Bow Hunting

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a little bit of me that really wanted that elephant to charge and flatten that septic when he shot it with the bow.   Got to say on this occasion I disagree with born hunter, I can't sanct

Shooting the elephant with a bow is about one thing and one thing only bragging rights, like it or hate it, wether it was a cull animal or a trophy maybe even both the fact is in the eyes of this hunt

What a load of crap hunters on a hunting site saying a man needs beating for hunting in a way man has done for thousands of years there's nothing wrong with bow hunting and all these people moaning ab

There was a little bit of me that really wanted that elephant to charge and flatten that septic when he shot it with the bow.

Got to say on this occasion I disagree with born hunter, I can't sanction in my tiny brain why anyone would want to shoot at an elephant with a bow and arrow!!??

But then again, I can't get my head round the whole "trophy" thing anyway!

It comes down to everyone's personal code and I am afraid just "hurting things" for fun don't sit right with me, if your going to kill something then kill it !!

Don't make my killing any better than his killing I just couldn't bring myself to do away with such a magnificent example of gods creation unless there was a good reason (like it was injured and suffering or posed a direct danger to life) and I certainly wouldn't attempt it with an arrow.

It's like trying to kill a human with a 4" nail !!

Funny, but I wouldn't have a problem with a couple of sporting match dogs doing what they were bred for or game chickens but for a sentient creature like a human to make the choice to kill beasts like elephants and lions, then to use something like a bow to do it just don't sit well with me.

• Like 5

Good post wilf,,,,

I have to agree,,I'm not one for the hole trophy thing,,,and would find no pleasure in hunting an elephant ,,,in fact there's a hole raft of large creatures I wouldn't want to kill...

Of course I don't want it banned,,,because I understand the conservation that goes on ,,on these estates,,and how much revenu is brought in,,,it's just not for me

• Like 2

There was a little bit of me that really wanted that elephant to charge and flatten that septic when he shot it with the bow.

Got to say on this occasion I disagree with born hunter, I can't sanction in my tiny brain why anyone would want to shoot at an elephant with a bow and arrow!!??

It comes down to everyone's personal code and I am afraid just "hurting things" for fun don't sit right with me, if your going to kill something then kill it !!

Don't make my killing any better than his killing I just couldn't bring myself to do away with such a magnificent example of gods creation unless there was a good reason (like it was injured and suffering or posed a direct danger to life) and I certainly wouldn't attempt it with an arrow.

Funny, but I wouldn't have a problem with a couple of sporting match dogs doing what they were bred for or game chickens but for a sentient creature like a human to make the choice to kill beasts like elephants and lions, then to use something like a bow to do it just don't sit well with me.

That's fine Wilf, I wouldn't want to kill an elephant with a 500 nitro never mind a bow. We all have our own personal hunting dos and don'ts. My gripe is with those that would judge the man in question exactly the same way the antis judge us. It's hypocrasy! I'm sure he didn't go out to 'hurt something' anymore than you would if you went out to run a deer or dig a fox.... but there is suffering involved to the quarry in both. And both you are likely doing for your own enjoyment, even if you are providing a service to the landowner or sticking some venison in the freezer. But that's alright because.......?

I see hares as pretty magnificent creatures myself, I dislike even seeing a dog kill one deep down. But not personally feeling okay with something and actually dissagreeing with it from an ethical standpoint are different and you had better be stood on very sound ethical ground to do so. If we start playing the "that's a magnificent creature so shouldn't be hunted" we're on a rocky road.

It's amazing the responses....

Clearly there's many people who do not understand bowhunting.

As it happens I do not agree with bowhunting the larger pachyderms, for the simple reason that there is a good chance of hitting a rib and they can't be broke with an arrow. BUT agree with bowhunting everything else.

