Your Thought Guys On The Ammo 17Hmr

Aiming in the wrong place deker? I think not, and I wondered when that picture would show up again!

Was told to go for head shot which I did to start with untill I had one which ran about 25 yards with the top of eye socket blown out, but it still ran 25 yards! It was dead fair enough, but I would still rather drop it on the spot,

Before I sold it I then went for the engine room shot, but again still had the odd runner, maybe 1 in 10, which is why I sold it and got a rifle for the job, seriously deker how many times are you going to put that picture up? Every time a thread starts about hmr its almost a given you will see it,

And can you honestly say you have never had a runner with that hmr?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Blowing eye sockets apart isn't the way to stop them. If you must put one in their head try here............   He stood there looking at me, that little dark spot on the top of his nose between

I struggle to see how anyone can have the balls to come on a public shooting forum and admit such incompetence.  You were either aiming in the wrong place or outside of the rifles comfort zone.  

The hmr can and will kill a fox humanely, sometimes, but it is not the ideal go to fox shooting round, the problem I think stems from, as said earlier the man who has been used to airguns, who gets h

Posted Images

Aiming in the wrong place deker? I think not, and I wondered when that picture would show up again!

Was told to go for head shot which I did to start with untill I had one which ran about 25 yards with the top of eye socket blown out, but it still ran 25 yards! It was dead fair enough, but I would still rather drop it on the spot,

Before I sold it I then went for the engine room shot, but again still had the odd runner, maybe 1 in 10, which is why I sold it and got a rifle for the job, seriously deker how many times are you going to put that picture up? Every time a thread starts about hmr its almost a given you will see it,

And can you honestly say you have never had a runner with that hmr?

Honestly, yes! and I wasn't the one who wrote I had way too many runners with a HMR anyway! Its about knowing your gun, selecting the right gun for the job and only pulling the trigger if you are confident.

If you are familiar with the pic it seems a bit odd you should make the post you did then, if you knew fully well other people are perfectly capable of droping the fox with a HMR but apparently you are not!

How about another then.....

post-10759-0-28727900-1394658318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Blowing eye sockets apart isn't the way to stop them. If you must put one in their head try here............

post-10759-0-10686200-1394658822_thumb.jpg

He stood there looking at me, that little dark spot on the top of his nose between his eyes, that's where the HMR V-Max went in and turned his brain to pulp, he didn't walk off anywhere!

Like I said...... You were either aiming in the wrong place or outside of the rifles comfort zone.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3

21lb and 20lb fox, both with .22lr and subs, the 21lb was 100 yards exactly!

post-10759-0-04160400-1394659844_thumb.jpgpost-10759-0-32103900-1394659938.jpg

No, I don't get "way too many runners" with any rifle!

I do a lot of Fox work, indeed my first pest control company was Fox Control, which is now part of my larger pest control company.

I use the right gun for the job, sometimes that may be a little rimfire and sometimes a fairly hefty centrefire, every now and again a shotgun, whatever, I am not paid to miss.

Edited by Deker

attachicon.gifDsc01405abc.jpgattachicon.gifFox2381cropa_resize.jpg

I do a lot of Fox work, indeed my first pest control company was Fox Control, which is now part of my larger pest control company.

I use the right gun for the job, sometimes that may be a little rimfire and sometimes a fairly hefty centrefire, every now and again a shotgun, whatever, I am not paid to miss.

100yd shot on fox with a .22 ??? irresponsible shooting imo ……no doubt you will come back with some statement of how " if you did not feel confident you would not have taken the shot" don't matter how you try to gloss it over ………..IRRESPONSIBLE…… if it was a suitable rd for foxes at that range my FEO would put fox on my .22 rimfire …..he won't i wonder why ??? …….it don't take much working out why he won't

100yd shot on fox with a .22 ??? irresponsible shooting imo ……no doubt you will come back with some statement of how " if you did not feel confident you would not have taken the shot" don't matter how you try to gloss it over ………..IRRESPONSIBLE…… if it was a suitable rd for foxes at that range my FEO would put fox on my .22 rimfire …..he won't i wonder why ??? …….it don't take much working out why he won't

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think the dead fox showed it worked, that means either you and/or your FEO know jack, I also regularly use a .22lr at 200 yards, I know what it can do, and what I can do, your FEO obviously knows what you can't do!

