Your Thought Guys On The Ammo 17Hmr

i came across this interesting read.

17hmr.png?&w=150 .17HMR Review by Martin Clarkin

Tuesday, July 12th, 2011

The .17HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire) is by far the hottest rimfire round on the market today. Although many of you out there are loyal .22lr shooters where bunny’s , crows and various other vermin species are concerned, I have to say I once was too until I saw the potential of this lightning fast round. We all know the dangers of shooting be it shotgun or rifle , but especially shooting a rifle which has the potential of continuing through the countryside at tremendous speed long after you have taken the shot.

One advantage that the .17HMR has over the .22 rimfire calibres is its sensitivity to the elements. This is not ideal in all situations I agree , but where ricochets are concerned this is a great round. If the bullet from the .17HMR so much as hit’s a blade of grass while on the way to a target it will expand and basically turn to dust in mid air. This is due to the fact that the bullet is so light at a mere 17g and the fact that its travelling between 2,550 and 2,650 feet per second. Compared to the .22lr with a standard weight of 38g and travelling at roughly half the speed of the .17HMR, it has the potential to pass straight through the target and continue on half a mile or more in a different direction.

So at the end of the day I feel a lot safer shooting with the .17HMR because I know once it hits something its not going anywhere else, but please do not think this means you can ease up on safety and take riskier shots.

Many of you out there might have never heard of this calibre before and ask “How common is it “ “How expensive is it compared to the .22lr and .22WMR”

Right ok , we all know unless you want to shoot an air rifle, you wont find anything cheaper than the .22lr to shoot . Just last week I bought a bulk box of 525 .22lr rounds for only €29. I have yet to find a gun shop that doesn’t stock at least one brand of .17HMR ammunition so its getting more and more common as shooters discover it.
Depending on your local firearms dealer and the maker of the ammunition you can expect to pay between €14 and €20 for a box of 50 .17HMR rounds. I find Hornady the cheapest but saying that I only shoot them because they give me the tightest grouping in my gun and seeing as every gun is different , Hornady mightn’t suit yours even if it’s the same make and model as mine. I have seen .22WMR rounds for as little as €11 and as much as €28 for 50 so the .17HMR settles nicely between the two price wise.

For a bullet of only 4.4mm wide and 17g weight it has surprising stopping power which not a lot of people realise. Just because the bullet is so small and light does not mean it is to be under estimated . It is perfectly capable of taking a fox out to 200 yards , my personal furthest shot at a fox was 170 paces.
What about accuracy and energy?
Accuracy is vital , some say that a gun is only as accurate as the man behind the stock! This is very true in most cases. But in this case, the .17HMR is known for its sub inch accuracy at 100yds. I have my rifle firing 1.5inches high at 100 yards which gives me flat shooting (give or take an inch) out to 150 yards, after that the bullet starts to drop. At 200 yards if I hold the crosshairs on a fox’s shoulder , it will give a perfect shot on the vital organs and therefore dropping the fox dead.

On rabbits I find it absolutely devastating and if you want the meat for consumption its important you get a clean head shot otherwise the meat will be totally useless. As I mentioned earlier if the bullet so much as touches a blade of grass on the way to the target it disintegrates, this is why the .17 calibre is favoured by serious vermin shooters. I have read some peoples accounts of rabbit headshots out to 190 or 220 yards with the .17HMR , not impossible but not likely either. I’m not calling anyone a liar but if you want to shoot out past 200 yards then forget the rimfire and buy a centre fire rifle. The figures for energy firing a 17g polymer tip bullet are as follows…

Muzzle Energy: 245 ft.lbs Trajectory if zeroed at 100 yards:
50 yards: +0.1
At 50 Yards: 185 ft.lbs 100 yards: 0
At 100 yards: 136 ft.lbs 150 yards: -2.6”
At 150 yards: 100 ft.lbs 200 yards: -8.5”
At 200 yards: 75 ft.lbs 

A free floating barrel also adds to the accuracy factor of this rifle. It does not touch off the stock at any point, this ensures there are no pressure points to affect the harmonics of the barrel and guarantees consistent accuracy .

Availability and range of .17HMR rifles for sale.
I personally own a CZ 452 rifle in this calibre but CZ have a few models out there that are available in .17HMR. One I would look out for is the new 455 model with thumbhole stock and heavy varmint barrel. It retails between €500 and €530 and has a 5 round detachable magazine. Other gun manufacturers such as Marlin, Savage and Ruger have some .17HMR models on the shelves of Irish gun shops but they are not as common here as they are in the U.S.A.
I would advise anyone to go for a CZ rifle, they have an outstanding reputation, great price and last a lifetime. I can not give a price for a second hand rifle as I have not found any for sale. This is no surprise to me because anyone who has bought one hasn’t regretted it and therefore there are hardly any second hand .17HMR rifles for sale. If I had to take a guess , a CZ for example would probably be picked up for about €350 if in mint condition. I bought mine new for €525 back in 2007 but since then they have dropped in price a bit due to the fact they are getting popular. There are no open sights on the CZ 452 for the .17HMR which is not a bad thing because its firing too far to be using open sights. At first I had a Hawke Nighteye 3-9 x 50 scope on there which did the job perfectly. After a while I wanted something that allowed me to shoot out a bit further so I invested in a different more powerful scope.

