Hound Packs

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It depends whether you are talking about hunting hounds killing foxes or Hounds being used to flush to a gun. There can be nothing has demoralising to a pack than having its quarry gunned down from un

In the defense of the mounted packs They are more horse orientated because that's whats helps to keep the money rolling in be it from the cap or the wealthy mounted masters. Most huntsmen are under al

Hunting with hounds now theres a contensious subject some people will follow but not understand , ive hunted with fell , mounted, and gun packs , bobbery packs , all in pursuit of charles ,over m

Lunesdale huntsman and hounds s good as it gets end of

Yeah fantastic.....as you see em disappear over the sky line never to be seen again! :D would be a lot better if hounds and huntsman had to carry a few lead weights to slow em down a bit!

• Like 1

First time with the lunes dale i never had a clue what was going on i was only a kid lol , ON THIER day Second to none in the lakes under pw hounds and huntsman !!! . In some of the most challenging country and held in high regard throught the hunting fraternity

Most challenging country? Can't agree there old boy. Lunesdale hunt a lot of meadow and moorland, hardly challenging ground. Coniston, blencathra and ullswater hunt rugged scree and crag country with climbs that would knacker josh naylor. No doubting lunesdale hounds are the pack with the right drive and huntsman though

First time with the lunes dale i never had a clue what was going on i was only a kid lol , ON THIER day Second to none in the lakes under pw hounds and huntsman !!! . In some of the most challenging country and held in high regard throught the hunting fraternity

Most challenging country? Can't agree there old boy. Lunesdale hunt a lot of meadow and moorland, hardly challenging ground. Coniston, blencathra and ullswater hunt rugged scree and crag country with climbs that would knacker josh naylor. No doubting lunesdale hounds are the pack with the right drive and huntsman though
. Some of !!!! Old chap Edited by gonetoearth

At least with the coniston and blencathra once you get up those big bloody hills you stand a chance of seeing something in one of the valleys. The lunesdale country with those big rolling hills can be easy to loose them in. Iv only limited experience of any of those countries though so i'm talking from limited experience!

I know what you mean with the scree ect. But keep up with Paul and you know you have been out. Atb.

At least with the coniston and blencathra once you get up those big bloody hills you stand a chance of seeing something in one of the valleys. The lunesdale country with those big rolling hills can be easy to loose them in. Iv only limited experience of any of those countries though so i'm talking from limited experience!

Yep, I'll agree with that fella

Yep, I'll agree with that fella

Thank you, I get a small thrill when, on those rare occasions, someone agree's I'm right. :D

• Like 1

good thread,when i were in kennels, our old huntsman would say" theres nowt so queer as scent sept a woman",i have to agree in both aspects,

and quote from mr beckfords thoughts on hunting which everyone who has anything to do with our beloved hounds should have on their book shelf"!so many men ,so many minds, so many hounds , so many kinds.".

• Like 1

Interesting thread this, for me personally I would not expect my own pack to lose either a hare or fox because of a field of sheep. I would not accept sheep "foil" as some of the lads call it on as a reason to drop a line, hounds should go through sheep or cattle as if they are not there. Of course a field of cattle might run and split a pack, but then you should not be hunting where there are big fields of cattle. The biggest obstacle in my opinion to a pack on a line is a tarmac road. It takes a good hound to hunt the road, especially a hare on the road.

That brings me to another question, what is the quality that you look for in a hound and for that fact the fault you look for or hate the most. For me a good hound must have stamina, good strong tounge, be good and keen to beat cover and only open on the line when he is right. The thing I hate the most are hounds that are free (or babbling a you call it in England). Does my head in.

I was taken as a young kid to see the Linlithgow and Stirlingshire with it just being a few miles away and even as a kid thought there were hundreds of horses getting in the way of the hounds.

Have only followed the Blencathra once and really enjoyed it and the Melbreak a few times and thought they were a cracking pack of hounds. A mate used to go down and follow the Coniston with his terriers a lot and said they were brilliant but he is now in New Zealand hunting a mounted pack of harriers , pink jacket the lot !!

Reckon its easy to be critical of different packs but if you go to follow on foot you should go and enjoy your day and enjoy being in the hills and enjoy your hunting wherever you find it.

Interesting thread this, for me personally I would not expect my own pack to lose either a hare or fox because of a field of sheep. I would not accept sheep "foil" as some of the lads call it on as a reason to drop a line, hounds should go through sheep or cattle as if they are not there. Of course a field of cattle might run and split a pack, but then you should not be hunting where there are big fields of cattle. The biggest obstacle in my opinion to a pack on a line is a tarmac road. It takes a good hound to hunt the road, especially a hare on the road.

That brings me to another question, what is the quality that you look for in a hound and for that fact the fault you look for or hate the most. For me a good hound must have stamina, good strong tounge, be good and keen to beat cover and only open on the line when he is right. The thing I hate the most are hounds that are free (or babbling a you call it in England). Does my head in.

was going to say a babbler before I read the end of your post.

Have seen a pack this season who have that problem. Its ok if they get away together but if they split or just cast wide at a bad check those hounds that speak out of frustration or being stuck behind a fence just ruin the cast.

In a country with lots of sheep fences that hold up the pups it seems to encourage them to babble, dont know if thats a correct interpretation or what can be done about it?

Great questions :thumbs: .

As mentioned already one thing I hate is babbling but running mute is on a par . The attributes I favor most in a hound is drive I like a hound to keep focused and search even on a bad scenting day. All hounds are different but if you have a couple that will not give up in a pack then i'm happy. In the same breath you they have to be biddable .

I believe that a good pack have hounds that are good at different roles and the key and enjoyment of being a good huntsman is knowing each hounds weakness and strength.

• Like 3

was going to say a babbler before I read the end of your post.

Have seen a pack this season who have that problem. Its ok if they get away together but if they split or just cast wide at a bad check those hounds that speak out of frustration or being stuck behind a fence just ruin the cast.

In a country with lots of sheep fences that hold up the pups it seems to encourage them to babble, dont know if thats a correct interpretation or what can be done about it?

In my book if a hound is babbling on a fence it shouldn't be out. I try to build there confidence as a pup away from the hunting field . I have beagles so you can imagine how much of a problem it could be but they soon learn not to panic and find there own way. Also a good whip would and should be on hand in that situation.

• Like 2