracted if they are not kept busy ... I did do a bit of work with a giant schnauzer and that was a very capable dog ......

Thank you Socks. I find the same myself. A friend has a belgian shepherd as well and its a drug/ security dog, its mad as a box of frogs, but full on when working.

Good german shepherd hard to beat in my opinion.

Oh i get you know yes, a hungry fox hound does have its mind on the job a hungry lurcher dosnt.

Presuming my lurcher is a dog :hmm: next time she takes of after somthing i dont want her to chase will she stop if a throw a cheese sandwich at her head?

Once more for the idiot in the room I HAVE NEVER MENTIONED FOX HOUNDS ... Hopefully that has finally sunk in !!! You do what you want fella ... You seem to have all the answers and knowledge you need it doesn't make a fukcs bit of difference to me what you do with your dogs and how hungry or full they are when you take them out .........

If I fed my dogs at lunchtime on a Sunday let's say,starved em Monday and wanted to go lamping Tuesday night and not feed until returning and run 70/80 bunnies whilst out I don't care what dog you have or how its bred it WILL NOT perform ...if your grafting them seriously hard you CANNOT miss a feed infact quite the opposite..I feed mine in an afternoon as it takes 8-9 hours to digest their food,lamp them,feed on return,then feed again in the afternoon and they are fuelled to go again the following night..so my dogs will get five pans of scran in 48 hours if lamped two consecutive nights..you live & learn in this game so just do what you think is right for your mutt..if it don't work then change it :-)

run 70/80 bunnies ?and hes saying other people talk utter shite

If I fed my dogs at lunchtime on a Sunday let's say,starved em Monday and wanted to go lamping Tuesday night and not feed until returning and run 70/80 bunnies whilst out I don't care what dog you have or how its bred it WILL NOT perform ...if your grafting them seriously hard you CANNOT miss a feed infact quite the opposite..I feed mine in an afternoon as it takes 8-9 hours to digest their food,lamp them,feed on return,then feed again in the afternoon and they are fuelled to go again the following night..so my dogs will get five pans of scran in 48 hours if lamped two consecutive nights..you live & learn in this game so just do what you think is right for your mutt..if it don't work then change it :-)

Why do you find that hard to believe ??? ......

• Like 2

Once more for the idiot in the room I HAVE NEVER MENTIONED FOX HOUNDS ... Hopefully that has finally sunk in !!! You do what you want fella ... You seem to have all the answers and knowledge you need it doesn't make a fukcs bit of difference to me what you do with your dogs and how hungry or full they are when you take them out .........

Did you say A hungry dog has its mind on food not on the job and has less energy for the job in hand

Is a hound a dog?Will my dog stop chasing if i throw food in front of it?( its not collie)

Why do you find that hard to believe ??? ......

because its not true