Power Lifting - Personal Best

110kg B/P

180kg D/L

And I physically just can't do squats properly. I actually can't even squat properly without a bar ffs, my body just doesn't allow it.

Go 4/5 times a week and had 2 weeks off for holiday and now it feels like starting again. I have strong shoulders, decent enough arms but my mates are pissing on me on the chest.... Work to be done!!!!!

you cant do squats because it brings back memories of when you used to squat down on a bell end.............. :laugh::laugh:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feck that mullarky hods of bricks and 20 foot scaffold tubes been lifted all day too fekin knackerd to start lifting for no reason.

anymore than 20 bunnys and i use drop off points lol

Yeh his mrs says ,,, it takes him all night to do,,,what he yoused to do all night

I was always led to believe that machines could be bad for you...especially the Smith Machine though I always done shoulder presses on it. I have bad shoulders now. Whether it's down to wear and tear from years of work or from the training I don't know. I did get a small, niggling shoulder injury when I was bench pressing and had to go light for a while. I think free weights are always better but when training alone the Smith Machine for shoulder presses was always easier.

Theres no right or wrong way its just personal preference................you will always lift more weight on a Smiths as the balancing is done for you......a 170kg bench press on a Smiths is a 150kg lift free weight................the Smiths Machines of years ago or the real cheapo Argos type ones are bad for you as they force you to lift in a certain position.................but todays commercial grade ones are fantastic we paid 18 grand for one last year its the most futuristic bit of kit ive ever seen...................but its still not going to do the hard work for you :D

• Like 1

Has your gym not got a Smiths Machine Lab ?..............Todays machines are smooth as anything and perfect for squatting as it does the balancing for you....................unless your competing in strongman dont get too wrapped up in numbers its more about how you lift not how much you lift ;)

Not this current gym mate. Basically it's an old school gym I go too now. I gave up the council run one about 9 months ago. Although it had all the new mod cons it didn't have very heavy weights. Now I pay half the price but the equipment is dated....things like Alan keys to select your weights sort of gym.... Lol

But in 6 months at this gym I got so much stronger than a year at the old one.

I see what your saying about numbers, but it kind of pissed me off gradually getting stronger and stronger and then last few weeks I feel I have went back the way. Basically I tried to cut weight to look my best for my summer holiday, I lost a stone and a half but think I lost muscle too..:-(

Thats how it is mate 2 steps forward 1 back..................im all for old school gyms but like anything a balance of both is great.......i was no fan of machines years ago until i got my first few injuries.......thats where machines really come into their own training around injuries...........

Anyway well in mate your sticking at it :thumbs: ......most people who are going to quit usually do so in the first 6 months.....so your on the way now.

Yeah I can see where machines can be a good help. There is 2 new state of the art gyms being built as we speak mate. They have got everything you need and more so we might move next year when our membership is up.

Still enjoying it.... I train with 2 other lads so it works well if one of us can't manage. Just started again with my protein shakes and supplements....can still see me doing this 20 years from now. Great feeling when I meet people who I haven't seen for a while and they notice changes, makes it all worth while....:-)

I dont like anything too state of the art or comfortable in gyms......subconsciously it alters your approach to lifting you just kind of lose the rawness and hunger you first set out lifting with..........but then i might just be an old dinosaur :laugh:

I can still load and unload 30 tons of kit in a day if that's counts :laugh: .....although the old back and knees get a bit stiff these days !! :laugh:

I resisted earlier in the thread when the fella said " im too knackered once ive done my hod carrying for the day ".....................well think how much easier it would be if you was actually strong/fit enough to do it in the first place :laugh: .............Training is good for you !.......Theres a reason im still doing daft things like racing up and down mountains for a bet into my 50,s......................and i put it all down to a lifetime of fitness ;)

When I was competing I could BP 180kg squat 270kg and DL 290kg ..... Won a few decent comps but I was never realy into it enough to go for it properly .... The lad I trained with was a world silver medalist ............

• Like 1

Air gun guy,,, were you doing shoulder presses to the rear,,,, we all did it like that,,, I don't anymore ..

I never do 1 rep Max's any more so would have no idea,,, but years ago when I was in my early 20's and only 13 stone ,, I could do 425 lbs dead lift ,,,and 3 plate squats. Feck knows what all that is in kg...

Today at 18 stone I only go up around 250 -300 lbs dead lift ,,, but for reps,,, and up to 250 lbs squats again for reps...

And bench would be no more than 220 lb

One thing I have always done,,,is stay strict my squats even now are down to parallel ,, and some days I go farther down depending on how I feel,,, I also like to mix legs up by doing front squats,,, but feck me I find them hard,,, but I enjoy doing them,,,,

Tell you somthing once I shed 100 lbs ile be awesome,,,lol.

