Pups First Night On The Lamp...

ITS A PEACE of mind gaz,,,last nite tells you she defo not a yapper,,,some of them bunnys ran well in and out nettles with the dog still full on, she come back very well for a pup with a lot of rabbits on the ground, her retrieve was all so good,,,, so now you no, ,, what you have on the end of your lead for winter,,, better to now than when she his 16 /17 month old,,, 16 /17 month down the line and find out she sings all nite long,,,and other faults, his long long time to wait,,,,you have a good little dog, so now until winter,,,just get a good bond with her, and enjoy the summer,,

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 2

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gaz,..you are a young man with your entire life ahead of you,.so, a wee bit of advice...   Pay no heed, to folk who tell you what you should be doing....it is your life , not theirs... I've survi

Took the pup out for a look on the lamp tonight with my mate Jim (TJones on here).   She is just coming 11 months old and hasn't seen the lamp before. She's had a handful of daytime rabbits, mostly

Personaly,...I think it up to the man who owns the dog,.. to call the shots...   Looking back through my diaries of the 1970s/1980s ,..we were running scores of rabbits,..often with real young lurc

tjones, there's no questioning the bitch did well, that's quite apparent! It's not the point, killing 16 rabbits this time of year is 1: the wrong time of year (in my opinion) and is not going to do the mans reputation as a "summer hunter" (by some) any good! 2: you're damaging your sport for the coming season (apparently you do recognise seasons) and 3: the bitch is too young to be given that many runs!

If she has made noises previous, why would you give her that many runs on the first night?? Sharp twists and turns can lead to loss of ground and frustration, she could have opened up and then you have got something to worry about! Let her mature, bones harden, muscles tighten etc - if you must, 2/3 runs, go home.

ATB

• Like 6

tjones, there's no questioning the bitch did well, that's quite apparent! It's not the point, killing 16 rabbits this time of year is 1: the wrong time of year (in my opinion) and is not going to do the mans reputation as a "summer hunter" (by some) any good! 2: you're damaging your sport for the coming season (apparently you do recognise seasons) and 3: the bitch is too young to be given that many runs!If she has made noises previous, why would you give her that many runs on the first night?? Sharp twists and turns can lead to loss of ground and frustration, she could have opened up and then you have got something to worry about! Let her mature, bones harden, muscles tighten etc - if you must, 2/3 runs, go home.ATB

:thumbs:

Listen, if this was a newbie of 2/3 posts stating that he'd caught 16 rabbits whilst out with his pup of not yet 11 months in. . What sort of reaction would he get? But we're all familiar with Gaz, he's a likeable member who posts a lot. . Late August/ September (ground permitting) wouldn't hurt a bit, what's the rush? We all know that later is better than early when it comes to pups. .

Likeable member? Haha I'm flattered. I don't think I'm liked very much on here at all and I expected to get a lot more grief.

I won't argue with anyone about this especially someone like yourself. I was summer hunting. End of. But I did it in the interest of my pup and seeing what she was about. Not to fill my freezer. It's still full from winter. Lol.

• Like 5

All the best with the bitch Gaz, I'm sure she'll make a fine animal mate.

But as for lamping this time of year, I just couldn't bring myself to turn the lamp on, just feels wrong to me. The only exception is if you've got permission where the agreement is you keep them to a minimum, to protect vegetation etc. .

the dogs 10 half month old,, iff he waits till september the dog will be not far off 16 month,,,,,,,in a ideal world hit wud be great to have all pups bred in september,,,,12 month down the line wud be season,,,,, how may guys wud wait 16 month to take them out,,,,,,,

Never seen a dog ruined from being started late but seen plenty ruined started too early though.

Good bag for the pup though gaz.

• Like 2

Yep i think 20 odd runs for a pup is to much but each to there own, if it was me i would get the pup out on 2 or 3 rabbit's every couple of weeks through the summer months, for me it's not summer hunting but education. Pup done well though well done.

• Like 1

his dog made i wimper at the age of 7 month,,,pissing about after rabbit in a wood,,,,,the place were i took him, the farmer wants them gone last year i put a post saying hes letting gun men on there,,,in summer, becaurse i dont show my face,,,,,,,, last nite gave gz a peace of mind,,,,,the dog done very well,,,,, has for seeing dogs fuc#ed up,, ive seen hit happen with both, young and old,,,,,hits the man behind the dog,,,,, may be some of the lads who dont a prove i more than happy to have a walk out with your dogs in winter,, :hmm: , the dog come back on a high and so did owner,,,,to me thats a good result,,,,,, feild marshall,,, bye the time ern was 17 month he add 708,,,all the trips out are on this site,,,,and ended his life on 2half years later with 2,467, rabbits and other gear,,,,,, and snipe was the same tomo,s dog was about 10 half month old fuji of here loftis jack 68,,,, about the same age, and all there dogs are still doing good,,, infact very good,,,

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 2

if the dog was on form on the night and catching well why not give it that many runs i know i would have :yes:

Cheers Pip. I trust Jim. He knows the game and was starting pups on the lamp before I was born. I could of taken her out once a fortnight local messing about getting her one or two runs. Could of done more harm. Last night she learnt so much and I know that if Jim thought she wasn't ready or was struggling then we would of been in the car and home. Regardless of how far we had travelled.

If we had stopped after 5 runs it would be a different story today. Me saying she barely retrieves and hunts up after missing. But as it was at the end of the night I'm over the moon.

• Like 1

if the dog was on form on the night and catching well why not give it that many runs i know i would have :yes:

Cheers Pip. I trust Jim. He knows the game and was starting pups on the lamp before I was born. I could of taken her out once a fortnight local messing about getting her one or two runs. Could of done more harm. Last night she learnt so much and I know that if Jim thought she wasn't ready or was struggling then we would of been in the car and home. Regardless of how far we had travelled.

If we had stopped after 5 runs it would be a different story today. Me saying she barely retrieves and hunts up after missing. But as it was at the end of the night I'm over the moon.

thats its gaz iv been on your land and theirs not many bunnies and its a golf course so to me you would only frustrate the pup,in my eyes you done the right thing tjones has put you on a spot thats guaranteed to boost your dogs confidence and it looks lik its worked :thumbs:

thats its gaz iv been on your land and theirs not many bunnies and its a golf course so to me you would only frustrate the pup,in my eyes you done the right thing tjones has put you on a spot thats guaranteed to boost your dogs confidence and it looks lik its worked :thumbs:

Yeh that's it mate. I've got another spot or 2 locally since you came. More arable land. But rabbit numbers are the same as you saw. Few here and there. My old bitch is lucky to get 2 out of 5.

I can see no harm in giving pups of 11 months a run on green rabbits at this time of year it furthers there education, is it not like giving a pup a dropper or two when the pup is 11 months old in november to give the dog a bit of fur in its mouth. Education is education no matter what time of year it may be,,,atb

• Like 1

:hmm:Personaly,...I think it up to the man who owns the dog,.. to call the shots... :yes:

Looking back through my diaries of the 1970s/1980s ,..we were running scores of rabbits,..often with real young lurchers,.and my comments on the nights activities and on each dogs performance,.would make you shudder.... :blink: We were super critical and required and expected, far more from our dogs back then and I lamped them on rabbits at an incredibly early age....and they were none the worse for it...

If a young lurcher is physically up on his toes and is capable,...and the rabbits are there in abundance,..and catchable,.as opposed to simply being,.chaseable,...then I would always fill me boots...

It is a great feeling driving homeward,... knowing the score.... :thumbs:

Mind you, it can sometimes be a long sad journey home,..especially if things have not gone to plan,...but the lurcher game is a hard one and you have to take a chance ...

I've tried every method of starting young hunting dogs,...and if you plan ahead,..it ain't as risky as folk think. ..

Waiting two more months, four more months,.etc, etc,...is often a fruitless exercise...and the best dogs that I have ever seen,...all went...straight to their game,...It is a risk, I do know that,...but at least you know the score.

Facts are, I always felt the types who were a bit suspect and iffy,..were possibly destined to fail anyway. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 7