Any Cross ?

One thing I have fancied for a while. . . or rather fancied doing.

Would be to bring over a really good stag hound bitch from a really well bred line, from the states, out of coyote dogs. The put a really well bred coursing dog over it. . . . .

I'd be interested to see what came out. I'm not saying it would be better than anything else, or even suited to what I do. . . . but i wouldnt mind having a go.

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are folks posting different dogs to what they own..isn't that strange or it just me. I wanted a first cross collie so bought one...I didn't go and buy a whippet and post shite on here saying I wi

That'd have a f***ing horrible accent mate. . . .

First x collie/grey....or something with more collie than greyhound.....do me fine...

Posted Images

Ideation- Here is a recently posted picture off of one of the few places that you can get regular information about Stags. It's from a couple of guys just North of the boarder in Sascatchewan, Canada. I think this is the take for three days of hunting. They had five more from the last day but did not put them on the pile.

zikb47.jpg

• Like 2

Here's the test that went with the photo:

Wow what a country. Fields smoother then their roads. Arrived just before dark caught one. The next day we caught 10 ,we had two doubles and dint miss one unlike the following day. Didn't get started real early went to some new country/caught 6 but we dumped alot more then that but tall grass and brush got in the way. The snow was crusty and the dogs were showing signs of fatigue. The last day we went in the morning for a bit caught 5 but my truck was threatening to break down(tranny trouble) called it good went home. The pic is me on the left in camo friend Kevin on right. The coyotes from the last day aren't in there.

smart pic, all the dogs look strong and capable, personally i like the strong front ends on them and i don't know if anyone else has noticed but for so much work on consecutive days after an obviously testing quarry there doesn't seem to be a lot of injuries / damage :thumbs:

Collie x for me. But two others i've seen was Deerhound/Greyhound x Collie/Greyhound & the other was a Bull/Greyhound x Collie/Greyhound.

I have seen a very useful deer/grey x collie/grey work a few times last season (sire to my pup).

He has died since the lining, had an accident on the lamp and had to be put to sleep.

I predict that Preban he would of been very very useful. I think he would of been great on hares, easily pull deer and shy away from nothing with teeth.

Just a prediction of course. He only saw rabbits :thumbs:

• Like 1

First x collie/grey....or something with more collie than greyhound.....do me fine... :thumbs:

Don't you ever fancy line bred type collie crosses borderscot?

Yeah Tomo...that'd do me fine mate.....collie cur x collie cur line bred stuff would do a job here.... :thumbs:

• Like 1

smart pic, all the dogs look strong and capable, personally i like the strong front ends on them and i don't know if anyone else has noticed but for so much work on consecutive days after an obviously testing quarry there doesn't seem to be a lot of injuries / damage :thumbs:

yeh ,same with Dans stags as well , they dont seem to get many injurys, they (stags) in general must have good feet+tough bodys. wonder if straight deerhound xs in the UK are as tough type dog .?

yeh ,same with Dans stags as well , they dont seem to get many injurys, they (stags) in general must have good feet+tough bodys. wonder if straight deerhound xs in the UK are as tough type dog .?

Simple answer .... Probably not !

ray cant help but think a wee outcross to one of these would do the deerhound breed a whole lot of good and if any deerhound breeder is thinking about it put me down for a bitch pup

• Like 1

ray cant help but think a wee outcross to one of these would do the deerhound breed a whole lot of good and if any deerhound breeder is thinking about it put me down for a bitch pup

Same here I would definitely take something similar if out crossed into a long line of working stags.