Can We Change The Way We Trap

I have been working on a few ideas I have for trapping up on a shooting estate I go on, The keeper said something that got me thinking a bit.

And it goes a bit like this most traps are placed in areas were vermin are last seen evidence of activity, places were they may cross or on runs ect ect.

The most common ides to effective trapping comes down to the right Bait and the reliability of the trap and the waiting game.

I was thinking that in most cases trap placement is more pot luck and more waiting, It got me thinking that the smell of bait will only travel so far and your intended pray could be the other side of a wall or hedge and never come into contact with it.

The prey has more than one sense why dont we use it for example, when shooters go out to shoot a fox they sit and call drawing there prey into a area to shoot it, they dont wave bait about.

Now im not saying trapping doesnt need bait im saying why not call the prey into the area were the trap is set.

And yes before someone says what about a live decoy, say your trapping a fox and you have a trap with a chicken in it yes it may makes noise, but it needs tending too leaving the dreaded human sent lol, and in modern times is it ethical also when your out shooting do you call foxes in with the sound of a chicken clucking no a rabbit in distress that seems to give a urgency to the call.

Also it doesnt have to be a set call just something that your intended catch will come to investigate.

Aso with the digital age we live in ive read about traps that have methods of alerting you when they have been sprung which I think would be very useful, also traps that allow you to look inside via a media device, to see what you caught and how its doing, to me though this is a bit pointless however

if you took it one step further and put a non target release door and a way of opening it remotely it could save you a lot of hassle from the owner of tiddles lol

I think modern methods of manufacture and materials and design could help in the making of traps seem more humane to some people and I feel yes there would be added expense but would it be worth it.

Forget the scifi stuff for now what do you recon to the call trap.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2.8; Your own avatar actually reminds me of what's dinging on the back of my mind, as I read all this.   While the average predators hearing is pretty acute, their sense of smell is astronomical.  

I think that it would not take long for a call trap to draw in a two legged fox, as for trap placement being "POT LUCK " that might be true for you but its not for the men or women who have to catc

If trap placement was pot luck then I would be skint lol .... The smell of the bait would not pass through a hedge .. What is this hedge made of lead ... I think you are trying to over complicate what

I have been working on a few ideas I have for trapping up on a shooting estate I go on, The keeper said something that got me thinking a bit.

And it goes a bit like this most traps are placed in areas were vermin are last seen evidence of activity, places were they may cross or on runs ect ect.

The most common ides to effective trapping comes down to the right Bait and the reliability of the trap and the waiting game.

I was thinking that in most cases trap placement is more pot luck and more waiting, It got me thinking that the smell of bait will only travel so far and your intended pray could be the other side of a wall or hedge and never come into contact with it.

The prey has more than one sense why dont we use it for example, when shooters go out to shoot a fox they sit and call drawing there prey into a area to shoot it, they dont wave bait about.

Now im not saying trapping doesnt need bait im saying why not call the prey into the area were the trap is set.

And yes before someone says what about a live decoy, say your trapping a fox and you have a trap with a chicken in it yes it may makes noise, but it needs tending too leaving the dreaded human sent lol, and in modern times is it ethical also when your out shooting do you call foxes in with the sound of a chicken clucking no a rabbit in distress that seems to give a urgency to the call.

Also it doesnt have to be a set call just something that your intended catch will come to investigate.

Aso with the digital age we live in ive read about traps that have methods of alerting you when they have been sprung which I think would be very useful, also traps that allow you to look inside via a media device, to see what you caught and how its doing, to me though this is a bit pointless however

if you took it one step further and put a non target release door and a way of opening it remotely it could save you a lot of hassle from the owner of tiddles lol

I think modern methods of manufacture and materials and design could help in the making of traps seem more humane to some people and I feel yes there would be added expense but would it be worth it.

And yes before someone says what about a live decoy, say your trapping a fox and you have a trap with a chicken in it yes it may makes noise, but it needs tending too leaving the dreaded human sent lol, and in modern times is it ethical

forget ethical, it's totally illegal.......

as for the rest, it sounds like a load of crap

maybe you should have named the post, foxes, as it seems that's what your after, there's lots of traps that we use that don't even need baits

as for being more humane, I cant see how, as long as your following the guide lines, provide water and covered, and checked every 24hrs pref 12hr,

I think that it would not take long for a call trap to draw in a two legged fox, as for trap placement being "POT LUCK " that might be true for you but its not for the men or women who have to catch foxs as part of their livelihood , the tools for the job are out there ,you just have to know how to use them.

• Like 6

If trap placement was pot luck then I would be skint lol .... The smell of the bait would not pass through a hedge .. What is this hedge made of lead ... I think you are trying to over complicate what in essence is a pretty straight forward practice if you understand your quarry ..........

