Newcastle/sunderland

If your going to try to measure " Rivalry " then I think there are certain things that need to be considered

! The size of the clubs involved

2 the , history , it must be a long standing rivalry

3 The relevance ,it must be of interest to the neutral ,,, a local rivalry that nobody else gives a fk about is just ..well ..local

4 Success ,if its between two successful clubs , then that trumps a rivalry between two perennial also rans ,

ll this is taking for granted that the sets of fans hate each other , because regardless what people think , the level of hatred is probably equal nationwide .

any other criteria for measuring " rivalry " ?

Id say areas stands for a lot............rivalries dont just happen on match day they are lived day in day out in schools,workplaces,pubs..............footballers dont give a f**k for club rivalries any more we know that so id dispute how much success really means in terms of rivalry......

Id also say the intensity of a rivalry will lag the more the 2 clubs play each other.......the reason clubs like my Hammers/Millwall or Wolves/West Brom and similar are so fierce is because it might not happen again for another 10 years !!

Totally agree about point 3........didnt really think of that before :thumbs:

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well shit in your hat and punch it......would you adam and eve it !!.....................He was right all along the boy ......well in Max   Im probably as relieved as you are that i havent spent th

i`m that engrossed in this i stuck my hand in the tin of roses without looking unwrapped it and i`ve had a fooking strawberry one

FFS I've never been so interested in whether somone has a ticket or not since watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Posted Images

Think I might of said Hartlepool for its size punches above its weight by consistently producing very good boxers/fighters

Male and female

If anyone knows how to upload vids off YouTube

Give gnash a treat and let him view as good a contest and atmosphere as you might ever see in

Uk

Yes but what is " very good fighters "......how many world champions ?..............If i remember correctly you were trying to tell me Hartlepool for its size/numbers had produced more fighters than an equal size/numbers part of East London had.............when i named you 3 former world champions off the same street in East London you didnt respond....hence in my opinion the statement itself is just a little bit silly.

Edited by gnasher16

Gnash your common sense is more NEVER wrong

Maybe you just used to getting your own way ?

Max stop talking like a girl......i dont have a problem with you why do you have one with me ?......If you want to debate things great but if you cant handle yourself in a debate without getting all victimised then dont have them.....simple.

Edited by gnasher16

Gnash you changing goalposts to suit you

I said hartlepool per head populous to London

Punches above its weight

Then you had to say east London or whatever

To bring population numbers down to suit your agenda

Like I say your def a bloke that has to be right lol

Go on YouTube and watch Hunter v Esham Pickering at borough hall hartlepool and watch a proper scrap and a atmosphere Upton park would be proud of man.

I cant be arsed searching for it......but it was about fighters out of Bethnal Green........you jumped in saying theres more out of Hartlepool and bla bla bla......i then named you 3 world champions off 1 street in bethnal Green and you said no more......sorry Max that how it was.

Why do i need to watch a good fight at Hartlepool :blink: .....theres good fights happening in small halls like that all round the country maybe you should get about more !

To be fair to Max i've heard more than an handful of professional player/managers (opposed to internet dog forum general section opines) talk in obviously overwelmed tones about thier suprise at the rivalry up there, looking back at the people who spoke about it and knowing what they have seen from thier respective careers i can only conclude a neutral would need to be there on the day opposed to there following thier own club, i'd imagine there's a difference.

Same as anything can only be peoples opinions........having been to most of the reknowned biggest rivalries in football both in England and in Europe as a neutral........Newcastle/Sunderland wouldnt get in my top 10........speaking about such subjects regularly as i do with other likeminded folk at England games home and away ive never heard anyone say its the biggest rivalry in England.....again that comes from neutrals...............so you just go with whatever you believe i guess....and i know what i believe.

Edited by gnasher16

I like professional opinion, something about it, no of course it's not the bible but when you have a few top of the shop fellas making seperate points about an obtuse subject from thier own volition....in different time-periods and you know they were there (opposed to some lieing fat mong on the www)....and to a man they talk and pull an overwhelmed kite....makes you think 'they've been involved in some right massive european and world event matches and they chose to mention the newky/roker thing.....again..

That said Trafford v Leeds is a big rivalry in the north of england and 654 million paid monies to view the manc derby , might not eqaute to rivalry but it's certainly a lot of intrest (100million more than the world cup final more intrest).

Edited by oneredtrim
  • Like 1

Here Gnasher if you bump into Danny Dyer ask him what he thought of the Old Firm day. Puts your wee English kick abouts to shame....lol

as for the point about boxers...wether it be UK, on the continent in Europe (usually eastern europe) or in the south american/latin countries...Usually, the best boxers, come from nothing. Poverty stricken places.

In the UK we've had lads come from the north east, north west, scotland, the valleys, and the east end of london. All poverty stricken areas. Theres a few up and comers at the minute, breaking into the pro ranks, got a lad called josh leather from just up the road, simon vallily from m'bro and bradley saunders from up county durham way (is he from hartlepool..?)

but generally the majority come from poverty in my opinion. and the places ive mentioned are low income, working class, areas.

as for the point about boxers...wether it be UK, on the continent in Europe (usually eastern europe) or in the south american/latin countries...Usually, the best boxers, come from nothing. Poverty stricken places.

In the UK we've had lads come from the north east, north west, scotland, the valleys, and the east end of london. All poverty stricken areas. Theres a few up and comers at the minute, breaking into the pro ranks, got a lad called josh leather from just up the road, simon vallily from m'bro and bradley saunders from up county durham way (is he from hartlepool..?)

but generally the majority come from poverty in my opinion. and the places ive mentioned are low income, working class, areas.

.......& I always thought they come from the middle classes......:-)

Cracks me up some of these little pricks who claim to be all hardcore about their clubs yet wont travel more than a bus ride to watch them !.......Comparing all the big derby games to their own clubs instead of to other big derby games........as for little known boxers from little known areas........i am the greatest chess player in my street !!......thats right......

I.........AM..........THE........GREATEST !!