Bogof ! Not Any More !

A House of Lords committee has urged supermarkets to end BOGOF deals (buy one, get one free), to cut the "morally repugnant" amount of food thrown away in the UK.

It's estimated that shops and consumers throw away 15 million tonnes of food every year, costing each family around £60 per month, the equivalent of 24 meals ! 60% of household food waste is perfectly edible !!

Just to illustrate this further, consider that every single day, in the UK alone, we throw away 24 million slices of bread, 5.8 million potatoes and 5.9 million glasses of milk. There has been almost no progress in reducing meat waste - we throw away an amount equivalent to 86 million chickens.

And, of course, not only is the food wasted, but so are the resources, labour and energy that went into producing it in the first place.

Given the present and future pressures on food production and consumption, the industrialised (and emerging) economies need a more coherent and 'joined-up' approach to this problem. Supermarkets can cancel contracts at the last minute, leaving a farmer with fields full of produce and no buyer, tonnes of food are thrown away by virtue of a random date on a label, food itself has become a throw-away commodity, like so many other things.

Do you take steps to help tackle this problem? Does the issue even concern you?

(Step down from soap-box, breathe aaaaaand relax.......!)

(

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fukc all gets wasted in my house ... If we don't eat it the dogs ferrets chickens ducks or pigs eat it ... Oh and I do like to feed the red kites on the field opposite my house ... The keeper loves th

I worked at Asda to pay my way through college, and the amount that got chucked (and still does) is awful. The worst was over Christmas, when the shop used to be shut Christmas day & Boxing day. A

Of course nothing gets wasted in your household poor Cheeks struggles to feed everyone else ya walking dustbin :laugh:

Fukc all gets wasted in my house ... If we don't eat it the dogs ferrets chickens ducks or pigs eat it ... Oh and I do like to feed the red kites on the field opposite my house ... The keeper loves that :boogy: ..........

• Like 8

Those bogof offers at the supermarket are a bloody con half the time anyway.. Makes me angry the way they try conning you out of more of your money after you've graced their stores with your custom.

Yes this issue is of great concern to me, as I farm full time for a living,selling direct to the supermarkets without any contract ! We don't have any waste as we keep a few pigs for ourselves but this is not possible for most people. This subject is a BIG one & I really think it starts at HOME & the way we see food ! We in the western world have more now on our plates than ever before & at a very cheap price but we still have food poverty & bin half of it !! I think about this a great deal as it's my living but it feels like most people NEVER think about it ! I could go on for ever but I have to go & look at the livestock ! Without Farmers we would have no food,we need to value food again.

• Like 2

I worked at Asda to pay my way through college, and the amount that got chucked (and still does) is awful. The worst was over Christmas, when the shop used to be shut Christmas day & Boxing day. Anything that went out of date on Boxing day had to be chucked on Christmas eve, even though it was still fine.

I spoke with the local homeless shelter about coming to collect what would be binned anyway so they could give folks a decent Christmas dinner, but when I spoke to the bosses they went mental & told me I'd be sacked and done for theft. I rang up head office & was told the same; put £3,000 of perfectly edible food in the compactor or lose your job & get nicked too. It still gets me fuming 10yrs down the line.

• Like 5

Im the same, nothing wasted here. I even love the giblets, Parson's Nose and make broth from bones :D In fact I prefer giblets and bits other folk give to dogs, to the white breast meat :blink::laugh:

Coming from the house of Lords who are probably the most guilty party for food/banquet waste. Fcukin double eyed morons. How much quality food gets chucked from their upscale functions eh?? Just to add...nowt gets wasted here :thumbs:

• Like 3

Coming from the house of Lords who are probably the most guilty party for food/banquet waste. Fcukin double eyed morons. How much quality food gets chucked from their upscale functions eh?? Just to add...nowt gets wasted here :thumbs:

Of course nothing gets wasted in your household poor Cheeks struggles to feed everyone else ya walking dustbin :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 4

is anyone on here old enough to remember when you could feed pigs on swill? i cant but my dad used to. the local pig farms used to have swill rounds and pick up from bakeries, fish and chip shops and pubs all sorts of places at least the waste food was going to some good

• Like 3

Considering the restaurants & bars in the House of Commons are subsidised by the taxpayer at £6 million a year so MPs and Lords get cheap food & drink, I doubt they give a toss.

• Like 2

I agree wasting anything is bad, but surely what we do with our hard earned (taxed) money is or business. It's not down to a an out of touch bunch of fuddy-duddies to decide for me.

:thumbs: ------------------------