• Like 1

I dont get into arguments on here so if there your views fine, other animals will respond to the distress call of a rabbit like weasel or stoat just to name a couple, having animals as a decoy not legal larsan trap with a call bird, And what im saying about pot luck is yes you use your knowlage of the intended prey but i will give you a analigy . picture yourself in a field the size of a football pitch the grass is 4/5 inches long,

your looking for something the size of a match stick how long will it take to find? say that match stick sized thing is a grass hopper cherping away do you thing it would be far easier to find.

Just to be clear; using live bait is illegal.

There is however, an exemption for the use of corvids in larsen traps providing certain conditions are met.

Anyone using a chicken (for example) to attract a fox into a cage trap would end up in serious trouble, and give law abiding trappers a bad name.

The best success rates that I've seen on a keepers trap round were where the keeper had a huge line of tunnels and moved traps around depending on where he was working at that time and where vermin had been seen.

All of this stuff has already been developed,you can buy electronic squeekers for the states used to draw foxes etc into traps/snares,remote monitor traps are available and i even saw on youtube the other days some guys with a cage around a hog feeder that had a camera link to the guys iPhone,when the hogs went in,it sent live footage to his phone,then he could press a button and drop the trapdoor.

I can see the need for this type of technology( as stated earlier, great watch btw) for trapping large numbers of "hogs" as they become trap shy after seeing one of their own fall victim, or for urban pest controllers as a camera feed could save time, but for a working trap line or a keeper on his beat, id prefer to walk it, traps need to be maintained, tunnel entrances kept clear of vegetation, larsons fed and moved when needed, tripped snares re-set etc, replacing the basic husbandry tasks related to trapping in place of technology removes the effort and skill, trapping in my opinion is as much about thinking as doing, eg, to catch a stoat think like a stoat etc lets see technology do that

The idea came to me when i was speaking to the a keeper friend of mine last summer, he said he was sick of young rabbits setting off his bridge traps, even though he has cages over them and narrow entrances ect.

I joked you need a distress call of a rabbit to deter the rabbits draw in the stoat, he thought the idea was good idea.

I set about researching the idea of a call trap couldnt find it anywere spoke to a patent attorney set about designing it, my first idea was going to be cheap to make, robust and maintenance free, simples lol.

After going through the design and application process and i got my filling number i set about speaking to a few people, the first port of call was kill germ as its not far from me, the guy i spoke to was very impressed with what i took to show him but said as a company its not really something they want to develop as there main thing is bugs, germs ect which i expect is most pest controllers bread and butter.

He did however pass on the names and details of some companys, trap makers ect and large organisations that do animal research studies and are governing bodies in uk the trap makers was not interested from a manufacturing point of view as they make/import traps not calls.

On to the large organisations most of which was also interested however they also wasnt keen on manufacturing, The last port of call was game and wild life conservancy trust in hampshire, the contact i spoke to there was also interested in the idea he also said that they was doing studies on the concept at the moment, when i spoke to him regards a patent to protect the idea says no it makes no odds to them as they just do studies and nothing they develop would be for a commercial market.

The last phone call i made i was told there was a call of this nature made in the states dis heartend was not the word after all the people i spoken too and the patent searches and no one had heard of it, I did find the call from all predator calls us its a basic thing but cheap enough.

The call i thought up has more features and is more suited to the elements, but the electronic call was just one embodiment of my idea it came as a secondary thought after i spoke to the patent attorney as he told me to cover all bases.

I must admit the idea has took a back seat, and after some comments maybe there is no room for it in this market as people seem blinkered in there beliefs of how trapping should be done, i did think though the scientists who are researching this idea at the moment wouldnt be wasting there time doing it if they half thought it wasnt a good idea, maybe im not as daft as i think i am lol.

ATB 2.8

There have been some interesting ideas passed on this thread (which makes a change)

I wonder of the legality of checking traps with a camera or suchlike device as most statutes dictate that they must be checked within each 24 hours ... ?

As for the call trap mentioned above by 2.8, again a good idea in principle but I do forsee a few shortfalls -

Cost - is usually the main contributing factor it seems. If the cost is in excess of a simpler more readily available trapping device then I think that this will be enough to put most trappers (and their employers) off

Portability - could be an issue. It would need to be quick to assemble and site.

Simplicity - this is the key to any trapping I believe. More can be caught by a knowledgeable and experienced trapper with a simple wire snare than a thousand poorly set traps of high value.

Attractive - this is the biggest shortfall I think in this case. I cannot think of a single situation on my trapline where I could use such a device without significantly increasing the risk of attracting thieves rather than vermin. Perhaps in the wilds of moorland it could be of use, but in lowland woodland I very much doubt it would be a starter.

When will someone re-manufacture the Imbra trap? It must be the simplest design of all, and probably the most humane and effective of the spring rabbit and vermin traps

OTC

There have been some interesting ideas passed on this thread (which makes a change)

I wonder of the legality of checking traps with a camera or suchlike device as most statutes dictate that they must be checked within each 24 hours ... ?

A web cam checking traps twice a day; particularly something like a squirrel trap in a customer’s loft, is a great idea.

I’d also be very interested to find out if that’s actually legal.