First Whippet No Interest

a bit of advice lads would be appreciated

I recently got a 11 month old whippet nothing has been done with her before I got her I have never had a whippet just lurchers and thought it would be a bit of crack for rabbits out lamping mooching and ferreting. but when out walking her rabbits frequently get up in front of her and she pays no interest in them just watches them run away when out witch my lurchers they chase them and catch a few but she just stands and watches even when the rabbit runs right past her with old lurcher in hot pursuit she still just watches. took her out lamping and still the same rabbits and old lurcher flying past her and she just watches. iv never had this problem with lurchers even as pups they were always hell bent on chasing anything. now will she ever come good and start chasing or should I just cut my losses and get rid of her iv no time for non workers in my kennels.

So, you get a Whippet on a whim, for the crack, admit that she's done nothing, seen nothing. Does that mean the dog was kept as a pet, or just kept shut in some kennel all its life? And you wonder why she's not a ready made, raring to go rabbit-slaying demon!

This is a living breathing, feeling animal you're talking about, not a robot. If a dog is deprived of the correct upbringing, the opportunity to learn how to be a predator, it may well end up quite literally retarded, without the correct wiring in its brain which makes it actually want to chase and kill. Whether or not she can make the big change into predator depends partly on your skill and partly on her temperament and then only if she's not been too mentally deprived or damaged to make that change.

If you have the patience and skills to guide her through the learning process, treating her as though she was a puppy, and going through the whole 'growing up' thing many months late, she may switch on in time, but you'll need a massive amount of patience and time. First get her playing games of chase the rabbit skin on a piece of string, and be prepared for endless lack of interest to begin with: can you cope with that? If not, find the poor little thing a decent pet home and look elsewhere for a puppy that you can nurture and bring up as a proper working dog.

• Like 10

had the same problem with a young whippet i got done my head in dropped livers in front of him and still no interest but i found out the dog was never outside his kennel before i got him at 7/8 months so couldnt really blame the dog he just didnt have it in him i guess rabbits would pass him and he wouldnt as much as prick his ears got me self a beddy, whippet/hound happy days

all sighthounds should have the natural instinct to chase , greyhounds that wont chase a mechanical hare, will run a live rabbit. I had none ped whippet bred bitch for racing, and she was great at rabbits caught quite a few :thumbs: .So what you saying and still not joining in the chase with other dogs, not looking good give to pet home if was me .

thanks for the feed back.

iv had this dog for over 3 months and thought long and hard about getting a whippet or another lurcher obviously got a whippet. the man I got it of was a shooting man and thought he would have a go at lamping rabbits but then lost interested but the dog was walked with his springer every day. iv put a lot of time into the dog getting him to no me playing with him walking him getting him to chase me round the garden field with a rabbit skin and throwing a tennis ball with a skin round it he chases it and retrieves it back to had and chases the rabbit skin but just has no interest in the real thing ill keep trying him for a wile if nothing happens ill find him a new home.

astanley is right ,the pup is all at sea and needs confidence , you need to help build that but it wont happen overnight , you should relish the challenge to get this pup that wont chase and turn it in to a working dog . in this instant throwaway world of dogs it seems not many have the nerve to try anymore if the pup isnt automatic , its still young it needs to bond with you and you with it , it may have potential only you can try your best and switch it on,good luck

thanks for the feed back.

iv had this dog for over 3 months and thought long and hard about getting a whippet or another lurcher obviously got a whippet. the man I got it of was a shooting man and thought he would have a go at lamping rabbits but then lost interested but the dog was walked with his springer every day. iv put a lot of time into the dog getting him to no me playing with him walking him getting him to chase me round the garden field with a rabbit skin and throwing a tennis ball with a skin round it he chases it and retrieves it back to had and chases the rabbit skin but just has no interest in the real thing ill keep trying him for a wile if nothing happens ill find him a new home.

:hmm:Well,.it really is your call Sammy...

Facts are, some dogs,..(for a variety of reasons),...lack enough prey drive, to make them suitable hunting partners...You can often gee a dog up, and get him to put a wee bit more effort into the task,.but nothing can replace,. what Mother Nature has left out.. :yes:

Anyway,..best of luck ,.and if things don't work out,..try and find a nice quiet home for the wee jukel...

Regards, Phil.

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 1