Terriers V Spaniels

clipo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen a lot of spaniels work, also labs, other gun dogs, a large range of terriers, some hounds and mongrels. . . . .   Whatever you say, you are going to put someones back up, and if I had a po

3/4 spaniel x terrier only 6 1/2 months but so busy finding all the time

Is it just me , but i cant see that you can compare a spaniel to a good terrier for bushing !! I am not knocking spaniels , ive got two . But to put a well trained gun dog in to a large area of gorse

Posted Images

I will mate, I've been having a few troubles lol. . . . but I'm due a visit I think! Don't take it personally. . . . I've been a miserable, reclusive b*****d!

well snap out of it and get down here be good to see you hope your mom and dad are well

ive got a berdie x grey x jrt i took her beating for the first time she loved it and she had a pricked bird on the picking up and bought it right back to hand shes about 18 tts but works the brambles like a jrt and got the lurcher speed im going to try and get her on the whistle now i was well chuffed with her

One of the best bushing dogs i have seen years ago was a jackrussel x collie.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

your description of a spaniel is basically the kennel club field trial dog, they work for 20 minutes, in a game rich area in light bracken, don't need a good, or even a indifferent, nose. they hunt by drive.

before field trials started spaniels had voice, cockers were known for their merry voice and they said any good spaniel

could tell you by its voice which game it was hunting . spaniels were also not expected to retrieve.

in the states, western and eastern Europe spaniels are still worked as rough shooting dogs, not foreverer pipped on a whistle

terriers hunt more more like the old school spaniels than modern trial spaniels do.

I owned spaniels and terriers before I got into lurchers and other hunting dogs. I kept the terriers for earth work, but they went ratting and obviously they came in useful tracking vermin along the river or in walls or cover from time to time. I dont like dogs being idle in kennels.

Like has been said, spaniels suit beating almost perfectly, or short-range flushing to the shot-gun or lurcher. Terriers, being bred to be single minded earth dogs will feck clean off on a scent and are understandably more selfish, and can be aggressive too especially around the kill. They would also be underground if they get chance, especially if they know where any nearby holes are, you can bet they will go check on them,.

I bred my own terrier/spaniels and they were in a league of their own, far better suited to driving cover than either spaniel or terrier, they hunted with voice on a hot scent, never went to ground, though would mark well. I had a bitch, Jess, that would hunt stuff back towards me regularly, she was the best hunting dog I had back then.

• Like 1

i had a cocker x pat shes a great bushing dog can be a bit hectic for ferreting ,especially if other dogs are there.

could be prone to sinking if she chased them in,but she came as an adult,had the cocker love of being round people but had the

nasty streak i like about terriers

I used my cocker, instead of my springer. I got a heap of foxes back then, and though my old springer would hunt/mark them, and bay one up if it was winged, the cocker was more driven, and would kill one without hesitation, he got a bit too keen on fox (with hindsight), I had to dig to him a few times, and he eventually died hunting a fox over a road. Either of the spaniels would have been fine though. The terrier was a straight crossbred russell/fell, bred out of 2 good local lines we keep for digging mostly.

Cocker

thedog4theday.jpg

Springer

Bennywithagooddaysbag.jpg

The terrier, she was our most useful digging terrier for years

028.jpg

This is Jess. Out doing some thick hedgerows and rough corners for rabbit (and stuff). This kind of hunting was not like my usual everyday hill/forest ground, it was like mini hunting holidays just down the valley on the odd weekend, great fun with a mate or two to carry the haul back to the motor!

051.jpg

• Like 2