So, how does it shoot?
The short answer is .. Like a dream ! Recoil is almost non existent and you can see the impact of your shot through the scope. The only thing that’s surprising is the muzzle blast. Its almost as loud as a shotgun but thankfully almost all rifles on the market today are screw cut for silencers. Without the silencer on a .17HMR you really wont get any good shooting done obviously because of noise everything within half a mile will be gone after the first shot ! I purchased a JLS Stalker silencer which is very effective. It set me back €170 but it was worth every penny because now all you can hear is a sonic crack from the bullet which is unpreventable as there is no subsonic ammo available. Whatever you do , do not cheap out on the silencer… after all you get what you pay for. There are some silencers out there for €60 but don’t waste your time and money. As I have said about accuracy it shoots sub inch at 100 yards. I can get 5 shots touching each other on paper at that distance just make sure you have a clear line of fire to the target because yet again as I have said a single blade of grass will disintegrate the bullet.

Another thing to watch out for is how wind sensitive the bullet is. It can drift to the left or right easy enough if there is a decent amount of wind especially if your shooting past 100 yards. With a 10mph crosswind you can expect the bullet to drift 3 inches at 100 yards. This would put a lot of people off shooting in windy conditions, it shouldn’t as all you have to do is favour one side or the other (depending on wind direction). Say if you have the crosshairs resting on a rabbits head at 70 yards or more and there is a 10mph wind blowing left to right, just hold the crosshairs slightly to the left and you’re sorted. All it takes is practice and getting familiar with the calibre and how the bullet performs…. After all isn’t that half the fun?

The bipod I have is a Shooters Ridge, It has adjustable spring loaded legs that are 6” when retracted and 13” when extended. You can also adjust them to any length between that. I would highly recommend this bipod as it also pivots which is great when your trying to get comfortable when in the prone position.

I paid €130 for mine, to be honest it is expensive and I may have found a cheaper one if I had shopped around. Saying that it is incredibly well built and does everything I want it to do. I cant ever see myself having to buy another one.

I would recommend investing in a good silencer. Mine is a “JLS Stalker” suited for calibres .17 up to .223
It performs flawlessly and not many people know that a silencer can actually tighten up your grouping…but that’s another days discussion. I paid €170 for this and although yes it is pricy and there are a lot of cheaper ones out there, you do get what you pay for.

At 278mm long & 450gm in weight, it utilises a more conventional one -piece baffle array, but proves very affective. The only downside is that the 278mm is added to the muzzle, although a shorter version is available.

Overall I would highly recommend this calibre of rifle if you are a vermin shooter. It is very effective at medium to long range, offers great power and accuracy and is devastating on all vermin species. The only thing I don’t like is the range of ammunition available.

There is no subsonic ammo which is to be expected as it is a magnum cartridge, but there are currently only two bullet weights available. The 17g polymer tip and the heavier 20g jacketed hollow points. There is an even lighter 15.5g polymer tip on the market but as far as I know it has yet to reach the Irish market. The 20g JHP actually gives slightly more power compared to the 17g PT but they do travel slightly slower at approximately 2350 fps . Saying that I have no problem with the selection of ammunition out there because anything I am shooting at gets dispatched instantly with the 17g’s. If vermin control is what you do well then you cant go wrong with the .17HMR .

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Blowing eye sockets apart isn't the way to stop them. If you must put one in their head try here............   He stood there looking at me, that little dark spot on the top of his nose between

I struggle to see how anyone can have the balls to come on a public shooting forum and admit such incompetence.  You were either aiming in the wrong place or outside of the rifles comfort zone.  

The hmr can and will kill a fox humanely, sometimes, but it is not the ideal go to fox shooting round, the problem I think stems from, as said earlier the man who has been used to airguns, who gets h

Posted Images

I just sold mine as I found the bullets expensive and couldn't consistently get what I wanted I will stick to the 22 rimfire,and just bought a 22 hornet ,the guy seem's to know his stuff, but the debate between 17hmr and 22 rimfire suitability and cost effectiveness, has gone on for a long time,

I just sold mine as I found the bullets expensive and couldn't consistently get what I wanted I will stick to the 22 rimfire,and just bought a 22 hornet ,the guy seem's to know his stuff, but the debate between 17hmr and 22 rimfire suitability and cost effectiveness, has gone on for a long time,

had 2 sold both, 22lr for me as well, never been without one and probably never will be

I'm sorry, I got this far and realised the author hasn't a clue what he's talking about

....where ricochets are concerned this is a great round. If the bullet from the .17HMR so much as hit’s a blade of grass while on the way to a target it will expand and basically turn to dust in mid air.

