Hare Or Fox?

Pre- ban, which was the hardest course for a lurcher, a fox or a hare?

Pre- ban my 3/4 grey/collie caught plenty of hunted up hares-not many given 100 yds law I admit.

I've never been into coursing foxes in daylight or at night.But the foxes I've seen lamped on video all seem to have two dogs onto the fox. Even with two dogs, the fox seems to be very difficult to nail.

So, which is the best at evading capture, fox or hare?

A dog that dont really want a fox or the sharp end will make a fox look good..don't get me wrong some can shift..and turn very well ...a dog with a good running style will make short work of catching one...but like sailor30 a hare is a different league..day or night ..

• Like 1

A dog that dont really want a fox or the sharp end will make a fox look good..don't get me wrong some can shift..and turn very well ...a dog with a good running style will make short work of catching one...but like sailor30 a hare is a different league..day or night ..

true, with foxes it if the dog really want's it, but have seen good fox dogs proven still loose the fox (solo) a fox can turn as good as hare, and a fox knows his escape routes a 100% .A hare in the day got to be the hardest to catch :yes:

• Like 1

Depends on what you into hare are quicker but a get a right buzz when the fox has bin ran before and nose what it's doin and starts whip it's turns in an out dog sit sitting on its arse.cant get any better thn dog just puts a stop to it ;)

and do you not think hares can be just as wise? hare is or was far surperior to any fox

in my opinion you cant compare the two its 2 completely different running styles the hare is obviously a better COURSING challenge than a fox. a dog who is not committed can make a fox look better than it is. take nothing away from a fox they can turn on a dime and I have seen some great courses more often than not on the lamp with the use of more twists and turns than flat out speed.

• Like 1