Whats Your Worst Type Of Place To Dig? Sand,rock,peat,drains?

47 members have voted

1. 1. worst kind of ground to work?

• rock and fell ground
    • rock borrans
    • sand
    • peat and peat drains
    • land drains
    • woodland
    • other/please state

intresting stuff lads the only digs ove seen in ash and tips is in johny blucks books...but lets not go their! we have had a couple slip down running sand while not ment to and its real bad stuff! we trenched them to make it a bit better, you know that dune sand with that grassy stuff in it! running peat holes and drains are very bad, i was always told its ok to put a dog into some where were waters running out of but not where water runs into? what you all recon to that?

Ive lost more to sand than owt else, so voted for sand.. but had some real hard do's in the crags/rocks... a week on the hill getting a terrier back isn't the best, but getting 'em back alive is better than digging to a dead yin.

All the best for the rest of the season lads, stay lucky

DnN

• Like 1

iv never dug in chalk I have seen it in book its looks a reyt tw#t to dig is it like clay? for the lads who have dug in the stuff

no mate its nots like clay . It's not exactly digging but more like chipping away . always seems to take twice as long , Well it does for me anyway ?
  • Like 2

Where i did its all flinty stone, hardly any soil. The shallowest digs take longer than they should and forever cutting your knuckles and slicing your arms. Dogs get rubbed raw as well

Ive not dug in clay to a dog, but ive been banging fence posts in all summer into clay ground and i may as well have been doing it into concrete. I dug 6 x 4ft post holes the other day and it aint any easier when its wet. Sticks like shit and very hard work.

Edited by OldNog
  • Like 1

Chalk isn't too bad with the right tools, ie pick/graft/bar etc, clay is heavy when wet and solid when dry. My worst dig so far has been in a farm rubbish tip, buried gates, barb wire and farm machinery don't shift too well!

Atb

Molie

Dug to a fox in a farm tip once that was sat back inside a washing machine drum,was just out having a mooch and the terrier just dropped in and i found a old spade on the tip to dig her out with as well :laugh: ,here in Norfolk it's a lot of sand and clay and if your going to not dig in these your'll not get a lot of digging done that's for sure. ;)

Edited by fireman

Solid rock is the worst I have ever seen. Dogs enter and sometimes are never heard afterword. We just lost our best bitch who was bred only a week before. Didn't even see where she entered.... only an area. She was a great bitch.... she will be greatly missed.

Edited by jawn
  • Like 1

Ive got an old tip that been very productive over the years .....the ground on our hunt has a bit of everything on it and in over 5 years I don't think ive had an easy dig...plenty of shallow ones too but not easy and when you see 2mtr and above on the box you know your in for the long hawl ...some proper horrible stuff ....dug in the Cotswolds a few times or I mean chipped ...it wasn't much fun