Whats The Worst Ground ...........

There's shit ground everywhere, sometime you just have to work with what you have got and use some common sense and wish for plenty of good luck. :thumbs:

I have fields which look closer to flinty Beaches than fields, but if the game goes across them there's nothing you can do. :yes:
Places we used to run hares on a few years ago had flints the size of small footballs with plenty of smaller sharp ones as well, and some of the older members out with us had never seen a dog seriously injured there as long as they can remember? Luck? I don't know but it plays a part :yes:

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

steep woodland is the worst place I've had to run my dogs, and most times, there were occasions where I did not dare look and had to shut my eyes.. but you get used to it, and after a while it seems q

I've run me dogs on some rough stoney ground but I've seen more dogs kill themselves or seriously injure themselves on golf courses than anywhere else...

Posted Images

There's shit ground everywhere, sometime you just have to work with what you have got and use some common sense and wish for plenty of good luck. :thumbs:

I have fields which look closer to flinty Beaches than fields, but if the game goes across them there's nothing you can do. :yes:

Places we used to run hares on a few years ago had flints the size of small footballs with plenty of smaller sharp ones as well, and some of the older members our with us had never seen a dog seriously injured there as long as they can remember? Luck? I don't know but it plays a part :yes:

I was running some land the other night,near perfect last rabbit of the night,ran straight into a rock 6-4-2 ft,that had been pushed into the bottom of the hedge.luckily the old bitch has lost a good bit of pace or it could have been the end.

When your times up its up until then you have to make the most of it,man or beast.

• Like 1

i' ve ferreted quite a few disused quarries which were basically stripped out bare rock or spent chalk, even 50 yard dashes after rabbits were damaging some of the dogs feet, i wouldnt have enjoyed watching a dog run anything there which might have taken it on a long chase. none of the collie crosses evr get badly hurt though, just cuts on the pads where others were breaking and dislocating toes or ripping nails out. these were paid jobs i wouldnt work such places for pleasure

Worst I found are old aerodromes for some reason hares seem to like them once u slip u start praying the hare doesn't get onto the old runways the dogs feet get damaged and nails get ground down to quicks I stay away from them now not worth wrecking dogs

• Like 2

I've seen the local idiots running lurchers on waste ground, filled with broken glass, and used syringes.

When these forums talk of culling useless litters, I genuinely wonder whether the focus is on the wrong species.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem...

I would sooner walk away from rough ground, the uk, his big enough to find good running ground I want me dog to last for a few years,,, so why put a dog in a bad position,,,,,thats my motto

Waste of time challenging me to a lamping or ferreting trip down here then I live in the land of chalk and flint and if your dog hasn't got tough feet it won't last long ...........

WELL IFF YOUR DOGS OUT OF SNIPE THERES A GOOD CHANCE THAT SNIPE WILL HAVE GOOD FEET,,,COME ON KEN,,,LOL,,,, IVE GOT RABBITS TO CATCH TONITE,,, ARE WE STILL GOING TO SEE WHAT WE HAVE BOTH COURT OVER THE WEEKEND,,,,CAN NOT PLAY ANY MORE GOING HUNTING ,,,NOT KEY BOARD HUNTING,,,,ATB,, JIM AND BYE THE WAY I WILL STILL GIVE IT GO. IFF YOU DONT MIND :D

Edited by tjones3862

I would sooner walk away from rough ground, the uk, his big enough to find good running ground I want me dog to last for a few years,,, so why put a dog in a bad position,,,,,thats my motto

Its not possible at times to pick the ground the mutts end up running on,a chase that starts on green pasture can often end up on less desirable running ground,a dog often has to adapt to the ground it meets in the chase,or come second to often.I may understand where you are coming from,i hate to run a dog on flinty ground,or frozen stubble and attempt to steer away from such land,the quarry often as the last say on where the mutts end up.

• Like 2

Socks ,, you herd out from plod about your sleepover up Scotland ,,, pm if ya like

No mate they told us that we would hear within 40 days ... But we will be looking into the legal side of things tomorrow ..........

• Like 2