• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok. .so there's been plenty of criticism for the antics. .diving..play acting of the footballers in the world cup. And rightly so..It sets a bad example to kids watching that cheating is ok as long as

My son plays semi pro for Coventry Bears , hoping to get a pro contract as they are fully pro from next season , he has also played union up to county standard , ( also boxed , winning 4/5 till he had

Posted Images

Been watching st.helens since i was 6 and 44 years on still enjoy it as much. A great sport to watch dont enjoy football as much these days as said too much play acting.

A shithouse in football who dives etc is just as much of a shithouse as a shithouse in rugby league who puts in some late hits,punches from behind,dangerous high tackles etc.A sportsman is a sportsman at the end of the day.

Nearly every real contact sport involves a lot of respect. Boxing for example. But at the end of the day football is full of overpaid twats that think theyre god. No respect for them at all.

Played since i was about 10 years old and have had some pretty tasty injuries (ruptured kidney on my 18th :icon_eek: to name but one) but every time i did i'd get patched up on the sideline and get back to it. When i was about 18-20 our 1st & 2nd squads would sometimes both be at home and i'd be one of the guys daft enough to play both games back to back.

We're just not made of the same stuff, I think in 18 years i've never had a sin-bin / sending off!! You're taught that the ref's in charge and they must be obeyed no matter how crap they are or how that pass would have made an NFL quarterback proud.

I'm 28 now with a wife and daughter and little time to play anymore, I'm hoping to squeeze another season in but if i can't i'll just have to cope without it. Badly broken finger put me out for a while last year and then 3 games back in i tore my ACL, so the missus isn't keen on me going back either :whistling: . Rugby has been a big part of 2/3 of my life and the best days were playing with my old man 'Robbo' :air_kiss: even if he did scream like a banshee on the sidelines haha

• Like 1

Played it until I was forced to retire at 46. It is IMO a far better game than football simply because of the antics that footballers get up to. Diving, cheating ,abusing the ref etc. Also loved the physical side of it when I played. No matter what happened on the field you shook hands and clapped each other off the pitch at the end. Who do your lads play for.

they play for Upton. .In Yorkshire junior league. .

is neil mears still playing for the open age. my lads played for crofton and hoyland in the juniors and open age.

Played it until I was forced to retire at 46. It is IMO a far better game than football simply because of the antics that footballers get up to. Diving, cheating ,abusing the ref etc. Also loved the physical side of it when I played. No matter what happened on the field you shook hands and clapped each other off the pitch at the end. Who do your lads play for.

is neil mears still playing for the open age. my lads played for crofton and hoyland in the juniors and open age.
no don't think Neil plays anymore. .I've seen him up there watching.

Good side arr upton iv played against them a few times. Iv played for kinsley the last 2 season but thinking of joining upton this season. Great sport cant beat it.

no don't think Neil plays anymore. .I've seen him up there watching.
Hoyland have folded now havnt they? Played them this season.

Yes they have mate . Most of the lads who want to carry on have gone to dearne valley. Shame really it was a good club in its day. Had some brilliant times there, won a few trophies ,but it all went down hill after Steve creek passed away.

I know exactly what you mean I had a brief stint at hoyland before leaving to play for dodworth. In my opinion all the decent youngsters that have passed through hoyland in the last few years have been pinched by shef eagles and never gone back leaving them with less and less players each year.

My son plays semi pro for Coventry Bears , hoping to get a pro contract as they are fully pro from next season , he has also played union up to county standard , ( also boxed , winning 4/5 till he had to choose a sport ) , Bird ,Tomo , Strongstuff ,off here know him ,and will vouch for him when I say , RUGBY , has moulded him in to what he is , thank God I took him to a rugby club when 5 years old , we watch the football together ,laughing as grown men roll on the floor ,like they have been shot , hes not yet 18 and has broke nearly every finger , lost several teeth and as a 16 year old , dislocated a finger during a tournament , had it put back in , went back on ,,won the game ,then 5 days later , won a boxing match with a unanimous decision , not something I could see Suarez or Robben doing ...............or me for that matter !

Glad to hear he's doing well dan,,,I bet he's some lump now,,,it's been a few year since I seen him,,,and he was a big lad then..what position is he playing dan