Religion/god Given Rights..

but are feelings not just feelings like we can feel hot and cold, pain and joy, why do we call all pleasurable feelings good and the not so pleasurable ones bad or even good and evil or perhaps god and the devil

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Religion was invented by very clever people, to further their own aims and to keep the common people in shackles, and discourage free thinking, all the main patriarch based religions are the best fair

One thing is fact when all looks lost and you have a millisecond to contemplate your life it's not god you think about or cry out for think about redemption from ... What enters your head for that bri

Growing up we was told theres 2 things a man doesnt have to justify......his faith or his football team ............for me only a complete ignoramus would mock another mans beliefs and ask him to jus

Posted Images

I understand religious belief is a personal thing to a person, its the orginised masses that dictate how we should feel and dictate you'r lifes belief that get to me, a person should have the freedom to express there beliefs anyway they believe (as long as it does not interfere with other people) but to actively have a group of people on a top tier per se to tell masses how they should live, what 'sins' they've committed is not in my personal belief religion. So long as said person is not murdering, pillaging and raping crack on lol.

WILF, I've tried to make my feelings clear, so you'll know I'm no believer but that post was very worthy of a 'like' even from someone like me. That explains faith and personal religion perfectly.

You say you are not a believer Born, but surely you believe in the things we know through scientific discovery and faith in the people who discover them? Science is all about faith when you think about it, it's what keeps you ploughing on into the unknown. Faith that your beliefs will carry you though! :D Just because you don't hold them about a deity up in heaven don't mean it not the same thing, it still concerns the same part of the human make up. You could even say it's this that gives us our soul, even if you're not of a religious persuasion.. :thumbs:

PS. Hope that makes some sort of sense, my painkillers kicked in half way though typing it.. :blink::laugh:

but are feelings not just feelings like we can feel hot and cold, pain and joy, why do we call all pleasurable feelings good and the not so pleasurable ones bad or even good and evil or perhaps god and the devil

Was kind of talking about this on the Dogs/Wolves thread mate, I reckon it all has a root in our biological needs and functions. For most of the time humans were on the planet the foods we now consider bad for us were in short supply and are the most vital types of food we need. We have evolved to respond favourably to them because they were extremely good for us at the doses we could get from nature. Our body rewards us for eating them by making them taste and smell good. :thumbs:

Was kind of talking about this on the Dogs/Wolves thread mate, I reckon it all has a root in our biological needs and functions. For most of the time humans were on the planet the foods we now consider bad for us were in short supply and are the most vital types of food we need. We have evolved to respond favourably to them because they were extremely good for us at the doses we could get from nature. Our body rewards us for eating them by making them taste and smell good. :thumbs:

i reckon god was a miss spelling of good :D

Got to love arguing about religion lol its the ultimate question no one can prove one thing over another.

Hail Thunor

always sorted by long nights in the pub and vast amounts of alcohol but the strange thing is you can never remember what you all agreed on, the hand of good at work

Have I got you thinking ? :)

One is a physical response and one is emotional.....that's fairly simple as you have pointed out.

I agree with everyone about personal liberty in belief.....you don't need a priest to tell you how to think or feel, you have to work it out on your own......that's always been the message of the bible as I understand it.

The fact that these things are hijacked by various clubs who want to control you is no surprise, it's always been the same in all things and continues to this day.....

The bible is a whole book of parables IMHO, not to be taken in a literal sense but to be contemplated and fitted into your own experience.

The bible understands the nature of men very well indeed if your take time to read it and think about what it's saying.

When bad deeds are done by priests or in the name of religion, it's just bad men doing bad things......that's pretty common from what I can see, nothing special there.

Edited by WILF

Have I got you thinking ? :)

One is a physical response and one is emotional.....that's fairly simple as you have pointed out.

I agree with everyone about personal liberty in belief.....you don't need a priest to tell you how to think or feel, you have to work it out on your own......that's always been the message of the bible as I understand it.

The fact that these things are hijacked by various clubs who want to control you is no surprise, it's always been the same in all things and continues to this day.....

The bible is a whole book of parables IMHO, not to be taken in a literal sense but to be contemplated and fitted into your own experience.

The bible understands the nature of men very well indeed if your take time to read it and think about what it's saying.

When bad deeds are done by priests or in the name of religion, it's just bad men doing bad things......that's pretty common from what I can see, nothing special there.

i will level with you, i have said on numerous occasions i am not religious but do believe in a god(good) :whistling: its all around us, its the things that make us feel alive in short its nature, the universe the cosmos. maybe the bible is a rule book on how to feel good :thumbs:

Its funny how a book on a set of books that was wrote all them years ago can still have this affect and cause debate,

The thing I find interesting is when science proves that what is said is true, like only last year or so did scientist prove that the human dna started from 2 people, adam and eve perhaps?

WILF, I've tried to make my feelings clear, so you'll know I'm no believer but that post was very worthy of a 'like' even from someone like me. That explains faith and personal religion perfectly.

You say you are not a believer Born, but surely you believe in the things we know through scientific discovery and faith in the people who discover them? Science is all about faith when you think about it, it's what keeps you ploughing on into the unknown. Faith that your beliefs will carry you though! :D Just because you don't hold them about a deity up in heaven don't mean it not the same thing, it still concerns the same part of the human make up. You could even say it's this that gives us our soul, even if you're not of a religious persuasion.. :thumbs:

PS. Hope that makes some sort of sense, my painkillers kicked in half way though typing it.. :blink::laugh:

Malt, you're of course right. Faith imo is a human survival mechanism, it keeps you focused and moving forward when all logic sugests you are done and to give up. Religious beliefes are simply an expansion of that faith mechanism, a way of making sense of the world at a time when logic and knowledge alone cannot. "Fear of the unknown", faith and religious beliefes eliminate that and make for a mentally stronger individual and consiquently better survivor. I have faith, I need it to get by day to day as a human, that however doesn't mean I believe in an intelligent creator that can or cannot be explained by logic. :thumbs:

As for my faith in science, yeah you're right, I understand that any and all scientific knowledge could tomorrow be turned upside down with new observations and empiracle evidence. But the difference is I put my faith in science because it has proven to have the lowest probability of being wrong. Likewise I am an Atheist because I believe that statistically the chance of their being any type of deity is negligeable and only limited to a positive probability due to the fact it's impossible to absolutely prove or dissprove anything. :thumbs:

There's no right and wrong, just high probability and low probability.

• Like 1

Acts 10:13

And there came a voice to him: Rise, Peter; kill and eat.

Genesis 9:3 - Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Amen to that huh folks ;)

Edited by WILF
  • Like 2