F.a.o Whippet Owners

I'll be honest, the thing that holds my dog back is that his drive combined with the nature of his build . . . . leads to problems. My lad is big and well built for a whippet, at 22 " tts and about 18 kilos. . . a few folk on here have seen him work, and they can testify to his stamina, prey drive and hunting ability, he also has a good strike, and is smart. He can ferret, lamp, hunt in the day and has managed to bag most species one way or another. The problem is, working him most days on whatever land I can, regardless of the risk, leads to at least two, usually more periods of lay up, while hes being put back together, each season. His other flaw, is perhaps that he is too driven, and for the first 3 years of his life, I struggled to reign him in and get him really obediant, as he was hunting mad. However, I really think, if I could just thicken out his bone structure and body a bit, he'd be a bit special. Maybe.

Still, a lot of folk on here seem to think a lurcher is automatically going to be better all round at hunting, than a whippet . . . and that's just not true. I've been out a few times with lurchers and my lad has found more game in the day, or had a better catch rate on the lamp etc. However, i've also been out and on the way home, the lurchers and sleeping soundly, while my lad bleeds like a stuck pig on the back seat!

• Like 2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whippets,..Peds or Non-Peds,.are fabulous wee hunters,...and it is their amazing innate,.prey drive,. that makes them so dynamic and mind blowingly impressive...I've seen whippets catch rabbits,. that

I've seen a few run and owned one too. Some of you know that he had to be pts last year due to a brain tumour at 2 1/2. I really like their temperament, prey drive and acceleration. I think they're tr

and again :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Add beddy to a whippet and all you get is hairy whippets that hold the rain and get snowballed up. They are far less obedient too. :whistling:

seen a good few smooth coated crosses as for obedience dont know about that :hmm: seen some good whippets but there not for the ground i run me dogs

I'm only winding you up Northernlite. My whippets would freeze to death where you hunt.

That's the big problem with mine. Although they will work in driving cold rain, after an hour or two they look so miserable i generally pack up. They seem to feel hard rain like pin pricks. Definitely a downside for the breed.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, the thing that holds my dog back is that his drive combined with the nature of his build . . . . leads to problems. My lad is big and well built for a whippet, at 22 " tts and about 18 kilos. . . a few folk on here have seen him work, and they can testify to his stamina, prey drive and hunting ability, he also has a good strike, and is smart. He can ferret, lamp, hunt in the day and has managed to bag most species one way or another. The problem is, working him most days on whatever land I can, regardless of the risk, leads to at least two, usually more periods of lay up, while hes being put back together, each season. His other flaw, is perhaps that he is too driven, and for the first 3 years of his life, I struggled to reign him in and get him really obediant, as he was hunting mad.

However, I really think, if I could just thicken out his bone structure and body a bit, he'd be a bit special. Maybe.

surely that would no longer be a whippet but a lurcher?

Still, a lot of folk on here seem to think a lurcher is automatically going to be better all round at hunting, than a whippet . . . and that's just not true. I've been out a few times with lurchers and my lad has found more game in the day, or had a better catch rate on the lamp etc. However, i've also been out and on the way home, the lurchers and sleeping soundly, while my lad bleeds like a stuck pig on the back seat!

Y.I.S Leeview

I'll be honest, the thing that holds my dog back is that his drive combined with the nature of his build . . . . leads to problems. My lad is big and well built for a whippet, at 22 " tts and about 18 kilos. . . a few folk on here have seen him work, and they can testify to his stamina, prey drive and hunting ability, he also has a good strike, and is smart. He can ferret, lamp, hunt in the day and has managed to bag most species one way or another. The problem is, working him most days on whatever land I can, regardless of the risk, leads to at least two, usually more periods of lay up, while hes being put back together, each season. His other flaw, is perhaps that he is too driven, and for the first 3 years of his life, I struggled to reign him in and get him really obediant, as he was hunting mad. However, I really think, if I could just thicken out his bone structure and body a bit, he'd be a bit special. Maybe.

my whippets pretty much the same mate hes only 2 and a half and the amount of injurys hes had is unreal and its all down to his prey drive he is do or die its sometimes hard to watch

A large number of Whippets are prone to injury because of that "prey drive" being through the roof, its the same with all dogs that have that drive in abundance its often there undoing. They get focused on the prey and sadly with a large amount of sighthounds they're not aware of their surroundings and thats when a lot bangs arise, coupled with their light build they get knocks.

Whippets or Lurcher I'll always choose a Lurcher but I can see the appeal of a Whippet, cracking wee dogs fair play.

• Like 1

love the whippet posts boys. ive tried whippet and seen a few run. they break to easy and the cold wind and rain actually hurts them. apart from this i think they are kool little dudes. :yes: and i would like one again one da :yes:

Really don't get the whippets break easily? Ask anyone what rhyl tip is like to run any dog my whippet does fine.

• Like 1

A large number of Whippets are prone to injury because of that "prey drive" being through the roof, its the same with all dogs that have that drive in abundance its often there undoing. They get focused on the prey and sadly with a large amount of sighthounds they're not aware of their surroundings and thats when a lot bangs arise, coupled with their light build they get knocks.

Whippets or Lurcher I'll always choose a Lurcher but I can see the appeal of a Whippet, cracking wee dogs fair play.

you add bull to that and you get a megalomaniac on steroids :tongue2::tongue2:

:yes:

Thats why they added the coillie, as chilled as Bob Marley. :D

:yes:

Thats why they added the coillie, as chilled as Bob Marley. :D

Chilled as Bob Marley be f****d! You want to see a couple of the collies on a couple of farms we go on :icon_eek: , chilled!? :o:no:

• Like 1