The 17 ricochets, don't you dissbelieve it! Quite frankly that's a dangerous bit of information to push.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I got this far and realised the author hasn't a clue what he's talking about

....where ricochets are concerned this is a great round. If the bullet from the .17HMR so much as hit’s a blade of grass while on the way to a target it will expand and basically turn to dust in mid air.

The 17 ricochets, don't you dissbelieve it! Quite frankly that's a dangerous bit of information to push.

they can and do ricochet. i can say that will experience. not just theory :yes:

Anybody that has shot a 17 can do mate. As for a blade of grass turning the 17gn bullet to dust....... :laugh:

I like the 17hmr, I've only had one a couple weeks and it really suits me. Compared to the 22s I've used before for what I want it's head and shoulders superior.

But it's a fact they're no safer! "No ricochets" is a really dangerous bit of propaganda to push to the public!

Edited by Born Hunter

....where ricochets are concerned this is a great round. If the bullet from the .17HMR so much as hits a blade of grass while on the way to a target it will expand and basically turn to dust in mid air.

Anybody that has shot a 17 can do mate. As for a blade of grass turning the 17gn bullet to dust....... :laugh:

I like the 17hmr, I've only had one a couple weeks and it really suits me. Compared to the 22s I've used before for what I want it's head and shoulders superior.

But it's a fact they're no safer! "No ricochets" is a really dangerous bit of propaganda to push to the public!

Love my 1517 HMR and agree that was a poor statement to make. Nailed 8 rabbits with mine last night out to 140 yards

and total bollocks :laugh:

Love my 1517 HMR and agree that was a poor statement to make. Nailed 8 rabbits with mine last night out to 140 yards

I agree, took my 455 out on tuesday eveing for a quick mooch to get a brace I had promised a mate. Chinned two at what felt SILLY FAR, but realistically was comfortable hmr range of around 120m. It's a fun little round for daytime rabbiting and vermin.

I agree, took my 455 out on tuesday eveing for a quick mooch to get a brace I had promised a mate. Chinned two at what felt SILLY FAR, but realistically was comfortable hmr range of around 120m. It's a fun little round for daytime rabbiting and vermin.

I understand why some people prefer the .22lr and I'll get one myself some time soon but at night time, when range finding is difficult the HMR comes into it's own :)

.17HMR is a great round in certain situations. I like it for longer range rabbits and for shooting crows and magpies at distance. Bullet wise I use Hornady 17g ballistic tips which are very accurate in my gun.

Last year I used about 3,500 rimfire rounds, about 600 where .17HMR the rest .22LR. The .22LR with subsonic ammo is very quiet and this is where is scores over the .17HMR. One is not better than the other they are both great but very different.

Is that really true though?

Would it not be more accurate to say that it's less prone to richochets?

My experience of .22 RF is it's a great round for noise but it does ricochet badly if the circumstances aren't right and it does have a tendancy to pass through. I don't have direct experience of .17HMR but from what I've been told it does fragmen in the target, making it safer in that regard.

Whatever, the truth though, I think we can all agree that no round is ever safe. Safety comes from the shooter ensuring it's backstopped.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

Is that really true though?

Would it not be more accurate to say that it's less prone to richochets?

Not really no, the 17 ricochets just as much as 22. But others with more experience can comment better on that. You can hear the slug zipping off with that characteristic long "piiiioooooowwwwwwwww". And at just about any distance the 17 is carry more kinetic energy than a 22 so it's a little concerning! If the bullet had indeed fragmented I wouldn't expect the long ricochet sound you get. Ground type has a bearing on the risk of ricochet as it does with any projectile. To say a blade of grass will turn it to dust is just utter bollocks and dangerous to let people shoot these hmr rounds with that belief.

• Like 1

Crap, trendy must have calibre, .22rf will be around long after the .17hmr has gone the way of the .17 mach 2, the new .17wmr round will, I expect sound the death nell for the hmr, and there will be an abundance of them on guntrader ect, ahh like there is already.

Had a17hmr when they came out, NO USE AT ALL expensive ammo, wouldn't kill a Fox with one shot.

On the plus, it did do what it said on the tin, 100-150yds+ accuracy, but filled Rabbits with copper shards.

Anyway I can see were someone who had a 12ft/lb airgun before would find a '17 fantastic, but not for me!!

My 22.250 does all of the above, reloaded ammo is the same price, and no prisoners taken in the Fox

Dept.

Maybe the 17 Hornet has potential, but I won't be tempted.

AndyF

• Like 1