Hound Packs

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It depends whether you are talking about hunting hounds killing foxes or Hounds being used to flush to a gun. There can be nothing has demoralising to a pack than having its quarry gunned down from un

In the defense of the mounted packs They are more horse orientated because that's whats helps to keep the money rolling in be it from the cap or the wealthy mounted masters. Most huntsmen are under al

Hunting with hounds now theres a contensious subject some people will follow but not understand , ive hunted with fell , mounted, and gun packs , bobbery packs , all in pursuit of charles ,over m

First time with the lunes dale i never had a clue what was going on i was only a kid lol , ON THIER day Second to none in the lakes under pw hounds and huntsman !!! . In some of the most challenging country and held in high regard throught the hunting fraternity

Edited by gonetoearth
  • Like 2

Well thanks for answering my question, but I went off to make a cuppa....& suddenly realised it was the Wensleydale with Maurice Bell I'd been out with!! Lol lol.......good answer though mate

Well thanks for answering my question, but I went off to make a cuppa....& suddenly realised it was the Wensleydale with Maurice Bell I'd been out with!! Lol lol.......good answer though mate

mr bell in his day was a formidible charactor And a respected hunts man
  • Like 1

Seen a good huntsman who knew how to keep a good pack of hounds show tremendous sport to a mounted field, a quiet man who allowed his hounds to do the work for themselves and pretty much left them to it to fathom out the route to take.......

Move on a few seasons said good man left for pastures new and a new huntsman inherited an excellent pack, sport was good for a while but the quality of the pack went downhill rapidly and due to too much interference the hounds lost the instinct to work things out for themselves and became too reliant on their huntsman.

Any average huntsman can hunt a good pack of hounds but it takes a special kind of man to develop a good pack over a few seasons yet a fool can ruin them in no time

Don't follow my local pack anymore, the huntsman is socially inept and the regimne at the top has upset too many landowners and shoots that they have lost too much land

I'd agree with wilbur, in days gone bye on a good scenting day a decent pack should of been able to be loosed from the box & could go find there own sport, hunt it, finish it & carry on looking for another, with out help.. On the flip side it took a good man to guide a pack towards a result on a poor scenting day.

But anyway, Iv seen good packs go badly on a day you thought would be good & bad packs have good days on days you thought would be bad..

All in all there ain't know such thing as a bad days hunting

I totally disagree! lol

I had a few days with a beagle pack a few years ago that had me totally frustrated and watching the group of amateur staff passing the horn about between them had me fuming that the masters, who should of known better, were letting them not only ruin the hounds but ruin the potential future hunt staff.

A northern pack between lancashire and the scottish borders is all i'm saying!

All in all there ain't know such thing as a bad days hunting

I totally disagree! lol

I had a few days with a beagle pack a few years ago that had me totally frustrated and watching the group of amateur staff passing the horn about between them had me fuming that the masters, who should of known better, were letting them not only ruin the hounds but ruin the potential future hunt staff.

A northern pack between lancashire and the scottish borders is all i'm saying!

. Never said beagling running round in baseball boots chasing hares. Lol raising there caps at every one they pass. Mad as a box of frogs Edited by gonetoearth

anyone can hunt hounds on day with plenty of scent and look good,wf

I totally disagree.

could you be so kind as to explain why you disagree,atb wf

Well first of all your statement started with the word "anyone".

Think about that for a second." Anyone can hunt hounds " you said.

If scent was the best ever and the fox was the slowest ever and the country was 200 acre fields with no covert or earths and the pack was made up of 4th season hounds there are still people who couldn't hunt them.

Even with fantastic scent hounds will still check, they'll still start on a fresh fox, they'll still run a heel line and if there's young entry then they might riot. Also foil can ruin the finest of scent and it takes a good man at his job to find it again.

These are all things that can happen any pack of hounds even when scent is shithot and it takes a good huntsman to spot these things and correct them, it helps too if he's got good whips.

Also if hounds are fit and fast and scent is good it takes a good man to stay with them whether on foot or mounted. Anyone can send on vehicles to look for them and make a phonecall but that's not hunting. When scent is good a good man will know his country and his hounds and shouldn't loose them.

Although I do know it can happen with the best.

Edited by neil cooney

I'd agree with wilbur, in days gone bye on a good scenting day a decent pack should of been able to be loosed from the box & could go find there own sport, hunt it, finish it & carry on looking for another, with out help.. On the flip side it took a good man to guide a pack towards a result on a poor scenting day.

But anyway, Iv seen good packs go badly on a day you thought would be good & bad packs have good days on days you thought would be bad..

It's true Alimac,

Scent can make a liar of you.

I used to at the meet ask the former huntsman (who had 55 years in the job) and the secretary (who first rode to hounds in the 50s) would there be scent today ?

They always gave me the same answer. "I don't know".

• Like 2

Gonetoearth, I've only ever been out with one foot pack, the lunesdale, how would you of rated them in there day? Compared to the other lakes packs?

i would also be intrested to know this, as the lunesdale is the only pack i have never been outwith.........

Gonetoearth, I've only ever been out with one foot pack, the lunesdale, how would you of rated them in there day? Compared to the other lakes packs?

i would also be intrested to know this, as the lunesdale is the only pack i have never been outwith.........
. HAVE