Before The Media Spin Starts!!

Please help educate as many people as possible about the facts and in this day and age we are able to have a big influence on the media machine!!!

Over the next few weeks, the public are going to hear stories in the media about 'greedy, ungrateful, lazy firefighters' that want to strike over their 'gold plated, expens...ive to the tax-payer, generous pensions' that are 'given' to them by the government, and that our pensions are the 'best around'.

The facts are these, I pay 14% into my pension, £400 per month (feel free to compare that to what any of you pay). The Gov are changing my pension and are going to make me work an EXTRA 10years to receive a LOWER pension, making me work until I'm 60. Over that 10years ill pay an EXTRA £45,000 into MY pension, and receive less per year than I would of under the current scheme! If I'm lucky to live until I'm 80 then this change will cost me PERSONALLY over £100,000!

Would you want a 60year old male or female firefighter coming into your home to rescue you and your
family?

On top of this, they are bringing in a new scheme, that if I don't meet their fitness standards at 50-60, they can dismiss me and keep ALL my pension until I'm 67. So the 40odd years of paying £400 a month into the scheme, they would keep! The Gov themselves had an independent review done that found it would be highly unlikely for FFs to carry out the duties or meet the fitness standards at age 60. They are now ignoring their own review!

It's true that under my current scheme I retire at 50 having worked 30 years. They might seem early to many people, but it's because I pay in the 14% and accumulate enough money to be able to retire at an earlier age. Maybe its a small perk for working Christmas Days, family Birthdays, Weekends and Evenings, and New Years etc for the 30 years as well as putting the publics safety before my own.

This Government are obsessed with tearing the public sector apart, this is the start. Mark my words that in a few years there will be talk of privatising the Fire Brigade and other public services. A way for the Government to make money off people's misery.

Firefighters need support, please ignore the medias spin on the facts. Firefighters DO NOT want to strike. But the Gov have us against the wall and are unwilling to listen to our concerns
  • Like 19

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please help educate as many people as possible about the facts and in this day and age we are able to have a big influence on the media machine!!! Over the next few weeks, the public are going to hea

The big majority join the job as a career and care deeply about the job and what it entails! This is not about wages its about being shafted and the public being fed spin! Massive cuts are coming and

I am a big fan of the fire service and admire them greatly.......however, this thread smells a little too "union" for my liking.   AND   The amount you earn from a job should have absolutely nothi

am i correct that you earn over 34k a year :hmm: why should your pension terms and conditions be any different to a soldier or anyone else who puts themselves in harms way for our country. i have no idea what there pensions are now, but i would hazard a guess not that generous :hmm:

i think everybody should have to work until there 67 as i have to. fire men should do the job until not fit to then get a job selling veg or factory work etc like the rest of the population..

dont think im not greatfull for the job you do as i am but you chose it to save lives i hope and not just for good pay and short working life..

just find another job if your not happy with pay and hours etc thats what i must do

am i correct that you earn over 34k a year :hmm: why should your pension terms and conditions be any different to a soldier or anyone else who puts themselves in harms way for our country. i have no idea what there pensions are now, but i would hazard a guess not that generous :hmm:

The army should be paid the same, not the other way around mate.. If you give your working life putting your life of the line in any form you should be suitably rewarded by your country in your retirement IMO.. It's like the Tories saying they were going to 'make work pay' to get people off benefit.. In my eyes that means making employers pay a wage you actually can live on, their version of it was to cut benefits so people couldn't live on them..

is it not a life style choice ??? is it not their decision to work at what ever they want to work at ???

they know the risks / the wages / the hours so why moan about it when they do the role they have chosen ???

:hmm: :hmm:

• Like 4

is it not a life style choice ??? is it not their decision to work at what ever they want to work at ???

they know the risks / the wages / the hours so why moan about it when they do the role they have chosen ???

Spot on pal. Makes me cringe when people say soldiers should be paid footballers wages etc. They know how much the pay is if they are not happy with it choose another career.

• Like 1

You're right.. Soldier, fireman, etc, they all chose to do what they do so why should they get treated any different from a road sweeper or a toilet cleaner eh? This country used to be all about rewarding bravery, it was one of the things that put the great in Great Britian..

You're right.. Soldier, fireman, etc, they all chose to do what they do so why should they get treated any different from a road sweeper or a toilet cleaner eh? This country used to be all about rewarding bravery, it was one of the things that put the great in Great Britian..

I always thought it was the jocks who put "great" into great britian? :whistling:

I always thought it was the jocks who put "great" into great britian? :whistling:
You really have got a thing for Lab ain't you mate? :laugh:

You really have got a thing for Lab ain't you mate? :laugh:

ssssshhhhhhhh don't tell him Mal :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1