Long Before The Ban, Mobile Phones, Internet, Saluki Crosses, Matches, And Comps, Clubs,

Getting buses LOL Feck we just walked, Houghton Regis to a good chalk quarry/nature reserve at Sharpenhoe about 8 miles, ferret/ wander through the pits at Charlton/Sundon on the way. Mid day spit in your hand to give the ferret a drink then eat your sarnies, drink either cold or boiling tea from the flask, never the right temp lol then walk home. Was lucky to get a couple of bunnies, fecking mad but loved it summer or winter.

Yea that sounds about right walked miles out all day. Get home starving and dying of thirst and polish off two plates of grans stew in record time.

Drank water out of a cattle trough one day was so thirsty not the best idea was sick as a dog for few days :laugh:

• Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

these hare dogs were running the lincolnshire fens, some old pics from around 1977 1978, that i just dug out, seems a long time ago now, but i hadn't heard of matches, competitions, or £££££££money£££

This pic from the 70s cocker my grandad with two bitches he had. He passed away now but loved the game, they used to run them hard. He had a good deerhound greyhound lurcher,one day they went out his

My first Lurcher was bred from Cotton King, to a good hill collie bitch, 1958, I was 14 years old, cotton king won the waterloo cup, he was trained by Harvey Wright, who was a neighbour of my Granni

Posted Images

We used to walk along a disused railway line from market harborough to kelmarsh and arthingworth spend the day coursing long ears and walk back! Many a time I can remember slinging the dogs over my shoulder because they were so tired! It used to kill me but they'd done there bit it was only fair!

great days then,lot of great runs an no crap,great dog men in them days not like some of these lads to day ,we were all in it for the sport an the crack,pity different days now, :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yeh TK out to Roughfort or Ancalon for a spin an a bit of crack :thumbs:

great times then nibs then,must of been 40 years ago,i rem being out with cruncher an millsy one day we got 12 rabbits an a hare,it was a great day for us then ,both men no longer with us now,great topic cocker atb.

• Like 1

Good thread enjoyed reading some of the stories i remember walking miles and miles on a weekend with a ferret in a cloth money bag having to turn them inside out and wipe them on the grass when they had a shit in them :laugh: i would walk all day with terriers and a whippety type dog no nets or a shovel putting my ferret into every empty burrow on the pit railway lines and never getting jack shit i remember 1 day i actualy bolted a bunny after i had been out for 5 or 6 hours and a dog actualy caught it i shit you not i ran all the way home showing the bunny off as i ran through my village to anybody that would look at it :laugh: i remember running my whippety thing on hares even my terriers none of them ever got anywhere near and i think i overtook my dogs running after the hares,and then i remember when shit got really good when i got in tow with a real old boy who was in the same pigeon club as my old man and i started tagging along with him ferreting he wore tweed trousers and a suit jacket for ferreting with string to tie his trousers up instead of a belt on warmer days he wore no shirt just the jacket and trousers :laugh: i remember walking miles round the back of rufford park and the golf course there my first taste or permission he would try to take the rabbits of me but i would refuse and insisted on carrying them proud as punch i used to jack and eventualy let him put them on top of hedges i had never seen so much game caught in my life great days great memorys :yes:

• Like 6

fen men..fen tigers...lol....

cocker..did you know john d from moulton,the,dogdyke site.rum old boys...Cyril from hainton...king of the dog dealers...ex horse breaker..lol..

had some laughs with him...crafty old fecker old Cyril.....

great memories....

What a great thread i love hearing about the old days! What a change it is to now. Im a lot younger and got my first lurcher in 92 but even then was a far cry from the shit we put up with today. My great granda loved his hunting and i must have his blood. I was never allowed a dog but i was a little shit when i was a kid had the police at the door everynight so my mam made a deal with me that if i stop the police coming i can have a dog, so i did. I was so excited that i bought the first dog i could find. It was a collie grehound i didnt even know what a lurcher was. This dog was my life. Slept on my bed and went everywhere with me. I started to get into hunting with him when he was old enough and i was about 12. He was a cracking dog we went threw thick and thin together we would be out walking fields from dusk till down.. Unfortunately he past away around a year ago and it broke my heart! Nowadays everyone near me has a lurcher passing them from pillar to post and i have to travel all over the country. I just wish i was around in the 70's. Sorry for rambling on.

• Like 6

there,s still some good lad,s out there who bred decent stuff an gift them to there friend,s and any left go to coursing home,s. i have,nt bought a dog for as long as i can remember but been gifted some half decent pup,s to rear on the way it should be. :thumbs: