Whippet X Deerhound

I've put this on befor,,,but that bitch in my avatar was some bitch,,,whipp,grey,,,,over a deer,grey,,, although I only have the vendors word on the breeding,,,,mind not quite the same as a straight deer,whipp,,,but I would love another copy of that bitch,,,,if she got just a few feet from edible quarry,,,,you could almost guarantee ,,,it was in the bag,,,,reall speed machine,,,very exciting to watch

Sally in the red collar ,,

pic12.jpg

Edited by TOMO
  • Like 8

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than try and put a pure whippet to a Deerhound,..we found it easier to use a big whippet (generally a Heavyweight, Scratch Dog) over a nice, well balanced Deerhound /Greyhound. At first there

I've put this on befor,,,but that bitch in my avatar was some bitch,,,whipp,grey,,,,over a deer,grey,,, although I only have the vendors word on the breeding,,,,mind not quite the same as a straight d

Personaly,...I sometimes feel that folk pay too much heed to mathematical equations, percentages, etc,..making the creation of a roustabout hunting dog,..just that wee bit too complicated...

H M, it's not pipe dreams, or that I mind being disagreed with, just more thoughts on what I think could be a good type of dog. And with you saying 'don't get me started with breeding two extremes', well I don't get it, like I said, plenty of people been breeding whippet/salukis over the years, and that's as much an extreme, or even more so, as whipet/deerhound.

I'm not suggesing to put an 18" whippet over a 30" deerhound, but a good strong 22-23""ish whippet from a line known for size over a smaller type deerhound bitch of about 26"-28" from a working bred line that doesn't produce the huge ungainly types you often see. And as I've said, with it being a 1st x I think there would be more chance of having more of an even size amongst the pups. I know you could expect to get get a couple of pups at the extreme ends, but on the whole I think the majority would be of a tidy useful size, right, time for some breakfast lol :thumbs:

23" whippet x 26" deerhound?

So what you are really taking about is a whip/grey over a deer/grey?

Which is just a smaller deerhound based lurcher in my eyes? Apologies if I'm wrong...

• Like 1

H M, it's not pipe dreams, or that I mind being disagreed with, just more thoughts on what I think could be a good type of dog. And with you saying 'don't get me started with breeding two extremes', well I don't get it, like I said, plenty of people been breeding whippet/salukis over the years, and that's as much an extreme, or even more so, as whipet/deerhound.

I'm not suggesing to put an 18" whippet over a 30" deerhound, but a good strong 22-23""ish whippet from a line known for size over a smaller type deerhound bitch of about 26"-28" from a working bred line that doesn't produce the huge ungainly types you often see. And as I've said, with it being a 1st x I think there would be more chance of having more of an even size amongst the pups. I know you could expect to get get a couple of pups at the extreme ends, but on the whole I think the majority would be of a tidy useful size, right, time for some breakfast lol :thumbs:

23" whippet x 26" deerhound?

So what you are really taking about is a whip/grey over a deer/grey?

Which is just a smaller deerhound based lurcher in my eyes? Apologies if I'm wrong...

Lol you know what I mean, a big whippet put to a smallish deerhound. Anyway, as has been said, it's getting a bit complicated now, lurcher to lurcher, the way forward lol. Just a thought, no ill feeling or malice aimed at anyone in particular :thumbs:

I think it could be very handy don't get me wrong.

But finding well tested whippet dog and deerhound bitch of the right size and temperament and from owners willing to do the lining...

I think putting a working whip/grey over a tested deer/grey bitch would be easier to do and give more chance of throwing something really decent.

• Like 3

But finding well tested whippet dog and deerhound bitch of the right size and temperament and from owners willing to do the lining...

I think putting a working whip/grey over a tested deer/grey bitch would be easier to do and give more chance of throwing something really decent.

I agree Gaz. That way you end up with plenty of greyhound blood, which is where the speed that Tomo's bitch had came from.

I agree Gaz. That way you end up with plenty of greyhound blood, which is where the speed that Tomo's bitch had came from.

I get what people are saying, and I know whip/grey x deer/greys are a very good type, but was just thinking about a 1st x whip/deer, and again, as I've said, just thinking

Someone on here bred such a litter a few years ago: or maybe it was someone who knew someone on here: can't remember: always liked the idea though.

it was a good mate of mine from ludlow way sold them like hotcakes bred his deerhound bitch to his coursing whippet both parents were worked same litter someone mentioned above .

My introduction to organised coursing began in 1974 by a man who brought his van in to the garage I'd just started working at aged 16, this guy rented land for his small coursing syndicate just outside Southport and an estate in Cheshire, he always kept first cross deerhound x greyhound and second cross, three quarter breds, the first cross were a bit too heavy for rabbits and could struggle for early pace even on hares, the odd exception was if there was a lighter built bitch in a litter and they always grew into exceptional all round dogs, he thought the first cross was better on larger quarry, the better first crosses were put back to greyhounds and produced outstanding coursing dogs and I've seen them take all quarry, fur and feather, in my opinion the first cross with an even smaller sire ; a whippet could only produce an even higher rate of litter wastage, I ran a first cross dh x gh dog that stood over 30"TTS and he was great on large quarry but very one paced, there have been all sorts of crosses tried with deerhound types but all the better ones have been three quarter breds, also whippets can be yappy little f*ckers when under pressure so why slow it up with deerhound blood unless its part of a breeding programme to cross the resulting progeny with other blood on the next generation, atb, WM

• Like 2