• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

put a pic up it will be alot easier to comment on

heal a lot quicker with a few stitches in it

Would definitely say a couple of stitches or staples needed there. Don't think it will heal otherwise.

Posted Images

the longer you leave it the more the edges will dry and the less chance there is of staples/stitches holding, if the edges have started to dry then best just to clean it twice daily with salt water and keep an eye out for any infection, it will take longer to heal and leave a bigger scar than if it was closed as already stated.

Bit of manuka honey 15+ (£4.99 in Aldi) will help it mate

I've had excellent results using honey on wire rips, smear it on the wound 2 or 3 times a day, leave it on for 20 mins or so then let the dog lick it off. I'm in the middle of healing a wound that's larger than that and it's coming on a treat :thumbs:

IMG_1282_zpsf65a7e8b.jpg

This took about 4 or 5 weeks to heal without stitches. I trimmed the surrounding hair washed it twice a day and let the dog keep it clean, but kept an eye on him.

I would staple it if it happened again...

As paulus said if your going to staple it, it needs doing asap......

Edited by DeerhoundLurcherMan

Had an almost identical wound on my bitches chest last year. Took 6 weeks to close and it was still a mess for 2-3 weeks after that.

I would definitely staple (or stitch) in future but it's probably too late for that now. As Paulus says once the edges have started to dry and curl it's a much more difficult job.

Manuka honey is fantastic stuff. Wouldn't be without a jar in my cupboard :thumbs:

One of my lurchers has done a similar sized tear to the OP's dog: on her flank. 10 days later, without stitching it is well filled up with new granulating tissue and in another week won't even be seen. Yes, If I'd noticed it I'd have stapled it, but she's very rough coated and I didn't see it until I saw her licking the area the next day :blink::icon_redface:

If the dog is healthy, fed a good quality diet, a wound of that size should heal within a fortnight UNLESS the dog nags at it continually, keeping it open. Fine for it to lick it a little, on and off throughout the day: keeps it moist, and dog saliva contains enzymes which stop bacteria thriving, but keep an eye on it. Wish my camera was working so I could show you this similar tear on my bitch.

Lol stitches and staples ??? Think that's a bit far fetched unless its worse than the photo suggests I'd just put sudacrem on it and keep it clean

lol.....stapled or stitched the dog is out in the field quicker doing their job....how's that far fetched?..
  • Like 1

I had the same thing happen to my dog but it was bigger i clipped around it was washed it with salt water 3 times a day and was putting honey on it wish i had it stapled my dog was out for 6 weeks it healed okay but was slow

atb