Edited by TOMO

I can still load and unload 30 tons of kit in a day if that's counts :laugh: .....although the old back and knees get a bit stiff these days !! :laugh:

I resisted earlier in the thread when the fella said " im too knackered once ive done my hod carrying for the day ".....................well think how much easier it would be if you was actually strong/fit enough to do it in the first place :laugh: .............Training is good for you !.......Theres a reason im still doing daft things like racing up and down mountains for a bet into my 50,s......................and i put it all down to a lifetime of fitness ;)

Funny cause when I left school I went straight into fencing.... A physically demanding job, digging, chapping and lifting all day long and I thought I must pretty strong.... Lol

Until I went to the gym and couldn't lift shift. Few months back I took my friend, also a fencer and always been a strong lad and I couldn't quite believe how far he was behind me. Think it pissed him off actually.... Lol

when i done karate+weights, i was working full time hand stacking over 1000 kegs of lager a day in a local brewery. ive always been fit+strong for my size 6ft 13st, i used bp 250lb, rep 6 200lb x 3 , curl 80lb same reps. Not big weight's to the big lads on here, but deff good weight to lift for my size, . Maybe if hadn't worked 8 hours a day with job i was doing back then, maybe i would have lifted more, but am naturaly slim , and did feck my back up with my job, lot of strain on your lower back handling that amount of kegs a day, its left me with weak back now, so have to be careful what ever i do now :yes:

Air gun guy,,, were you doing shoulder presses to the rear,,,, we all did it like that,,, I don't anymore ..

I never do 1 rep Max's any more so would have no idea,,, but years ago when I was in my early 20's and only 13 stone ,, I could do 425 lbs dead lift ,,,and 3 plate squats. Feck knows what all that is in kg...

Today at 18 stone I only go up around 250 -300 lbs dead lift ,,, but for reps,,, and up to 250 lbs squats again for reps...

One thing I have always done,,,is stay strict my squats even now are down to parallel ,, and some days I go farther down depending on how I feel,,, I also like to mix legs up by doing front squats,,, but feck me I find them hard,,, but I enjoy doing them,,,,

Tell you somthing once I shed 100 lbs ile be awesome,,,lol

Once you get to my/our age Tomo there really is no reason to be doing too many core lifts.......your metabolism changes with age so the benefits of low rep heavy weight lifting is not what it used to be........if you havent packed on some size by a certain age you certainly wont pack it on like you could in your 20,s.......................its a bit like sex.......you dont go all out hell for leather any more.......just slow it down with more purpose to achieve the same results :laugh:

Once you have size its more about hitting a muscle from certain angles......biceps for example.....i,ll still do 4 or 5 different exercises within the same workout to hit them from every angle.....................always ending with the killer 21,s though i dont feel like ive trained if i havent done them :D

I did mate...behind the neck shoulder press on the smith machine. Never really done the press in front as I could always feel the upper most part of my chest working also even with the bench vertical which I didn't want. Behind the neck really isolates the front delt imo but unfortunately I think doin it on the machine has f****d my shoulder joints. I would do 2-3 light warm up then max at 3 sets of 6-8 reps. Thats the only press exercise I did on my delts. I would then do 4 sets of bent over raises for the rear delts and then 4 sets of lateral raises for outside of the delts...worked wonders for me.

Think we all did them like that,,, now I only do them on the smith machine with the bench ,,not verticle but on the first notch and to the front,,,

Wouldn't you have found dumbell presses more comfortable,,, ?

At our gym ,, we have a machine thing you put plates on ,, and shoulder press but each arm is independent ,, it also moves in a slightly curved plane

Dumbell presses would've been better allround but I usually trained myself so the machine was easier. The weight I was pressing was a nightmare getting form floor to knees then up to shoulder level. I felt I could've caused an injury doin that alone and when using the machine, all I had to do was press. What I was doing was working well so didn't change though thinking back I probably should have.

Once you get to my/our age Tomo there really is no reason to be doing too many core lifts.......your metabolism changes with age so the benefits of low rep heavy weight lifting is not what it used to be........if you havent packed on some size by a certain age you certainly wont pack it on like you could in your 20,s.......................its a bit like sex.......you dont go all out hell for leather any more.......just slow it down with more purpose to achieve the same results :laugh:

Once you have size its more about hitting a muscle from certain angles......biceps for example.....i,ll still do 4 or 5 different exercises within the same workout to hit them from every angle.....................always ending with the killer 21,s though i dont feel like ive trained if i havent done them :D

Seriously Gnasher - I see a new career as a sex therapist for the over 50s here....I'll be in touch in a couple of years... :laugh:

THLs Sex Columnist/Agony Uncle..... :thumbs:

• Like 1