I hope no one on here thinks elephants are rare? They're actually over-populated.... :thumbs:

Must admit it's somthing I've always wanted to do,,,bow hunting that is,, when I was over in oz a good few year back I met lad that I ferreted with,,,and had I had more time he would have took me,,, the closest I got was buying the bow hunting magazines in the gun shops out there,,I had a hole pile of them,,,some incredible creatures killed,,,and at very close range,,,that is one thing I admired,,, the skill in getting real up close and personal with some very dangerous animals,,,especially them water buffalo

• Like 1

It's amazing the responses....

Clearly there's many people who do not understand bowhunting.

As it happens I do not agree with bowhunting the larger pachyderms, for the simple reason that there is a good chance of hitting a rib and they can't be broke with an arrow. BUT agree with bowhunting everything else.

I hope no one on here thinks elephants are rare? They're actually over-populated.... :thumbs:

That's a fair point JD and part of the reason I wouldn't ever want to arrow an elephant. It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. But is it really any differrent to shooting with a shotgun where there is a good chance of a bird being pricked and not picked? How many birds on a typical shootday visably take lead but keep flying strong? But again, it comes down to our sentiment. The elephant has more right than the game bird simply because.....

The bow hunter wants a good clean shot and a rapid bleed out just like the Gun wants a good center of pattern hit and dead in the air drop..... I just can't get my head round how we can justify one and condemn the other....

• Like 1

That's fine Wilf, I wouldn't want to kill an elephant with a 500 nitro never mind a bow. We all have our own personal hunting dos and don'ts. My gripe is with those that would judge the man in question exactly the same way the antis judge us. It's hypocrasy! I'm sure he didn't go out to 'hurt something' anymore than you would if you went out to run a deer or dig a fox.... but there is suffering involved to the quarry in both. And both you are likely doing for your own enjoyment, even if you are providing a service to the landowner or sticking some venison in the freezer. But that's alright because.......?

I see hares as pretty magnificent creatures myself, I dislike even seeing a dog kill one deep down. But not personally feeling okay with something and actually dissagreeing with it from an ethical standpoint are different and you had better be stood on very sound ethical ground to do so. If we start playing the "that's a magnificent creature so shouldn't be hunted" we're on a rocky road.

As it happens I would love to bow hunt and bow fish, just not things like an elephant.........if he was using a banger arrow with say a .357 round I could almost sympathise but to as I said, I just can't get my head round killing something for the sake of it.

It all stinks a bit of "cowboy" to me mate

What would be hard to understand about bowhunting?

He clearly took a shoot, which looked pathetic in the grand scheme of things & then after editing a large chunk of film out, we are led to believe that one little arrow finally brought the elephant down lol

I doubt anyone here thinks elephants are rare creatures or has an ethical problem with bowhunting in general, like myself, but that's the poorest example I've seen of the sport.

Personally I'd love to give it a go on suitable quarry.

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1
As it happens I would love to bow hunt and bow fish, just not things like an elephant.........if he was using a banger arrow with say a .357 round I could almost sympathise but to as I said, I just can't get my head round killing something for the sake of it.

It all stinks a bit of "cowboy" to me mate

Strictly speaking, I'd say he was hunting it for the experience as opposed to killing something for the sake of it. We might not rate that experience but I'm sure plenty don't at all rate the hunting experiences that we hold in the highest value.

Cowboy....... Indian surely? LOL

• Like 1

I agree with Bornhunter i cant see what gives one species of animal more value than another when you want it dead.......nobody likes killing for killings sake but thats a " why " question not a " how " question.........seems like a lot of high morals and principals come out when it comes to a big loveable Elephant that dont come out when its a plain ol fox/bunny etc

I agree with Bornhunter i cant see what gives one species of animal more value than another when you want it dead.......nobody likes killing for killings sake but thats a " why " question not a " how " question.........seems like a lot of high morals and principals come out when it comes to a big loveable Elephant that dont come out when its a plain ol fox/bunny etc

Gnasher if I saw a film of someone trying kill a fox with a .22 air rifle, of which this is tantamount, I'd draw the same conclusions.....

• Like 1