Lots of people have fox or AOLQ as a rimfire condition, don't get too upset because you don't, get some experience and you may! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I think the dead fox showed it worked, I also regularly use a .22lr at 200 yards, I know what it can do, and what I can do, your FEO obviously knows what you can't

never said it would not work ………said it was irresponsible ……..and imo ……i think it is ………and as for your other comment…….pathetic …..you stated in an earlier comment ……..right tool for the right job……oops ……..100yds or even better still 200yds you say ………wish i was your FEO lol you would be back to catapults lol

Assuming is bad, yes, I regularly shoot .22lr at paper at 100 and 200 with lots of different ammo, so I know, and why do lots of people have .22lr conditioned for fox?

Obviously you don't have a lot of fox experience, they are quite easy to stop, just deliver it to the right place and they fall down, whatever your region and you think, the fox is dead, it took one shot with a .22lr sub and it was a decent size fox, argue as much as you like about it being irresponsible, its dead, it worked, and if the same situation developed again I would do the same and end up with another dead fox!

Don't judge everyone by your standards, shoot within your capabilities.

Without writing another chapter of War & Peace it is sometimes difficult for people to grasp posts.

I am not advocating the .22lr as a daily 100 yard fox tool, this was an illustration to those who struggle to stop them with HMR. Generally if I was expecting them there, or there abouts, I would use the HMR or WMR, if they pushed out much further than 150 yards probably the .223 and so on.

Mine is zeroed at 60 yards, it has a 4" drop at 100 yards, so on the still clear (daylight) evening the fox presented, and was ranged, I knew where to aim, I was prone on the bipod, squeaked him, he stopped and the rest is history.

Nothing irresponsible at all, a well placed, considered, experienced shot (circa 71ft lb at 100 yards, easily enough to stop a fox), which worked, if it had been foggy, blowing a gale, raining, dark, etc then it would possibly have been irresponsible, but it wasn't.

I am not interested in p****** contests, I shoot what I am very confident I can stop in the field.

Plenty of people stop quarry further than 100 yards with a .22lr, that's up to them.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

well i was not judging my standards lol……i was judging your calibre at 100yds for a fox …….my standards are good enough and had plenty of experience shooting fox ………and for the record i don't know of anybody around this area who a certificate with fox on for a .22 ………heard of other forces who won't condition 17hmr for fox …………and yes i am 100% confident of hitting a fox in the head at 100yds ……..but if i am being totally honest ……..i would not do it with a .22 sub ………….thats just me ……..but if your happy to do so good luck ;)

well i was not judging my standards lol……i was judging your calibre at 100yds for a fox …….my standards are good enough and had plenty of experience shooting fox ………and for the record i don't know of anybody around this area who a certificate with fox on for a .22 ………heard of other forces who won't condition 17hmr for fox …………and yes i am 100% confident of hitting a fox in the head at 100yds ……..but if i am being totally honest ……..i would not do it with a .22 sub ………….thats just me ……..but if your happy to do so good luck ;)

So what, just because you don't know anyone your way, or even if a region will not condition a .22lr (or HMR) for fox (many actually condition the .22lr for AOLQ anyway, this is an ACPO recommendation now) so what? There are plenty of people on this site with Fox or AOLQ against their rimfires, are you suggesting their regions all have it wrong, and because you don't know anyone yours are right? .22lr stops foxes my way, and wherever I have tried them, perhaps your region needs educating.

The new Home Office guide has actually acknowledged the existence of the HMR and seems perfectly happy for that to be used for fox now, again, so what.

If you are not confident don't use it, have I ever said you should?! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker