Stud Dogs Throwing Wind

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the baked bean dog is good for a bit of wind

when the going gets tough heart is as important as wind .the drive to keep pushing on .wind will only take them so far.

A hare lives on the land 24/7 it knows every inch of it and where and how to find the escape routes, also the hare by natural selection it is usually the fittest,healthiest and strongest hares that su

I agree with you snoop , drive should be a given in any working dog , without it , it's useless . I consider myself a half descent distance runner ,and I always give 100% , but if I tried to keep with a top class distance runner , I would tie up , cos of the lactic and have to slow down , cos I wouldn't have the wind .

it can have all the determination in the word, but if the dogs not got the cardio system , it's got to slow down .

that's what I thought, because if the stamina very very good in the 1st place, he drive , bottle, call it what you want, wont have to be tested to the full 1st, the lungs will . it don't matter if it had the heart of a lion, if there nout left in the engine room, it carnt run . same with pits a lot of lost fights because they run out of steam loose energy+strenght , they haven't lost heart just carnt fight back enough to win, gameness is what there bred for and its what makes them the dogs there are, but if the tank empty any type of dog will be finished .?

To my mind luck is a big part, getting the right genetic bits from the right ancestors is in part a gamble. I’ve had litter mates that were like chalk and cheese as far as stamina goes. Stamina comes from getting the right mix of muscularskeletal and cardiovascular systems along with drive. There are two types of heart, physical and psychological, and to get the best of both you can get no better than a greyhound. They have the psychological heart and most will run themselves to the point of injury and they also have the physical heart/cardiovascular systems, on average their heart size is around a 1/3 bigger pound for pound than normal dogs, plus a superb set of lungs and more oxygen carrying red blood cells. Alas they also have a very high proportion of fast twitch muscle fibres which means the muscles burn out quickly.

So if you have a lightly framed type with a good balanced ratio of muscle fibres from the non greyhound ancestors that then inherits the greyhound’s cardio vascular system and drive then you’re likely on to a winner. My luck I’d likely get one with the muscles of a greyhound and the heart of a collie.

Well bred tried amd tested saluki cant be beaten on wind and prey drive

yeh like sandy on about, greyhound put to good salukis over years , = coursing dogs of today , nothing better than the 2 breeds above for speed, stamina, only prob whippet for quick acceleration under 50yds faster than the greyhound.

you would think these dogs were running a marathon ffs.theve only to run a minute or 2 .who trains the hare its jumping out of its bed and can out run some of these dogs weres its fitness com from.

good point, I think the best hares the ones that take a dog on a bit of a trek are the ones that are already fit by being run by dogs plenty of times before, having said that I think the hare has a great natural stamina anyway