Ferrets Refusing To Come Out?

RossR

Jill ferrets finished working a warren and refusing to come out, they come to the burrow entrance and then when you go to pick them up they back in. getting really frustrating and having to use a rabbit to get them out.

Wasting too much time on a days ferreting just trying to get them out the warren, any ideas how to sort it?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as....kept 2 jills and a hob back from a ltter 3 yrs ago,the jills come out no problem,the hob is a pain in the arse Im no expert and this is aimed at no one in particular,but most skulkers Ive

It may well be down to incorrect rough handling and not enough handling as a youngster..

I have had this problem before and it can be cured, how I got over the problem is spending time in the garden with them putting them in tubes and letting them run through but dont jump at them straigh

They are what you call ,,,,,,,,sulkers,,,,,,,,,,Sulking at the edge of burrow ,,,,its in the breeding ,some guys just breed off any old ferret If a ferret has any faults ,just like the one you have ,don't put her in kit .I had a ferret with the same problem myself ........yes it would spoil the day out I gave her away as a pet to a young lad ?All I can say is buy another ferret from good breeder with good stock leave that Sulker at home.Trial and error ,,,all part of the game.....Happy Hunting

Jill ferrets finished working a warren and refusing to come out, they come to the burrow entrance and then when you go to pick them up they back in. getting really frustrating and having to use a rabbit to get them out.

Wasting too much time on a days ferreting just trying to get them out the warren, any ideas how to sort it?

Thanks in advance

I have had this problem before and it can be cured, how I got over the problem is spending time in the garden with them putting them in tubes and letting them run through but dont jump at them straight away give them time to come out a pick them up steadily don't just pull them up, do this several times a day also call them so they know it's you and they will get better with it they need to trust you. Once you have done this several times then they will let you pick them straight from the hole just call before you pick them up as not to startle them.

This is the method I used and it worked best to do from kits though.

Atb

• Like 3

I thought me jill was playing up too. but when I find she does this she's got a rabbit in a stop end and cant shift it, so she comes to the entrance hole then quickly back down (when I reach for her).

took me a while to cop this on, but the rabbit sometimes bolts when she leaves or I get a mark on the locator for a dig when she returns. try it next time your out, :thumbs: worked for me.

• Like 1

They are what you call ,,,,,,,,sulkers,,,,,,,,,,Sulking at the edge of burrow ,,,,its in the breeding ,some guys just breed off any old ferret If a ferret has any faults ,just like the one you have ,don't put her in kit .I had a ferret with the same problem myself ........yes it would spoil the day out I gave her away as a pet to a young lad ?All I can say is buy another ferret from good breeder with good stock leave that Sulker at home.Trial and error ,,,all part of the game.....Happy Hunting

well you learn something new every day lol ive a ferret of one of my jill which is a cracking worker comes out the burrow no bother its kit wont as you call it a sulker lol how does that work if its in the breeding ?

• Like 1